Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LMBO, This might be true.
    NYPD: Got the email on 12/23/2015 at 7:11 PM

NYS trooper exam: 2013
    NYS trooper score: 96.70%
    List: 7xxx

Comment

• Originally posted by ten-4 View Post
      vista pretends to be otj but he runs a ad company for a law firm ... I think he is the son of the lawyer or someone who gets paid to come on this site and give out basic knowledge and impresses people with his knowledge.
      post deleted
      Last edited by Mavrick; 12-11-2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Deleted post.
        Last edited by swimmer410; 02-18-2014, 07:07 PM.
        Hoping for January

Comment

• Originally posted by swimmer410 View Post
          I was diagnosed with ADD at a really young age, I think I was around three or four. I was delayed a little bit when I was younger with talking and learning. I was sent to early intervention, had extra help in elementary school and I was put on medication for ADD and have stayed on it on and off since elementary school.

I was completely declassified by the time I got to high school, I graduated. I went to community college and I got my associates in Criminal Justice with great distinction (3.5GPA or above).

I'm now continuing my studies at John Jay and continue to maintain about a 3.48GPA there. Im also an athlete at this school.... I'm worried that having ADD and taking prescription medication (Adderall) might hold me back from being a police officer. I've taken a series of exams already over the past few years and passed all of them....so far. I can function without it, but it helps me focus with my school work.

Do you guys think this will hold me back from being a Police officer or Corrections officer and what steps should I take to make sure I get on the force without this being an issue?

Yes I posted a forum.....but I was sent here.

Psychiatric drugs are a huge red flag and are, in many cases, disqualifying. Sorry. Don't think about concealing it either. The Office of Mental Health and Hygiene will have records pertaining to the doctor prescribing you these drugs and the State Board of Education will also have records pertaining to your psychiatric classification while in school. You have an extremely uphill battle ahead of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by nyc7011 View Post
            Psychiatric drugs are a huge red flag and are, in many cases, disqualifying. Sorry. Don't think about concealing it either. The Office of Mental Health and Hygiene will have records pertaining to the doctor prescribing you these drugs and the State Board of Education will also have records pertaining to your psychiatric classification while in school. You have an extremely uphill battle ahead of you.
            I was never categorized as an EDP. If this was the case, I would have never went for criminal justice in the first place. They can't turn someone down for having a learning disability. It's not like I have depression, anxiety, bipolar, etc. I have ADD, It's a common disability that many people deal with daily. I could understand if I've been institutionalized, but that is not the case, at all. I'm a well rounded person, I have a stable job, stable relationship, a college degree, and a lot going for me.

They say people with ADD make decent police officers since there is always something going on in the police world and because there is constant change. A person with ADD will most likely not do well with a job in let's say, corporate america...sitting behind a desk. I feel like as long as I have documentation based on the ADD, and I'm properly diagnosed...It will not be a problem.

I was just curious about the medication thing.
            Last edited by swimmer410; 10-03-2013, 09:44 PM.
            Hoping for January

Comment

• ADD is a psychiatric disorder. Common or not. A police department will not put a firearm into the hands of someone who has a DOCUMENTED psychiatric disorder and DOCUMENTED use of psychiatric drugs. You may be the coolest guy in the world, the department will not accept the liability that comes with hiring an individual with a documented psychiatric disorder. Explain all you want, the fact is that you have an established pattern of reliance on psychiatric drugs to assist you in normal functioning. Huge huge huge no no.

Whoever told you that about cops with add is sadly mistaken. Police work often involves mundane or "boring" activity. Someone with ADD wouldn't do well sitting for hours at a time on a hospitalized prisoner or surveilling a subject. Someone with ADD wouldn't do well with the mounds of paperwork that a Police Officer spends 80 percent of the day filling out. Also, in the event that deadly physical force becomes necessary, a split second decision would be required and subsequent FOCUS would be required in order to stop the threat. All huge weaknesses for someone diagnosed with ADD. Sorry, I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you like others may have; I've had this job 3 years now and like my colleague told you earlier, you are just a tax number to this department. They will hire someone with a similar background and no history of psychiatric illness every day of the week before they open themselves up to the liability of hiring someone with DOCUMENTED psychiatric illness and DOCUMENTED psychiatric drug use.

Also, as you will eventually find out, they can turn you down for ANYTHING if they can rationally articulate why they did it. Good luck.
              Last edited by nyc7011; 10-03-2013, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• I use to beg to go on a hospitalized prisoner for $$$$$$$$$.
                Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                  I use to beg to go on a hospitalized prisoner for $$$$$$$$$.
                  I was okay with it until I sat on a guy who had fleas. Yes. Fleas.

Comment

ADD is a psychiatric disorder. Common or not. A police department will not put a firearm into the hands of someone who has a DOCUMENTED psychiatric disorder and DOCUMENTED use of psychiatric drugs. You may be the coolest guy in the world, the department will not accept the liability that comes with hiring an individual with a documented psychiatric disorder. Explain all you want, the fact is that you have an established pattern of reliance on psychiatric drugs to assist you in normal functioning. Huge huge huge no no.

Whoever told you that about cops with add is sadly mistaken. Police work often involves mundane or "boring" activity. Someone with ADD wouldn't do well sitting for hours at a time on a hospitalized prisoner or surveilling a subject. Someone with ADD wouldn't do well with the mounds of paperwork that a Police Officer spends 80 percent of the day filling out. Also, in the event that deadly physical force becomes necessary, a split second decision would be required and subsequent FOCUS would be required in order to stop the threat. All huge weaknesses for someone diagnosed with ADD. Sorry, I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you like others may have; I've had this job 3 years now and like my colleague told you earlier, you are just a tax number to this department. They will hire someone with a similar background and no history of psychiatric illness every day of the week before they open themselves up to the liability of hiring someone with DOCUMENTED psychiatric illness and DOCUMENTED psychiatric drug use.

Also, as you will eventually find out, they can turn you down for ANYTHING if they can rationally articulate why they did it. Good luck.

So what you're basically telling me right now is that there is not a single police officer out there with documented ADD/ADHD, who had help for it? That's BS. I've never had depression...I've never had any mental illness.

If you've grown up with the right sources to learn to cope with it without medication, there should not be a problem. I can easily work without medication, it helps me with school though. I don't take it everyday. I take it when it's needed for studying. When I do take it, I'm not doing it in mass amounts, I use it as prescribed and get to work.

I'm a lifeguard, I've been one for six years (you know, they say ADD people tend to job hop? not me.. only time I left a job was for career enhancement).....Thats a lot of sitting around and looking at the same site for a long period of time, I've never come across an accident on the job because of my ADD and lack of focus. I don't take my medication for this job because I don't have a problem focusing.

EMS, similar field, they're doing the lifesaving.... I know a lot of EMS workers who have ADD. They're making important decisions as well, filling out PCR's, sitting in triage for hours, making last minute decisions on a constant basis. If EMS workers do fine, I don't see what the issue is.

If what you're telling me right now is true, I just wasted thousands on schooling in Criminal Justice, Civil Service Examinations and preparation courses for examinations..... All because I have ADD.
                    Last edited by swimmer410; 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM.
                    Hoping for January

Comment

• Just go through with the process. No one here is an expert and knows how your pysch will take to you. There is no point in going and back and forth with each other. Let us know how it goes.
                      Last edited by InTheProcess13; 10-04-2013, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by InTheProcess13 View Post
                        Just go through with the process. No one here is an expert and knows how your pysch will take to you. There is no point in going and back and forth with each other. Let us know it goes.
                        +1 Don't let others discourage you, make sure you have all information relevant to your treatment so when asked you can disclose accurately. Always try your best no matter what, and continue to take exams.
                        Last edited by SHINYBADGE; 10-04-2013, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Never let anyone discourage you, but if you want it you're going to have to fighter harder than most people for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by swimmer410 View Post
                            So what you're basically telling me right now is that there is not a single police officer out there with documented ADD/ADHD, who had help for it? That's BS. I've never had depression...I've never had any mental illness.

If you've grown up with the right sources to learn to cope with it without medication, there should not be a problem. I can easily work without medication, it helps me with school though. I don't take it everyday. I take it when it's needed for studying. When I do take it, I'm not doing it in mass amounts, I use it as prescribed and get to work.

I'm a lifeguard, I've been one for six years (you know, they say ADD people tend to job hop? not me.. only time I left a job was for career enhancement).....Thats a lot of sitting around and looking at the same site for a long period of time, I've never come across an accident on the job because of my ADD and lack of focus. I don't take my medication for this job because I don't have a problem focusing.

EMS, similar field, they're doing the lifesaving.... I know a lot of EMS workers who have ADD. They're making important decisions as well, filling out PCR's, sitting in triage for hours, making last minute decisions on a constant basis. If EMS workers do fine, I don't see what the issue is.

If what you're telling me right now is true, I just wasted thousands on schooling in Criminal Justice, Civil Service Examinations and preparation courses for examinations..... All because I have ADD.
                            Dude you say you're fine except when it comes to studying? What do you think you do for 6 months in the Academy? Also, you are implying that you STILL take the drugs!! Do you really think you'll be permitted to take your adderall with you to the academy to "help you study"? Are you out of your mind? Listen. I believe everyone has a right to go through the hiring process and I really hope you do go through it so you can learn firsthand and face the harsh reality of your situation. I'm not the type of guy to sit here like others on this forum and spit out cliche nonsense like "go for your dreams" or "never be discouraged". I'm a realist. My comments are not intended to discourage you. They are intended to give a realistic portrait of how the PD will view a candidate with your "disability". The Department is RISK AVERSE in every sense of the word and I know that because I do this job and I SEE IT DAILY. Like my colleague options open told you in the other thread, feel free to go through with the process but always always always have a second viable career plan because the odds are astronomically against you.

Cops on this job who have ADD are UNDIAGNOSED and almost every one that I bump into is a lunatic. Including one that almost crashed a car with me in it because he felt he could 7 thousand things at once.

Comment

Cops on this job who have ADD are UNDIAGNOSED and almost every one that I bump into is a lunatic. Including one that almost crashed a car with me in it because he felt he could 7 thousand things at once.
                              Honestly this is the biggest failure of the hiring process. The job selects someone who has mental problems or someone who lies about their problems, than someone who dealt with their problems in the past or knows how to manage it.

Comment

• I completely agree with you on that. In some cases, it's not even a matter of lying, it's just that the person who made it through never actually was diagnosed with the issue. They just lived with it, put on a big happy face for the interview and then slipped through. It's dangerous and also unfair to people like swimmer who do play by the rules and who do get help and meds for their illnesses. It's definitely not fair but it's just the way it is unfortunately.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8703 users online. 473 members and 8230 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X