Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CollegeEducated View Post
    You may not be the same person psychologically? Lol bro if they give you the run around fight it. My purpose on this forum is to get as many people as I can to fight this unjust process. I will do my part and I suggest anyone else who is turned away don't even stop at appealing go civil. Something really has to change with the hiring process.

International Association of Chiefs of Police, as well as other guidelines state that a Psychological Evaluation is totally invalid after three years.

Your only reasonable recourse is A Civil Service Commission Appeal- which, can be successful as long as your not truly a nut-case and can adequately address their concerns. Anything beyond the Appeal is a futile and useless effort, at best. Supreme Court (Article 78)’s are extremely rarely succesful.

Just because your bitter with the process because you were disqualified does not mean they are wrong. Now, dont get me wrong- if a person feel’s they are qualified, i am the the first to advocate an appeal, but you seem a bit on the naive side here

”Something really has to change....” Well, you should figure out how to screen through thousands and thousands of applicants more effectively and efficiently and pick only the perfect apples. NYPD Does not have the Luxury of Time and Individualized attention that smaller agencies can afford their candidates during the application process. That is why it’s easier for them to DQ you, let you put up your argument and then let a supervisor and there outside consultant chime in.

If you do Appeal and Lose- your dead in the water off this test. Period- if this happens I would suggesting learning from your DQ (you will know their rationale if you do appeal) and use that to change yourself. Reapply in 3 to 5 years, and show them how you have changed. A candidate who was unfavorable- certainly can become favorable a few years later.

It sucks, and i do personally understand how disheartening a DIsqualifiaction can be because i have been there- and as much i say that my DQ was in fact largely based on my statements being perceived in a contextually inaccurate way- a lot of their reasoning was based in irrefutable fact. (And my Appeal was in fact succesfull). You need to do some Introspective self-evaluation my friend. Yeah, Appeal- and you should also be asking the Appeal Psychologist where he feels you can improve yourself.

Beyond appeal, suing the NYPD..... sue them and you will never be hired- thats throwing rocks at a bee-hive.
    Last edited by Vista; 05-28-2018, 08:35 PM.
    Problems with a psych exam?
    Have an upcoming
    PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
    you make up your mind.
    WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM

Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
    http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
      As much as im no fan of Psychologists..... they cant jist disqualify you “just because”. In fact, a supervisor reviews all disqualifications (review)- and, the interviewing psych would need something to base their reccomendation on or there boss will overturn it. They cant just write “disqualify” and not back it up- its a report, not a simple check box. Now- if they disliked you, and your “on the fence”- sure, that could perhaps influence weather the report is favorable or not. But they cant just make stuff up to fail you- thats malfeasance.
      Not necessary true. A supervisor will only overturn somebody that is qualify by the psychologist. A supervisor will never even review an disqualified case unless it has been though an appeal.

There is no checks and balance when it comes to the psych department. The psychologist have an unbelievable amount of power in their hands.

Comment

• Vista
        Vista commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope. All DQ’s, start out on “Review” (or “Rejection Review”). A supervising psychologist reviews the file and makes the decision. If your deemed qualified- supervisors have little reason or time to dive into every candidates file.

Sure, they have discretion in forming ther narrative- but Supervisors review (at some level) every case thats placed on the track to disqualification.

• CCCSD
        CCCSD commented
        Editing a comment
        Vista knows of what he speaks.

• Anyone know if you can take another nypd exam if you have been withdrawn from the process and your exam about to expire? Lets say... to start the process all over again?

Comment

• Vista
        Vista commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes- totally possible and not a bad idea.

• Bravo16
        Bravo16 commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't waste my time taking the exam again. Once you fail the psychological exam, you are permanently disqualified from the nypd this includes school safety,traffic and other nypd positions.

• Vista
        Vista commented
        Editing a comment
        You are not permanently DQ- however its valud for 36 months. That’s misinformation. In fact, as adverse events in your life become older and older they mean less and less. These negative issues are weighed by severity, frequency and age. Theres a guy on here..... personal friend who was DQ and lost on appeal, later- recently processed again and passed.

• I withdrawn from my process. Didnt get disqualified.

And right now, i’m waiting for the Correction academy in July.

Comment

• Vista
        Vista commented
        Editing a comment
        NYC CORRECTIONS? Thats a poor metric; they will accept anything short of a felon.

• MrBigHead
        MrBigHead commented
        Editing a comment
        Vista, I wouldn’t say that’s accurate. Sure, there have been questionable hires. However that holds true for any angency. For whatever reason DOC gets the lion share of bad press. While the hiring process mirrors NYPD there may be certain “characteristics” that PD frowns upon that DOC doesn’t.
        But to say they’ll accept anything short of a felon paints the picture like DOC is just a bunch of miscreants lol

• Vista
        Vista commented
        Editing a comment
        MrBig.... My brother in Law works at Rikers for 31 years nkw. He’s a captain. He said they are so desperate for applicants that they have really lowered the bar- the working conditions there are horrible and the inmates more or less run the place. He said in the last ten years, he had an increasingly hard time telling the difference between coworkers and inmates. I would use that job as a stepping stone- if corrections is your speed try and get into one of the down-state county agencies.

• I have to agree with most of those who say this is a flawed process. Yes, it is an imperative process, but not completely a justifying one when determining who is a great candidate for Police Officer. For those who got through, of course you will say you weren't wronged because you got the job, but understand the position of those who weren't as fortunate. There are people who got in that are very undeserving slacks. So let's not completely fault those who have been DQ'd.

Comment

• Let’s just always blame someone else. Everyone gets a trophy, right?

Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• NYPD is not looking for "great candidates". NYPD is looking for candidates that meet all the listed requirements. Something in your background caused yout DQ. No matter how you spin the DQ.

Comment

• I still can't get over how much people actually care what a specific agency thinks. Just correct yourself and apply elsewhere. You want to know how to really "appeal"? Apply to another agency and get picked up. Show off your talents and be a useful L.E Officer. That will really make them hurt. Lost talent is the worst...this is the same for every job on earth.

Comment

• Vista
              Vista commented
              Editing a comment
              Unfortunately, the stigma of a disqualification will follow you when applying to other agencies (who are free to use that DQ in any way they wish). Aside from the obvious desired outcome in appeal- a second reason is that it allows you to inspect your file to learn your potential weaknesses so you can work on them- as well as including a second independent report in your file.

You may think the later of the reasons is not important but i can personally attest to otherwise. Just recently i made it through the process for another more desirable agency. The fact that i was DQ by NYPD automatically triggered a more in depth “Stage 2” Psych Evaluation (with a Psychiatrist). The 2011 DQ was weighed heavily against me, but the fact that i new what they were reading and therefore how i needed to go out of my way to explain those thingsin great detail- plus that the NYPD DQ was essentially rescinded did go a long way. I new the topics which i had to dive into even if i was not asked. It would have been tough had i not had access to my records.
              Last edited by Vista; 05-31-2018, 06:58 AM.

• Has anyone here that has been psych DQ ever had a followed up interview with your psychologist?
            Last edited by qaz08642; 06-01-2018, 01:37 AM.

Comment

• Vista
              Vista commented
              Editing a comment
              You need to explain yourself better- include background information. Are you saying the NYPD called you back in for another interview? Was this after you submitted an appeal? If so it means your appeal raised serious concerns (likely by a supervisor) and that your “on the fence”. After you appeal the NYPD reviews your submitted documentation before making a final determination. At times they do recall a candidate for a follow-up Interview before making there decision. (Note, this isn’t the typical norm. This is what happened with me- supervising psychologist agreed with my appeal and rescinded the DQ. This is not the most common path cades take. NYPD will usually just affirm the original decision and defer to civil service (who the candidate relies upon to decide). In fact, at the very outset of my appeal the lawyer told me i would get a letter saying the NYPD was standing by its decision and to just throw it out because you dont expect NYPD to change there position- but they did). A second interview is a good thing. There handing you the rope to pull yourself out or tie a noose.
              Last edited by Vista; 06-01-2018, 06:04 AM.

• Originally posted by qaz08642 View Post
            Has anyone here that been been psych DQ ever had a followed up interview with your psychologist?
            meaning did you get DQ after having only one psych interview or with a followed up?

Comment

• Vista
              Vista commented
              Editing a comment
              You may have one or two interviews. A second Interview is not guaranteed nor should it be be expected. If for whatever reason you are granted a second Interview it means that they are not sure about their decision.
              Last edited by Vista; 06-01-2018, 08:22 PM.

• Originally posted by qaz08642 View Post

meaning did you get DQ after having only one psych interview or with a followed up?
            Why are you talking to yourself? lol

Comment

• Vista
              Vista commented
              Editing a comment
              That may explain it lol

• Half the DQs wouldn't happen if posters could actually construct a sentence properly...
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Vista
              Vista commented
              Editing a comment
              Im not a English major and my grammar is far from perfect (also most of my posts are quickly written on an iphone), but some of the stuff i read here is pure stupidity. Some E-Mails that i have received are at best painful to read (like a two page rambling with no punctuation). I imgine how hard it would be for supervisors or DA’s to read through, and make sense of reports written in this fashion . I think that part of the process should be a reasonable reading and writing test. Im not talking College level, MLA style Essays-
              Im taking about a solid H.S. Level knowledge of written (and hopefully spoken) English.
              Last edited by Vista; 06-01-2018, 08:19 PM.

• CCCSD
              CCCSD commented
              Editing a comment
              Vista, sage words and very true. Funny how when they are caught out, they blame the technology, not their ability...or lack of it.

• Originally posted by TUNEDNIMPORTED View Post

Why are you talking to yourself? lol
            I was not talking to myself. I was making my question a little clearer.

Comment

• Hey everyone,

I have been following this post for a year and I have finally decided to sign up lol. As of now, I am appealing an NYPD psych DQ. According to what my private psych told me, I was Dq'd because it took to long for me to recieve an associate degree (5 years), I have poor stress tolerance, and I lied about trying marijuana. According to my private pysch, it is a low level dq. I just sent my request for an appeal to the civil service commission. I have never been arrested, no current pending tickets/citations, nada. What do you guys think my chances are for a successful appeal?

Comment

• Vista
                Vista commented
                Editing a comment
                Curiousity; who did you hire for the Appeal? The quality and detail of your appeal goes a long, long way in your chances of positive outcome.

• rb1152013
                rb1152013 commented
                Editing a comment
                Are they assuming that you lied about using marijuana or did you try to hide It then get caught? I don’t know much about the psych process but That seems like the biggest thing - not the marijuana use but getting caught in a lie.

• Not going to say that you’re going to lose. But “poor stress tolerance” is a red flag. LE jobs are the motherload of stress.

Comment

• Vista
                Vista commented
                Editing a comment
                Well... they kind of have a check box, and they always check off “poor stress tolerance”. They usually check off two or three boxes. It would come down to how they substantiated “poor stress tolerance”. I would be more concerned about the deception claim over the Marijuana.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7171 users online. 318 members and 6853 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X