Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cobra218 View Post
    so does anyone know how long after i send in my documents will they be reviewed or i will get a status change...I have my oral 7/19 and my psych requested Doc's i sent them to her immediately and she acknowledged that she received them when i asked her...i email apd every other week or so for updates and im still on review...should i email my psych to see if theres anything else she needs or should i just let it play out?

Send a well written follow up business style letter, by email, asking if she needs anything else, you will get to her as expeditiously as possible, thank her for her time etc, etc.

time frame- aint gonna like this answer; no rhyme or reason with NYPD. From now- until they make their decision is the time
    frame.
    Problems with a psych exam?
    Have an upcoming
    PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
    you make up your mind.
    WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM

Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
    http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

Comment

• Originally posted by nypdhopeful15 View Post
      The HIPPA message comes from the Health Insurance and Portability Act of 1996. Basically APD doesn't know anything about why you are on psych review because it pertains to your health records. Technically speaking with the law, I think you are supposed to have access to your own file since it pertains to you but no one has ever challenged it so it remains locked away in the Psych Unit.
      in theory; but to think Psych Services & Investigators dont talk- both on and off the record... Naive
      Have an upcoming

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
      you make up your mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew20 View Post
        Thank You. Thats what I said to the RET. Lt. and he said they might've changed it from when he was OTJ, but when he was there if you were on review it wasn't good. From what I understood if you had pending paper work you were just given the "review" label until said paper work was reviewed by the psychologist. Mine asked for reviews from supervisors since I am in a civilian position in the department. All reviews are positive, my entire background is positive. But only time will tell, I'm not sweating it though just curious.

Update:
        Just saw a conversation on APD forum about this topic, if additional paper work is requested you are automatically put on review.....phew feel much better now. Thanks again NYPDhopeful15.

Was under Impression theirs different classifications- Hold was for paperwork, then different levels of review (for psych).
        Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonmelfa View Post
          I have my oral interview tomorrow. Is there a chance I'm going to be put on review for being in resource room for half of a year in fourth grade?
          in Fourth grade- make sure you say "in fourth grade, when i was 10". If you had no problems and good grades, high GPA since then,commendations, awards, deans list; Cum Laude, high level degree; make sure you throw it in even if they dont ask. Basically your doing damage mitigation / control.

Basically; if they bring up something that can be construed in a negative light and its in the distant passed,no sunsuquent problem, you have done well since then- bring it up. If you think your opening up pandoras box...... ("I was in resources 10 years ago, in fourth grade. But since then i have done well, no real problems. Good grades, (good) GPA in College etc"). They say "The Devil is in the Details", but the devil can also be in the "lack of details".

NYPD Psychologists; for whatever reason, being over worked, high case load, etc. instead of attempting to reveal positive qualities tend to focus more on the negatives and jump to conclusions in their short 45 minute interview.. It's easier to Knock a candidate out, move on to the next candidate and let them hash it out in an appeal (thats word for word, from a retired NYPD Chief).

That's how appeals work. Basically stepping back and painting a much more detailed, broader picture of the candidate. (Aside from legal arguments, psych theories, testing interpretations). Appeals are not about lying or wizardry, etc.... Id say a significant portion of Psych DQ's they get right- many people are psychologically unsuitable, and their appeal will be unsuccesful (if your a bi-polar schizo, rtc).

FYI; 4th grade is what, 8-10 years ago at least? Many schools purge paper records, with the exception of progress reports/transcripts and SIGNIFIcANt disciplinary records after six years.
          Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• So what does it mean if your on psych review but still allowed to take your jst?

Comment

• Originally posted by rdonald93 View Post
              So what does it mean if your on psych review but still allowed to take your jst?
              Means nothing. There's a disconnect with scheduling. You can take your JST, and mini med every time they expire on review just in case you are cleared before the next class.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
                in Fourth grade- make sure you say "in fourth grade, when i was 10". If you had no problems and good grades, high GPA since then,commendations, awards, deans lis t; Cum Laude, high level degree; make sure you throw it in even if they dont ask. Basically your doing damage mitigation / control.

Basically; if they bring up something that can be construed in a negative light and its in the distant passed,no sunsuquent problem, you have done well since then- bring it up. If you think your opening up pandoras box...... ("I was in resources 10 years ago, in fourth grade. But since then i have done well, no real problems. Good grades, (good) GPA in College etc"). They say "The Devil is in the Details", but the devil can also be in the "lack of details".

NYPD Psychologists; for whatever reason, being over worked, high case load, etc. instead of attempting to reveal positive qualities tend to focus more on the negatives and jump to conclusions in their short 45 minute interview.. It's easier to Knock a candidate out, move on to the next candidate and let them hash it out in an appeal (thats word for word, from a retired NYPD Chief).

That's how appeals work. Basically stepping back and painting a much more detailed, broader picture of the candidate. (Aside from legal arguments, psych theories, testing interpretations). Appeals are not about lying or wizardry, etc.... Id say a significant portion of Psych DQ's they get right- many people are psychologically unsuitable, and their appeal will be unsuccesful (if your a bi-polar schizo, rtc).

FYI; 4th grade is what, 8-10 years ago at least? Many schools purge paper records, with the exception of progress reports/transcripts and SIGNIFIcANt disciplinary records after six years.
                I had interview today... Psych put me on review for "special education" meaning resource room in elementary school. I graduated high school with high 80s, but I still have to show proof that I didn't have any special education in high school. I had to send something to the DOE and they will send it to the psych. It lists all "special" education I received, IEPs, etc.

Comment

• Kp1995
                  Kp1995 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Were you able to get hired ?

I had interview today... Psych put me on review for "special education" meaning resource room in elementary school. I graduated high school with high 80s, but I still have to show proof that I didn't have any special education in high school. I had to send something to the DOE and they will send it to the psych. It lists all "special" education I received, IEPs, etc.

I have but one very simple "psych" test. Allow a candidate to be paired with a correction officer running a housing unit with 48 inmates with no physical barriers separating the officer from the inmates. For the first four hours of the shift the candidate observes the officer run the housing unit. During the second half; the candidate runs the unit and controls the inmates. "Baptism by fire"....so they say.

Comment

This is what got me put on review the iep.. I had resource room twice a month for a slight learning disability in high school. That was 16 years ago this psych process is way 2 tough

Comment

• Hey guys, so my psych is on this upcoming 7th. I have a few questions

1) At my appointment (8am) does it start right away, or like an hour after? How many minutes until my psych actually starts once I get there?

2) any paper work before the start of my psych? If so, what does it consist of?

3) is the evaluator a forensic psychologist or a psychiatrist? (just curious because I have a Bachelors in Forensic Psychology)

4) is it true all evaluators grill you hard or are there nice ones?

5) Are the majority men or women? (I'm just more comfortable talking with women)

6) any tips?

7) what is a quick break down of what I can expect

Comment

• Originally posted by hwguy1314 View Post
                      Hey guys, so my psych is on this upcoming 7th. I have a few questions

1) At my appointment (8am) does it start right away, or like an hour after? How many minutes until my psych actually starts once I get there?

3) is the evaluator a forensic psychologist or a psychiatrist? (just curious because I have a Bachelors in Forensic Psychology)

5) Are the majority men or women? (I'm just more comfortable talking with women)

6) any tips?

1. Get there early, 30-40 minutes and go into the waiting room. The doctor may take you early or may not. It all depends on if the doctor has another interview before you. If the doctor has a long interview with a candidate before you, you will be waiting awhile so be prepared for anything.

2. No paperwork before your psych. Bring pens to sign in, and to sign any forms the doctor may give you. Yeah, make sure to read before signing.

3. Some are, some aren't. It isn't required for the psychologist to have a doctorate in forensic psychologist. Most doctors they have these days have some form of doctorate in psychology. They used to have interviewers that only had masters.

4. It depends on the interviewer. Be relaxed, calm, and confident in your answers but if the interviewer is nice, don't start talking like you are talking to your friends, and don't make chit chat. Give the answer to the question, and no elaborate details unless asked to explain something. Whether the interviewer is nice or not, they are doing the same thing. They are evaluating your fitness to the department.

5. Majority women. Like I said up above, be confident, and concise in your answers. Don't be soft spoken.

6. Make sure to shave, wear a suit, get there early. I saw some people waiting for the interview in jeans, and t-shirt. Don't do that. Address the question asked, give polite answers yes sir/mam, no sir/no mam. Try to show them you are capable of being professional, and mature. Don't get fr***led or upset if the interviewer sounds calling you a liar/yelling at you. Just prepare for pretty much anything in your background to be addressed.

7. You will discuss your background, the doctor has that background packet you filled out at the written psych, and will be using that as a guide during your interview. I hope you memorized the info you put down there. Make sure to know years of school, employment, if something happened to you when/why that happened. You don't want to **** off the interviewer by not knowing your background info.

Comment

• Also on review because of iep..had to get a letter stating that the records are destroyed.

Comment

• Originally posted by hwguy1314 View Post
                          Hey guys, so my psych is on this upcoming 7th. I have a few questions

6) any tips?

Below is a good run down. Some are not even Phd's. Check out www.lawenforcementpeptalk.com; really good and resourseful people.
                          Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by MR.Robinson View Post
                            Also on review because of iep..had to get a letter stating that the records are destroyed.
                            Coo coo ca choo?
                            Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• I was put on review in January, the doc wanted a copy of my 12 grade IEPS( I was in a special education class for math in high school). I called APD the other day, the lady told me it looks like from what it says on the computer that Iam not going to be cleared to switch everything over to my newer exam,try again. When I talk to my investigator about it,he said I had to wait for a yes or no off this review to process off my newer exam . So who knows , think I will try down south God only knows how long this could play out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9288 users online. 439 members and 8849 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X