Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not arguing with you. I just feel it is an unfair position for an applicant to be put in. I know the NYPD doesn't really give a rats' a@# whether it's fair or not. I have no dog in this hunt. I did my time and am happily retired from the NYS Courts (and they didn't inquire about family members-just me- as I was the applicant-; so I didn't have to disclose Grandpas' 1957 dwi arrest and humiliate the poor old guy further). That is all I will say about this. Good luck to you in your endeavors
    Last edited by soon2retire; 09-07-2012, 08:55 PM.
    RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• one quick question i had,

when doing the written psych i remember there being a question in the beginning about whether you have ever been placed on academic probation. I put no because I was never notified of any academic probation ever but apparently i slipped and went under a 2.0 in college and went back in my final semester to bring my gpa back up to a 2.2.

I spoke with an advisor and they told me that yes, i was placed on academic probation and got out of it when i brought my gpa back up. I knew i went under a 2.0 but the only reason i went back to bring it up was so that I could be qualified to be hired by the nypd. I honestly never knew under a 2.0 was academic probation until i did some research on it.

Now my question is, when i do my oral psych do i bring this up to the psychologist? and how do i do so?.
      Exam #0140 (March 2010)
      List # 1XXX
      APD: COMPLETE
      Medical: PASSED
      JST: PASSED
      Written Psych: DONE
      Oral Psych:PASSED
      BI: DONE
      Mini Med:DONE

Comment

• I took the exam in December 2008, started the process Oct 2009. I got psyched out April began fighting the Appeal. It was two years and i got a letter from civil service on march 2012 saying i lost my Appeal. I took a back up exam march 2011 just in case. So.by the time they start processing i should be good.

Comment

• Originally posted by wn8 View Post
          I took the exam in December 2008, started the process Oct 2009. I got psyched out April began fighting the Appeal. It was two years and i got a letter from civil service on march 2012 saying i lost my Appeal. I took a back up exam march 2011 just in case. So.by the time they start processing i should be good.
          Unfortunately, your previous psych disqualification remains in your applicant file retained by the NYPD Applicant Investigations Unit. Retaking the test again will not at all change matters as you will be automatically disqualified once AIU reopens your file.
          Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 09-10-2012, 05:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOEQUEENSNY View Post
            NYPD is entitled to know anything they want about an applicant. including everything about your family...the moment you decide something they ask isn't thier business you will just not be hired. We don't get to tell them what is right or wrong as applicants or as employees. it's not a democracy it's a hierarchy...that goes for law enforcement, EMS, FD or any paramilitary job and it's run by protocols and standing orders here in NY

If they want to know who your cousin dated in high school tell them...don't try to figure out why they asked you a question if they "should or should not" go about something a different way... just try to figure out an answer. simple as that...and Im not saying it to be a d**k im just playing devils advocate...

If your relationship with a family member is effected then that's a choice you have to prioritize, but make sure its prioritized with the understanding that it could cost you a job...weather you feel that is what should be done or not.

there is going to be times in this line of work (I'm speaking from even and EMS POV) that we might have to follow an order we don't agree with ... amirite?

what should be done in an individuals eyes is irrelevant. they do what they want hire who they want...everyone is replaceable.

What you say is true,Joequeensny. There are no shortage of applicants for NYPD positions and they are highly selective in who they appoint. The least little thing wrong in a person's background whether factual or fantasy or combination thereof will disqualify. It doesn't necessarily mean the person wouldn't make a good police officer but merely that NYPD will not hire the individual.

Case in point: a few years back there was an individual arrested and convicted on a CPW gun charge when he was 20 years old. He served time at Rikers. Subsequently, went into the Army and was posted in Afghanistan. The soldier rose to the rank of Sergeant and was decorated for his heroism under fire. It was his dream to be a NYC police officer.

Because of his criminal conviction (felony) he was automatically barred by law to be appointed as a police officer. Even if he was allowed by the DA to plea guilty to a CPW misdemeanor charge it is highly doubtful he would be appointed to NYPD. Anyhow, the soldier took the NYPD exam, applied and was granted an executive pardon by [former] Governor Patterson.

As expected, he was disqualified by NYPD due to negative character issues. He did plea 'guilty' and "admitted" to having an illegal handgun in his possession. It does not matter he received a pardon for his youthful acts or for his exemplary military service record.

Comment

• Yes, cco but that was his mistake and perfectly understandable that he was disqualified. if he had been disqualified for his father's felony charges, that's another story.

im with soon2retire. keep it relative. if your sencond cousin with whom you might see every 10th Christmas is a f**k up, its irrelevant. if the brother you are currently sharing a house with has been running drugs since he could carry a bag, relevant information. like a said elsewhere on the boards, dont go digging your grave before your dead. give yourself a chance. be smart about what you put down.

that being said, nypd has every right to know about you. if you and your life is running drugs, then theyll need to know. if your life is straight edge and your grandfathers was capping people, thats no bodys business but the state of new york and your grandfather. keep your nose clean and worry about yourself. dont roll in sh1t and you wont smell like it, know what i mean?
              Test: 1313
              Date: 02/11
              List: 9**
              APD5: 08/12
              Medical: _ _/_ _

Comment

• Originally posted by soon2retire View Post
                I'm not arguing with you. I just feel it is an unfair position for an applicant to be put in. I know the NYPD doesn't really give a rats' a@# whether it's fair or not. I have no dog in this hunt. I did my time and am happily retired from the NYS Courts (and they didn't inquire about family members-just me- as I was the applicant-; so I didn't have to disclose Grandpas' 1957 dwi arrest and humiliate the poor old guy further). That is all I will say about this. Good luck to you in your endeavors
                NYS courts is an awesome job. i didnt do well enough on that test to get called...I am however right now in the process for NYS Corrections...not quite as great from what Ive heard lol...still yet I am very excited going through the process.

sorry if you took what I was saying as arguing ... i just like to discuss this stuff...I have nothing but respect for ya, if I was taken any different I apologize.

Comment

• but i heard of people getting psyched out the first time and making it in the second...

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post

What you say is true,Joequeensny. There are no shortage of applicants for NYPD positions and they are highly selective in who they appoint. The least little thing wrong in a person's background whether factual or fantasy or combination thereof will disqualify. It doesn't necessarily mean the person wouldn't make a good police officer but merely that NYPD will not hire the individual.

Case in point: a few years back there was an individual arrested and convicted on a CPW gun charge when he was 20 years old. He served time at Rikers. Subsequently, went into the Army and was posted in Afghanistan. The soldier rose to the rank of Sergeant and was decorated for his heroism under fire. It was his dream to be a NYC police officer.

Because of his criminal conviction (felony) he was automatically barred by law to be appointed as a police officer. Even if he was allowed by the DA to plea guilty to a CPW misdemeanor charge it is highly doubtful he would be appointed to NYPD. Anyhow, the soldier took the NYPD exam, applied and was granted an executive pardon by [former] Governor Patterson.

As expected, he was disqualified by NYPD due to negative character issues. He did plea 'guilty' and "admitted" to having an illegal handgun in his possession. It does not matter he received a pardon for his youthful acts or for his exemplary military service record.
                    I remember this case specifically myself. I did not know he was pardoned by the Governor though thats interesting.

NYPD has SO MANY applicants that they can be very picky ... and also sometimes things boil down to your investigator. In corrections for the city for example...it doesnt boil down to your investigator all the time because the commish's office has to approve everyones file on a case by case basis. Now this doesnt mean anything better or worse...they just have a ton less applicants then NYPD...

what Im saying is...your investigator in NYPD holds the fate of your employment in thier hands more so then most other departments ... so what your saying is 100% correct. more then most other departments NYPD pretty much does whatever they want. they can not hire you at thier discretion.

Originally posted by wn8 View Post
                    but i heard of people getting psyched out the first time and making it in the second...
                    I have never seen that happen myself. that doesnt mean it doesnt happen...maybe someone else can tell you if they have been through it.

Psych DQ is like a scarlet letter in most cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by wn8 View Post
                      but i heard of people getting psyched out the first time and making it in the second...
                      Good word of advice I give to new officers:

BELIEVE NOTHING YOU HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOEQUEENSNY View Post
                        I remember this case specifically myself. I did not know he was pardoned by the Governor though thats interesting.

NYPD has SO MANY applicants that they can be very picky ... and also sometimes things boil down to your investigator. In corrections for the city for example...it doesnt boil down to your investigator all the time because the commish's office has to approve everyones file on a case by case basis. Now this doesnt mean anything better or worse...they just have a ton less applicants then NYPD...

what Im saying is...your investigator in NYPD holds the fate of your employment in thier hands more so then most other departments ... so what your saying is 100% correct. more then most other departments NYPD pretty much does whatever they want. they can not hire you at thier discretion.

I have never seen that happen myself. that doesnt mean it doesnt happen...maybe someone else can tell you if they have been through it.

Psych DQ is like a scarlet letter in most cases.
                        TRUE, at least in NYC POLICE and Corrections

These NYS and NYC LE agencies have hiring and retention guidelines regarding negative character issues including criminal convictions and previous employment issues. And a candidate doesn't get to that stage of background investigation unless he pass medical, psychological and physical agility screening.

All the investigators do is gather the background information collected and forward it to their supervisors for appraisal . It is not necessary for an applicant to be disqualified under the color of civil service law not to be selected. Candidates with issues have been known to be "on review or hold" indefinitely. When the list expires--so does their eligibility for appointment.

Comment

• No apologies necessary-best of luck to you!
                          RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• Question if you get dq'd and appeal and win will you be able to get into the NYC DOC?
                            sigpicRookie Correction Officer

Comment

• Originally posted by Solid Snake12 View Post
                              Question if you get dq'd and appeal and win will you be able to get into the NYC DOC?
                              if you win an appeal you are cleared in that part of the process for that particular job. you obviously still have to pass the other steps etc. and if you appeal and win for a different agency you still have to take and pass the psych for the NYCDOC.

Comment

• ^^ he's right !!!...
                                Exam: 8329 List: 5$#

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7895 users online. 402 members and 7493 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X