Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    CCCSD........You may have just hurt a lot of feelings. But you and I have seen examples of bad apples that manage to slip the processing system. Some people just aren't cut out for this line of work.
    As with corrections, police work is NOT a job for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by JaeTM View Post
      Sure. My interview primarily had to deal with my alcohol usage. I told her that I just drink socially but I've had times throughout college that I've gotten too drunk and blacked out (who hasn't? But apparently through some research a lot of people have had this problem). She went into great detail about how many drinks it takes to get me drunk, do I drink alone, when was the last time I got sick from drinking, etc. It had to have been about 80% of the interview give or take. I very very rarely drink at all throughout the week and it's basically just a Friday/Saturday thing and it isn't always something I do. I've gone weeks without a drink, to which I told her. I basically just do it when I get together with my friends for the most part.

I haven't done a single drug (not even marijuana), never smoked a cigarette, no traffic violations or parking violations. No arrest history. Never was disciplined in school (other then a detention but I can't even remember if this was asked or not) or work.

I really thought that I was going to be fine going into this whole process, so to be DQed is pretty discouraging; especially after all I've gone through so far. Waiting 2 years just to get it started was hard enough!
      They are rough when it comes to alcohol usage. You told the doctor you drink every weekend ? According to them, that's not a good pattern. However, most cops drink like that. It's kind of ironic they disqualify people because of that.

Sent from my House Phone!!

Comment

• Conversely, I wonder how the BI reacts if you tell them you don't drink. Drinking seems to be the norm, especially as a social function.

I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I'm serious about my clean lifestyle to the point of having two tattoos to celebrate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
          I don't believe he grasps the seriousness of his actions, Mike.
          I took General and Abnormal Psychology in college and you're correct in that he is not taken responsibility for his actions. Somehow he rationalizes on this board that if he joins an Auxiliary Police Unit as a volunteer--that will negate his acts of misconduct and he'll get hired on that basis. Sometimes it is physiologically difficult for an individual to accept reality and move on to other endeavors when a subject of interest becomes unavailable.. This undesirable trait is quite common when an person has an obsessive-compulsion disorder.
          Untrue. I am very aware that I may never be an NYPD officer, and the situation which transpired was my fault. No one in life is perfect, everyone makes mistakes and you learn from them. Nothing in life is guaranteed and nothing worth having comes easy. I can approach the situation 1 of 2 ways. I give up and live my life always wondering if I could've got through it, or I try and if it doesn't work out, at least I tried. I understand theft is the issue, and if I can either re open my case next year or re process in 2020 when my exam expires. Either way, there's no guarantee. The real question is if it's worth the potential DQ or not. I'm still waiting for Nassau County Auxiliary police to call me to begin their BI. In any case, if you want something fight for it there's two sides to every story and I can absolutely guarantee guys or gals on the force have gotten on for much worse. i.e misdemeanors, convictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by BP3 View Post
            Conversely, I wonder how the BI reacts if you tell them you don't drink. Drinking seems to be the norm, especially as a social function.

I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I'm serious about my clean lifestyle to the point of having two tattoos to celebrate it.
            I said I do not drink, which I don't. Consistency is key. If you say you don't drink just look them in the eyes and say you don't. My psychologist looked at me like I had 10 heads that a 21 year old doesn't ever drink, but I said exactly that. I'm into fitness and I don't have any need for alcohol in my life.

Comment

• The problem is not only what you did. The problem is that you did not inform your investigator. That is the crux of your problem

Comment

The problem is not only what you did. The problem is that you did not inform your investigator. That is the crux of your problem
                LT., from what I am reading from PETE's post; he wants to sign up as an AP volunteer for the Nassau County PD. Given his previous background issues with NYPD and NCPD's rigid screening process of selecting their auxiliary members--it is doubtful they will accept him. As I am sure they, Nassau County, conduct thorough background investigations of their volunteers as Westchester County does with their Public Safety Emergency Force volunteers.
                Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 02-05-2016, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PETE3319 View Post
                  Untrue. I am very aware that I may never be an NYPD officer, and the situation which transpired was my fault. No one in life is perfect, everyone makes mistakes and you learn from them. Nothing in life is guaranteed and nothing worth having comes easy. I can approach the situation 1 of 2 ways. I give up and live my life always wondering if I could've got through it, or I try and if it doesn't work out, at least I tried. I understand theft is the issue, and if I can either re open my case next year or re process in 2020 when my exam expires. Either way, there's no guarantee. The real question is if it's worth the potential DQ or not. I'm still waiting for Nassau County Auxiliary police to call me to begin their BI. In any case, if you want something fight for it there's two sides to every story and I can absolutely guarantee guys or gals on the force have gotten on for much worse. i.e misdemeanors, convictions.

Yes, everyone makes mistakes. Due to the sensitive nature of police work each new hire is a calculated risk as to whether they could perform the duties of the position successfully. Unfortunately, you have chosen a line of work that believes previous acts of misconduct will be repeated again at some point in the future. This, in turn, if ignored; creates a liability problem for the agency when something or some event goes awry with the officer and as an end result-- the agency and officer ends up in court being sued. The legal jargon for this is 'negligent hiring' and punitive monetary damages can be added to any lawsuit that is successful against the agency.
                  Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 02-05-2016, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
                    Alcohol is a legal drug. Classified as an
                    anti-depressant. by your own admission; you used this drug many times to the point of being unconscious. Recreational use??? or to mask a problematic scenario ?? I believe you chose the direction you're heading for in so far as NYPD is concerned when you stated you didn't want to spend "thousands of dollars" on legal fees to contest your psych disqualification. There are other jobs out there. Good Luck!
                    I understand what you're saying, but like I said, those were in my college days. I'm 25 now so it's not like it hasn't happened in a few years. But, she formed an opinion and obviously they're sticking to it. I'm not trying to convince anyone here.

My question was, at this point in time, am I heading to the way of an attorney as they'll never reverse their decision? If so, I'll just withdraw now. But if all I have to do is get a psychologist and she can vouch for me and the NYPD will give me a 2nd interview I'll do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Melvindrbk View Post
                      They are rough when it comes to alcohol usage. You told the doctor you drink every weekend ? According to them, that's not a good pattern. However, most cops drink like that. It's kind of ironic they disqualify people because of that.

And you got this statistic from where now??? Unbelievable what people try and blow off as "normal" behavior. Thank God APD monitors these threads.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                        And you got this statistic from where now??? Unbelievable what people try and blow off as "normal" behavior. Thank God APD monitors these threads.
                        Why you always have something to say ? We are here trying to get help, you are not helping the cause. You pointing fingers at everybody. That's not cool

Comment

• Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                          I noticed these rejected candidates on this thread have a troubling tendency to rationalize poor behavior by substituting misinformation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Melvindrbk View Post
                            Why you always have something to say ? We are here trying to get help, you are not helping the cause. You pointing fingers at everybody. That's not cool

I'm ensuring that people with attitudes get confronted. Seems most of you who post here are so busy excusing your failures and blaming everyone else that you forget that it's YOU who's a failure.

Melvin, you just need to grow up and get off your "I'm special" horse.
                            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Sometimes there just is no "help". For example, don't you understand that the NYPD and its docs know what habits cops develop during their careers? Why would NYPD hire a candidate who has exhibited a drinking problem before he is even hired? As to character faults, as has been mentioned numerous times here, character DQs are virtually impossible to overturn. Again, why would NYPD hire a candidate who has been involved in what could be considered criminal conduct and then did not report that conduct during the hiring process? Could the job trust that your conduct would always be above reproach when acting in your official capacity? That's what you have to step back and look at. This forum will not be a source of ways to get around or reverse a DQ. Read most of Vista's posts. He has posted quite a bit of useful information. But always remember, even if you get everything reversed and make it to the Academy, you can be fired with no recourse during your time in the Academy and during the remainder of your probationary time. One misstep and you're out.

Comment

Sometimes there just is no "help". For example, don't you understand that the NYPD and its docs know what habits cops develop during their careers? Why would NYPD hire a candidate who has exhibited a drinking problem before he is even hired? As to character faults, as has been mentioned numerous times here, character DQs are virtually impossible to overturn. Again, why would NYPD hire a candidate who has been involved in what could be considered criminal conduct and then did not report that conduct during the hiring process? Could the job trust that your conduct would always be above reproach when acting in your official capacity? That's what you have to step back and look at. This forum will not be a source of ways to get around or reverse a DQ. Read most of Vista's posts. He has posted quite a bit of useful information. But always remember, even if you get everything reversed and make it to the Academy, you can be fired with no recourse during your time in the Academy and during the remainder of your probationary time. One misstep and you're out.

What I want to add to your comments, LT. Is that even if a candidate does make it through the academy and the probationary period: The possibility of NYS Civil Service Law Article 75 disciplinary charges are in full force for any misconduct, on or off-duty, or incompetency. Disciplinary penalties in the NYPD is swift, certain and severe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8091 users online. 383 members and 7708 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X