Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JJ34 View Post
    So if i needed to provide medical records and a college transcript to the Dr, this means im under review or is there a hold pending documents?
    Your on psych hold until they get your paperwork

Comment

• Originally posted by Melvindrbk View Post
      They should have done their homework before applying for the job.

Sent from my House Phone!!

True, and it's usually at that point their law enforcement career in New York State will come to an end after leaving the academy.

Comment

• [QUOTE=shimmy;3809144]
        Originally posted by Vista View Post
        Psych review? Its not rare

I had my 2nd interview in mid December im still on review so im hoping ill either get Q'd or get my letter of dq in a timely manner so I can start fighting it I cant afford to wait 2 yrs
        It took eight months after my second interview for the NYPD to reach a final decision. I can tell you this, if i would have sought out an Injunction to force a decision they probably would have sustained the DQ as opposed to rescinding it.

What few civil service attornies willtell you is that Article78 proceedings pertaining to law enforcement employment have an extremely low success rate, very costly and very lengthy. The NYPD (which has many lawyers working on a salary- in fact NYC operates the largest law firmin the country) will file motions, order to show cause,requests for more time etc. They will play the legal paperwork game to stall it. It can be years before the case is actually heard, at a high price, with a success rate that is dubious at best. Then you will likely still have to endure a civil service appeal.

Personally- you were afforded a second interview, which means they were on the fence. Theirs a good chance they will side in your favor- you really wanna shake them up?

Im all for civil service appeals- but ill be the first to admit that Article 78's are most often a waste of money.

The ONLY way id consider an article 78 is if i was nearing the maximim statutory age of employment and ineligible to take another exam.
        Problems with a psych exam?
        Have an upcoming
        PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
        you make up your mind.
        WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM

Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
        http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
          The only way you will be able to get these documents is if you file an appeal with the NYC CSC. Other than that; these documents are deemed sensitive internal interdepartmental memos just as the contents of your background investigation file is.
          Their may be another option. Their was a candidate who was DQ by the Port Authority for psychological reasons. Like Suffolk County, port authority takes the position that their psychological records are their property and not subject to public health law pertaining to medical records.

The candidate filed an article 78 against them, because Port Authority has no internal appeal process. Although he lost the Article 78 in the aspect of forcing the hiring decision, the supreme court held that agency psychological and medical documentation IS subject to public health law, and as such must be released in accordance to such law.

Perhaps filing a complaint with the NYS Department of Health asking them to launch an inquiry? In the end, they may actually have to sue NYPD. THIS would probably be a solid article 78 case against NYPD as it does not involve a hiring decision on NYPD's part, but a failure to abide by an applicable law. Ill find the case later; but, it was one of Rob Kronenberg's cases.
          http://decisions.courts.state.ny.us/...007001SCIV.pdf
          Last edited by Vista; 01-19-2016, 08:25 AM.
          Have an upcoming

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
          you make up your mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJ34 View Post
            So if i needed to provide medical records and a college transcript to the Dr, this means im under review or is there a hold pending documents?
            certified mail, "green card" return reciept requested for everything.
            Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
              Their may be another option. Their was a candidate who was DQ by the Port Authority for psychological reasons. Like Suffolk County, port authority takes the position that their psychological records are their property and not subject to public health law pertaining to medical records.

The candidate filed an article 78 against them, because Port Authority has no internal appeal process. Although he lost the Article 78 in the aspect of forcing the hiring decision, the supreme court held that agency psychological and medical documentation IS subject to public health law, and as such must be released in accordance to such law.

Perhaps filing a complaint with the NYS Department of Health asking them to launch an inquiry? In the end, they may actually have to sue NYPD. THIS would probably be a solid article 78 case against NYPD as it does not involve a hiring decision on NYPD's part, but a failure to abide by an applicable law. Ill find the case later; but, it was one of Rob Kronenberg's cases.
              http://decisions.courts.state.ny.us/...007001SCIV.pdf

Excellent observation and use of the NYS Public Health Law!! However; another valid point is that the in-house NYPD psychologist DOES NOT actually medically 'treat' the candidate but merely "evaluates" him/her on the basis of documented collected data and verbal responses to questions..
              Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 01-19-2016, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Vista;3810066]
                Originally posted by shimmy View Post

It took eight months after my second interview for the NYPD to reach a final decision. I can tell you this, if i would have sought out an Injunction to force a decision they probably would have sustained the DQ as opposed to rescinding it.

What few civil service attornies willtell you is that Article78 proceedings pertaining to law enforcement employment have an extremely low success rate, very costly and very lengthy. The NYPD (which has many lawyers working on a salary- in fact NYC operates the largest law firmin the country) will file motions, order to show cause,requests for more time etc. They will play the legal paperwork game to stall it. It can be years before the case is actually heard, at a high price, with a success rate that is dubious at best. Then you will likely still have to endure a civil service appeal.

Personally- you were afforded a second interview, which means they were on the fence. Theirs a good chance they will side in your favor- you really wanna shake them up?

Im all for civil service appeals- but ill be the first to admit that Article 78's are most often a waste of money.

The ONLY way id consider an article 78 is if i was nearing the maximim statutory age of employment and ineligible to take another exam.
                I'm 32 years old dcas said my exam expires in 2018 (exam4300) so you ended up getting Q'd after being on review for that long? I'm waiting probably till end of march then gonna have a consolation with jerold levine see what he says about my chances of winning

Comment

• [QUOTE=shimmy;3810223]

I'm 32 years old dcas said my exam expires in 2018 (exam4300) so you ended up getting Q'd after being on review for that long? I'm waiting probably till end of march then gonna have a consolation with jerold levine see what he says about my chances of winning
                  The waiting process is the worse. Being on review is stressful man.

Comment

• [QUOTE=shimmy;3810223]

Have you considered a career in corrections?? It's a honorable profession. This post is directed to Shimmy, not Vista.

Comment

• [QUOTE=CountyCorrectionOfficer;3810286]

Have you considered a career in corrections?? It's a honorable profession. This post is directed to Shimmy, not Vista.
                      yes I just took the corrections exam scored an 82. also took tbta exam in march 2015 still waiting on the results also keeping my fingers crossed for the court officers im hoping I get into the last academy for the 2009 list I still have to take my oral psych for them so I have a few options but im still going to fight to get the nypd unless I get into the court officer academy in feburary

Comment

• [QUOTE=shimmy;3810223]

Take another test now- and, i would consult with a few attorneys before spending $4-$10 grand on an Article 78 to force a decision.

I'll explain why being on psych review takes so long. They process tons of candidates, and they also handle all the other day to day psychological services for the department. I think they have like 20 staff psychologists processing thousands of candidates. When your placed on review, basically its referred to a supervisor, for review. Like police ranks, their are different levels of supervisors your case must pass through. They often even send your case to one of two outside consultants that the city contracts with (one being Dr Arko) before the director of psychological services- who is the excurive of that division makes a final decision which is basically a rubber stamp. This can take a LONG time due to case load- with NYPD you are one fish in a very large sea of applicants.

When I was on review, i asked a friend of mine (my physician actually, who is a Honorary NYPD Surgeon) to reach out to someone and see what was holding me up.

He got in touch with a (now retired) two star chief of the Training Bureau, who told me that psych reviews are processed in exam/list order and they do not try and hold people up there for no reason. He said that the (then new, now gone) chief of personell was working to get the review / dq process more expedited on the investigative end.

He told me NEVER to try and force a decision, and to just wait it out. (He also told me that I would be disqualified, told me to absolutely appeal it and reccomended an attorney). I actually recieved my proposed dq paperwork 5 days later. I appealed, and my dq was rescinded.

Being your 32.... However, your hitting the statutory age- take another test now. But im not sure if seeking injunctive relief against them to force (which at that point will be an inevitable) DQ is worth the money and time. It does not take much to see how succesful those cases are- its public record. The only case i can find where Jerald Levine was succesful at achieving a hiring decision was one that the agency issued their determination before the judge ever issued a ruling, basically rendering the suite a moot point- the case was dismissed. Yes, the agency made a decision for whatever reason, but the court did not side in anyones favor.

I'll post the link to that case when i get some time.
                        Have an upcoming

you make up your mind.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Vista;3811807]

Take another test now- and, i would consult with a few attorneys before spending $4-$10 grand on an Article 78 to force a decision.

I'll explain why being on psych review takes so long. They process tons of candidates, and they also handle all the other day to day psychological services for the department. I think they have like 20 staff psychologists processing thousands of candidates. When your placed on review, basically its referred to a supervisor, for review. Like police ranks, their are different levels of supervisors your case must pass through. They often even send your case to one of two outside consultants that the city contracts with (one being Dr Arko) before the director of psychological services- who is the excurive of that division makes a final decision which is basically a rubber stamp. This can take a LONG time due to case load- with NYPD you are one fish in a very large sea of applicants.

When I was on review, i asked a friend of mine (my physician actually, who is a Honorary NYPD Surgeon) to reach out to someone and see what was holding me up.

He got in touch with a (now retired) two star chief of the Training Bureau, who told me that psych reviews are processed in exam/list order and they do not try and hold people up there for no reason. He said that the (then new, now gone) chief of personell was working to get the review / dq process more expedited on the investigative end.

He told me NEVER to try and force a decision, and to just wait it out. (He also told me that I would be disqualified, told me to absolutely appeal it and reccomended an attorney). I actually recieved my proposed dq paperwork 5 days later. I appealed, and my dq was rescinded.

Being your 32.... However, your hitting the statutory age- take another test now. But im not sure if seeking injunctive relief against them to force (which at that point will be an inevitable) DQ is worth the money and time. It does not take much to see how succesful those cases are- its public record. The only case i can find where Jerald Levine was succesful at achieving a hiring decision was one that the agency issued their determination before the judge ever issued a ruling, basically rendering the suite a moot point- the case was dismissed. Yes, the agency made a decision for whatever reason, but the court did not side in anyones favor.

I'll post the link to that case when i get some time.
                          hey vista got a question for you can I pm you.

Comment

• hi, i have a question. my father had schizophrenia, how would this affect me during the psych interview?

Comment

• Originally posted by supman View Post
                              hi, i have a question. my father had schizophrenia, how would this affect me during the psych interview?

Just so long as you are NOT schizophrenic.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post

Just so long as you are NOT schizophrenic.
                                Also, if they don't live together in the same house.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8975 users online. 432 members and 8543 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X