Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Psych DQ or on NYPD psych review info and help..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Melvindrbk View Post
    Sorry to hear that man, you were pretty close. My only advise would be to get an attorney.

Sent from my House Phone!!

Character disqualifications are next to impossible to overturn. The courts give appointing authorities broad discretion in appointing law enforcement officers. This is because these positions are sensitive in nature and involve the public trust and confidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by PETE3319 View Post
      Hello all happy new year to everyone. The worst thing possible took place for me. I was called for January and then about 2 days before the academy I had gotten a call for a disciplinary incident I failed to disclose. Long story short my university sent over an incident report which entailed me taking a cell phone and selling it to a friend, then it was returned and that was the end of it. I failed to disclose because I was not disciplined on the matter and no authorities were involved. So my investigator advised me to withdraw from the process and try again in the future because it's either that or a DQ. I truly can't believe this happened. She said it could even affect me if I try to re open my case. What advice would you all give? I was thinking community service and some letters of recommendation. I was literally in the academy and this bombshell happened. It sucks but i really need to fight for this. It was an isolated incident in 2012 and a big mistake I don't know how to recoup from this. :/
      Id get a lawyer and fight it if you really want the job.

Comment

• Deleted...
        Last edited by PETE3319; 01-07-2016, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I was called for the academy my BI was 100% clean this was the only thing which cost me. I did not receive a DQ I withdrew because it was either that or a DQ. I find it very hard to believe people get on the job with misdemeanors, and this situation authorities were not even notified. I was not even disciplined on the matter which is why I hadn't notified my investigator because the paperwork asked for disciplinary action. I had gotten a letter from the dean indicating no action took place. So even if I reopen the same outcome would arise? Even after letters of recommendation and community service? I have no tickets, MVA's, criminal record, nothing. This is the only thing that came up, which was a big mistake on my part, but I was hoping I can still fight through it.

You should understand that NYPD has established stringent hiring and retention guidelines for their candidates. The unfortunate part about it was that you stole property and it was documented. Your investigator was merely acting on instructions from his superiors to prevent you from being appointed by signing the letter of declination. Even if you were appointed; they still could have terminated (disqualified) you from employment .

You did sign the letter of declination and your name was subsequently removed off the list of eligibles. Forget NYPD and think about applying to other agencies.
          Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 01-06-2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Deleted...
            Last edited by PETE3319; 01-07-2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Deleted...
              Last edited by PETE3319; 01-07-2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I would have rather withdrawn as opposed to getting DQ, or worse fired. It's very unfortunate that one mistake, which was over and done with in 30 minutes has potentially cost me a future with the NYPD. Why do you insist there is no chance for me? My BI is stellar and if I show how much I want this with community service or recommendation letters from employers and past HS/university, there's still no hope? I understand theft here is the issue, but there has to be something I can do, no? After all, I was called for the academy initially.

Again, NYPD goes by well established hiring and retention guidelines for selecting candidates. It might sound unfair to you on face value but keep in mind NYPD can afford to be highly selective given the vast number of candidates taking the written test. Only ONE out ten candidates taking the written exam actually make it into the academy. You do have the right to retest again but you'll only be confronted with the same scenario when they reopen your previously sealed candidate file. NYPD isn't the only game in town--there are other LE agencies out there that will consider your "record as a whole". Good Luck!!

Comment

It was public safety. The NYPD would've had no idea about it if the school didn't send it out, but it is their job to do so and was my own fault at the end of the day. To make matters worse my BI had thought I was deceitful by not disclosing this, but I wasn't disciplined on the matter, which is why I didn't mention it. If I had known this would transpire I would've said it from the start. I truly
                  Have no idea how to get out of this. As the other poster mentioned, I may need to just apply elsewhere unfortunately. I had waited years to be an NYPD officer and getting this bombshell after receiving the academy email was literally my worst nightmare. I really don't know what else I could do at this point.

You were asked on your application if you knew of anything (including incidents) that would affect your suitability for employment.
                  This is why your investigator believes you are deceitful by omitting the negative incident. This brings up a credibility issue that in their eyes--you made a false written statement under oath.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
                    You were asked on your application if you knew of anything (including incidents) that would affect your suitability for employment.
                    This is why your investigator believes you are deceitful by omitting the negative incident. This brings up a credibility issue that in their eyes--you made a false written statement under oath.
                    Which one is worst, alcohol or stealing ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Melvindrbk View Post
                      Which one is worst, alcohol or stealing ?

Certainly not an expert but from all the reading I've done, I'd conclude stealing

Comment

• Originally posted by rmcm1995 View Post
                        Certainly not an expert but from all the reading I'd conclude stealing.

Comment

• Double post my bad

Comment

• Originally posted by rmcm1995 View Post
                            Certainly not an expert but from all the reading I've done, I'd conclude stealing

Failure to disclose is the worst. Followed by petty larceny / theft. Thats the worst minor criminal offense you can have in their eyes.

alcohol- what kinda alcohol troubles? DWI? Agg DWI? Open bottle?
                            Problems with a psych exam?
                            Have an upcoming
                            PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM that you NEED to PREPARE for?

If your Disqualified, Pressured too withdraw, Recieved a Proposed DQ or want to talk about the appeal process- check these guys out. Doesnt hurt too call them- free, detailed telepone consultation before
                            you make up your mind.
                            WWW.LAWENFORCEMENTPEPTALK.COM

Attorney Rob Kronenberg WWW.RKRONENBERGLAW.COM

Appeal Psychologist: Mark Lerner
                            http://www.crisisdoctors.com/Site/Dr._Mark_Lerner.html

Comment

• Yeah, it's a good lesson for the rest of us to definitely disclose. Even if you are put on review, better to deal with that, and get the paperwork than get a lifetime ax for getting caught in a lie. Seems alcohol is a major no no for them in any sense.
                              Last edited by rmcm1995; 01-07-2016, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista View Post
                                Failure to disclose is the worst. Followed by petty larceny / theft. Thats the worst minor criminal offense you can have in their eyes.

alcohol- what kinda alcohol troubles? DWI? Agg DWI? Open bottle?

Getting into altercations, misdemeanor assault convictions also weighs heavily against candidates for NYPD.

BTW, a conviction of Petty Larceny is an automatic bar to NYPD appointment persuant to NYC Administrative Code.

I guess I might have chased PETE3319 away with this discussion. But hey, "got to tell it like it is" as the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young pop song goes. Just trying to help people seeking a career in this field to face reality.
                                Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 01-08-2016, 07:01 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10721 users online. 460 members and 10261 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X