300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Patches

I started collecting police patches, from various departments around the country, about a year ago. I now have a few dozen patches most of which I bought through ebay. Someone tipped me off that a lot of the patches sold on ebay are fakes. How do you verify that the patches you buy are authentic? Are there webpages that show comparison photos of fake and authentic patches side by side? Or could someone recommend a more reputable patch seller? Or does it really matter to you if the patches are fake or not?

The issue of fakes and reproductions in police collecting is nothing new. Some avid collectors are vehemently against reproductions, while others see repros as a “gap filler” for hard to find items. In some cases it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between a real versus fake/repro patch or badge, while in other cases the indicators are obvious for anyone with even a minor knowledge of the designs used.

There are numerous state/agency centric collector sites that do just as you ask; side by side comparison of police patches and other collectibles, often with evolving series’ showing evolution of designs. If you are seeking a definitive reference for federal items, I would suggest a copy of the “Encyclopedia of Federal Law Enforcement Patches” available online. Also, a visit to http://www.raymondsherrard.com/ will provide some additional guidance.

In the end, it is entirely up to you as to the amount of time, energy and more importantly, money you want to invest in what is a popular hobby for both LEOs and the public.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Most people don't care and, in some cases, it will be impossible to tell. Also, look for fakes to be more common in federal agencies and patches that sell for some relatively good coin. The guy selling a BFE Township, Ohio patch for 99 cents isn't selling you a Chinese knock-off. If provenance is of a concern to you, be more concerned about the 10-15 dollar "DEA-Swat-Narcotics Task Force Sniper Team" patch.

Comment

NY state law vs. patch and badge collecting

btw, after 9/11 the witnits in Albany passed a law effectively making patch and badge collecting illegal in New York State. One result is that all patch swap meets or shows had to close down and/or move to New Jersey. (for those of us in the NYC area). I am not able to give you the legal citation but its in there someplace. It's mainly ignored but keep it in the back of your mind. Also, I suggest you subscribe to a specialty newspaer called "Police Collectors News", which is a bi-monthly from someplace in Wisconsin. It's really good and you will learn alot about fakes, rags and repros. Good luck its a great hobby.

Comment

Hey, I'm interested in trading patches. I'm a U.S. Border Patrol Agent in Tucson, AZ. I'd be willing to send you a Border Patrol patch AND a Dept. of Homeland Security patch for trade. I'm looking for any P.D. in the U.S./Europe. (Except for NYPD...I already have one of those.)

If you're interested in trading, drop me a line at my email: [email protected]. That's the best way to get a hold of me, since I check my email every day. I don't check officer.com that much, so you would have much better luck getting me at that email.

Do you have any challenge coins for trade as well?

Thanks in advance!

James

Comment

Hi I’m from the UK. My family name is Burnham I’m a retired firefighter, my brother is also fire service and his wife is a police officer. As an interesting gift idea I thought I’d buy a “Burnham” fire and police patch and frame them. I managed to secure an almost mint Burnham fire patch but am struggling for a nice Burnham Police patch. I have seen one shield shaped that would be perfect if anyone could help?

Thank you, Andrew Burnham
            [email protected]

Comment

• HighwayBob
              HighwayBob commented
              Editing a comment
              Why are you posting this here???? There is no city/town/village of Burnham in New York that I can find.

Sorry HighwayBob. I read the top message and missed the fact that this is regional. As I said I’m from the UK which would fit inside New York State half a dozen times. My sincere apologies for my inappropriate posting.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13877 users online. 477 members and 13400 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X