300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else see this photo?

I have tried to upload the photo from the NYPD rant site, but for some reason I cannot get it done, maybe someone else a bit better with computers can post it. This was supposedlly taken at one of the "sympathetic" Occupy Wall Street demos taken place over the past few days in different cities across the US. This is supposedly the chief of the Austin, Tx Police Dept. There are other photos of the same protester with the same sign, so it is unlikely it is a photoshop. I hope it is a photo shop, I hate to think another cop would pose with a photo like this.

here is the link:

http://theerant.yuku.com/topic/44888...-Shame-on-NYPD
    Last edited by Sled; 10-08-2011, 01:33 PM.

It does appear to be Austin PD Chief Acevedo. Don't read too much into it. It takes only a fraction of a second to make a photograph. What happened before and after that fraction?

Comment

It doesnt matter, as he made a few photographs in the same fashion. Its pretty obvious where his heart us.
      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Any Texas LEO's on the air to respond?

Comment

I am more angry at the fact that he couldn't properly use the periods in N.Y.P.D. and A.P.D.

More than likely, the Chief didn't even get a chance to see what was written on the sign.

Comment

Look at 02:21 on the video.

http://www.statesman.com/news/video-..._ece_frontpage
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Pretty disgraceful. Shame on him...that video is disturbing. I don't know anything about Austin, TX or it's police department, but I do know how unprofessional that is for the CHIEF EXECUTIVE of an agency to act in such a manner. Sure, he didn't write the sign, but that just doesn't look good. I'm sure he thinks it's funny that thousands of cops here in Manhattan are spending days and days away from family on ordered overtime, risking their safety and well being to be surrounded by a hostile (yes, regardless of what is said in the media, it IS hostile) crowd who has proven time and time again to provoke the NYPD into using force to further their cause.

Chief Acevedo, how about you come to to NYC and stand a post with us and see how "shameful" it is for us to keep our city safe. To do what WE have to do to GO HOME every night. Shame on YOU for making the men and women of YOUR department embarrassed, as they likely are to call you their leader. I know that this photo is spreading like wildfire through the job here, but I also know that in no way are cops usually representative of the brass, so be safe Austin PD and good luck with this imbecile at the reigns.

_DF
              Last edited by DigitalFrenchie; 10-10-2011, 03:58 PM.
              sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
              DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

I've been in contact with Wayne Vincent who is the Austin PD PBA president. He is a gentleman and standup guy. He is very upset with what the Chief did and let him know it. His answer to me was that he agreed with me and the rest of us who became upset. This shouldn't reflect on the cops who work in Austin. He asked my permission to forward my complaint to the Chief which he had requested. I have a copy of the letter Chief Acevedo sent him. It's a very long letter. Of course I told him to send it and identify me as well. I'm not familiar with Austin but it's a real nice city if you can set aside being upset with what this liberal from L.A. had done. I'm familiar with Texas in general cause I had an uncle who lived there and a friend of mine retired as Deputy Chief of Police in El Paso. Texas has some of the best in law enforcement. Anyone remember the Texas Rangers? I ask that you don't judge the cops for what their bosses do. In NYC we have Kelly and Bloomturd. Need I say more?
                Last edited by gunsmokeTPF; 10-10-2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gunsmokeTPF View Post
                  I've been in contact with Wayne Vincent who is the Austin PD PBA president. He is a gentleman and standup guy. He is very upset with what the Chief did and let him know it. His answer to me was that he agreed with me and the rest of us who became upset. This shouldn't reflect on the cops who work in Austin. He asked my permission to forward my complaint to the Chief which he had requested. I have a copy of the letter Chief Acevedo sent him. It's a very long letter. Of course I told him to send it and identify me as well. I'm not familiar with Austin but it's a real nice city if you can set aside being upset with what this liberal from L.A. had done. I'm familiar with Texas in general cause I had an uncle who lived there and a friend of mine retired as Deputy Chief of Police in El Paso. Texas has some of the best in law enforcement. Anyone remember the Texas Rangers? I ask that you don't judge the cops for what their bosses do. In NYC we have Kelly and Bloomturd. Need I say more?

+1!

You are definitely correct. Real cops know better than to use their brass as a respresentation of themselves. I know a good dozen of MOS who have been in contact with their union and I'm told how stand up they are. I know just about all of the NYPD would NEVER think of holding this guys actions against them...Austin cops are welcome here anytime and with full courtesies. We both have the luxury of having to police a city that wants nothing to do with us.

+10000 on Bloomdo*che and Popeye
                  sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                  DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

When I first saw the picture and it disturbed me, but I thought for sure it was photoshopped. I then saw the video and it made me sick. I am not an Austin Police Officer, but let me be the first Texas LEO to express my disgust with Chief Acevedo's gesture.

To my bretheren near and far and those in the N.Y.P.D. I would like to express my sincere apology, on behalf of an embarassed Texas LEO.

Comment

It isn't necessary for anyone in Texas law enforcement to apologize for what Chief Acevedo did. It was stupid, disgusting and much more, but I just received an e-mail a few minutes ago from Wayne Vincent again who repeated to me how sorry he was concerning what happened. I find that amazing. If I tried to contact my PBA president Pat Lynch I'd have to wait till it snowed in July before I'd hear from him. He even gave me, a nobody, his phone number to give to anyone who wanted to call him. This I will not do except under special circumstances. The only apology should come from the Chief and no Texas cop should have to feel the need to defend themselves. Most of us know in our hearts that they're our brothers and sisters and we'll always be there for eachother.

Comment

I smell an internal investigation happening very shortly. :-(
                        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I sent him an e-mail... I wasn't really expecting a response but got one quick and was pretty satisfied with the one I got......

I appreciate you reaching out to me, and sharing your concerns. I think it is safe to say we have all had an ah crap moment, and to be perfectly honest with you, on the morning of that photo I was walking around engaging people around city hall. When the guy with the photo approached me to take a photo, at first the NYPD shame piece didn’t register and my focus was on the God Bless APD verbiage, and quite frankly the interaction was all in good spirit and in keeping people loose and making them realize that 1. We aren’t the enemy, and 2. Regardless of their message, they have the right to express themselves and protest so long as they conduct themselves in a lawful manner, and we were there to ensure that the few anarchists in their midst didn’t take advantage of their peaceful protest.

Once I finished posing for the photo and engaging the guy, I had that ah crap moment, turned to one of my guys and said, ****, what was I thinking. I did not intend to embarrass NYPD or my friends on your great department, my mind focused on the positive aspect of the message regarding APD.

I reached out to NYPD brass Saturday and the PBA and apologized, and I drafted a response on my blackberry and have corresponded to your brother and sister officers. Your initial reaction to the photo was spot on.

Since I have a lot on my plate after several e-mails back and forth with NYPD personnel, I drafted a response which is on Thee Rant. My comment about contrasting and comparing was just that. When NYPD has come up in conversations with people outside our city hall, I have told them there is no comparison and that they (Austin) were being engaged and responsible, and we were not dealing with nearly the number of people or issues you are dealing with.

I am in D.C. until Friday afternoon, at which time I will pose for another photo and send it out (the photo will speak for itself). On another note, I noticed on Thee Rant that some of you guys are busting one of your own pretty harshly for posing for a photo with a woman who was holding a sign and flashing the peace sign. Being friendly is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength and confidence and that poor guy shouldn’t be beat up. Beat me up for my mental lapse, but please give that poor guy a break.

Any way, thanks for writing me and expressing yourself. Be safe out there. By the way, I have returned phone calls to your colleagues that have called and left a number and explained much more succinctly how this went down. Be on the lookout for the photo on Friday evening and call me if I can ever be service at (512) 974-5030.

Regards,

Art Acevedo

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9532 users online. 476 members and 9056 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X