Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

questions about coming to NYC for the NYPD exam from an out-of stater

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • questions about coming to NYC for the NYPD exam from an out-of stater

    Hello all,
    I am flying into NYC (LGA) from Austin, TX, to take the NYPD exam (for whatever reason, they aren't doing the exam on May 30th, so I will be taking it on May 31st) First, I was wondering if one of the two testing sites is easier to get to/find than the other? I was planning on going to the testing center in lower Manhattan, 2 Lafayette Street - 17th Floor.
    Also, the website says this: "You are not permitted to enter the test site with cellular phones, beepers, pagers, or other electronic devices." I was depending on my phone to help me find the location of the testing center....I'd rather not be out in a relatively un-familiar (to me) city without it. Can I bring it with me to the testing center, and then leave it there somewhere while I take the test?
    And finally, do I need to bring any sort of documentation, birth certificate, ssn card, etc, with me? What is some information I would want to know/have handy for the applicant processing?
    Thank you all so much! I look forward to finally taking the plunge and coming out to take the test and get the process started.
    p.s. do I find out my score right after taking the test? Or does it get mailed or emailed to me later?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."--Edmund Burke

  • #2
    You will find out your score at the end of the test. Its on a computer which makes grading nice. No need to wait months for your score. Your list number, however, will be mailed to you later when they figure out the total number of people in your test and how many people are getting the +5 for residency.

    Bring your cell, just turn it off. They dont have you put all your cells in a bucket before the test begins. 2 Laffayette is easy to find. You wont need anything but an ID. You're a name and a number at this point.

    And the most expressed peice of advice given in this process: Hang in there. Its a long wait. 3+ years as it stands.
    Last edited by SGT. Joe Friday; 05-14-2011, 11:28 PM.
    13O2 Aug '10
    List: <1000

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SGT. Joe Friday View Post
      You will find out your score at the end of the test. Its on a computer which makes grading nice. No need to wait months for your score. Your list number, however, will be mailed to you later when they figure out the total number of people in your test and how many people are getting the +5 for residency.

      Bring your cell, just turn it off. They dont have you put all your cells in a bucket before the test begins. 2 Laffayette is easy to find. You wont need anything but an ID. You're a name and a number at this point.

      And the most expressed peice of advice given in this process: Hang in there. Its a long wait. 3+ years as it stands.
      what he said then just to stay out of trouble for 2.5-3 years
      NYPD
      Exam# 8316 12/2008

      Ready for Hire!!

      January 2012 - "Last of the mohicans"...... Just missed the July 2011 class.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SGT. Joe Friday View Post
        You will find out your score at the end of the test. Its on a computer which makes grading nice. No need to wait months for your score. Your list number, however, will be mailed to you later when they figure out the total number of people in your test and how many people are getting the +5 for residency.

        Bring your cell, just turn it off. They dont have you put all your cells in a bucket before the test begins. 2 Laffayette is easy to find. You wont need anything but an ID. You're a name and a number at this point.

        And the most expressed peice of advice given in this process: Hang in there. Its a long wait. 3+ years as it stands.
        awesome! I'm glad I can bring my cell. Should I get a taxi to take me to the address, or is it easy enough to find via subway/walking?
        And I'll hang in there for three years - it's worth waiting for!
        "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."--Edmund Burke

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by J-manX View Post
          what he said then just to stay out of trouble for 2.5-3 years
          Oh yes, I'll stay out of trouble! I've never been in trouble with the law before (never even gotten a speeding ticket, warning, nothing!) and I'm in the interview process for some State Government jobs here in Austin, to hold me over during this long waiting period.
          "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."--Edmund Burke

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vtboyarc View Post
            Hello all,
            I am flying into NYC (LGA) from Austin, TX, to take the NYPD exam (for whatever reason, they aren't doing the exam on May 30th, so I will be taking it on May 31st) First, I was wondering if one of the two testing sites is easier to get to/find than the other? I was planning on going to the testing center in lower Manhattan, 2 Lafayette Street - 17th Floor.
            Also, the website says this: "You are not permitted to enter the test site with cellular phones, beepers, pagers, or other electronic devices." I was depending on my phone to help me find the location of the testing center....I'd rather not be out in a relatively un-familiar (to me) city without it. Can I bring it with me to the testing center, and then leave it there somewhere while I take the test?
            And finally, do I need to bring any sort of documentation, birth certificate, ssn card, etc, with me? What is some information I would want to know/have handy for the applicant processing?
            Thank you all so much! I look forward to finally taking the plunge and coming out to take the test and get the process started.
            p.s. do I find out my score right after taking the test? Or does it get mailed or emailed to me later?
            I flew in from chicago to take the test in janurary. planning ahead will do you alot of good. i flew into LGA; taxi ride to my buddy's place this taxi driver tried to charge me $55 saying that his meter was broken and its a flat fee (5 miles from the airport) gave the guy $10 and told him to get his meter fixed. taking the subway was very inexpensive and dropped me off 3 blocks from the brooklyn testing center. don't worry about your cell phone just make sure its turned off, i think i remember them saying if it rings, you're out.

            all i needed to take the test was my drivers license and debit card to pay for the test.
            again, plan your route ahead of time http://www.mta.info/
            the test was a breeze, just got my list number at the end of april, and everything i've been hearing is its about a 3 year wait.

            Comment


            • #7
              When I went to the test center, they told me if they don't see or hear it then you're good to go. Make sure you get there a bit early.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ssdjs21 View Post
                I flew in from chicago to take the test in janurary. planning ahead will do you alot of good. i flew into LGA; taxi ride to my buddy's place this taxi driver tried to charge me $55 saying that his meter was broken and its a flat fee (5 miles from the airport) gave the guy $10 and told him to get his meter fixed. taking the subway was very inexpensive and dropped me off 3 blocks from the brooklyn testing center. don't worry about your cell phone just make sure its turned off, i think i remember them saying if it rings, you're out.

                all i needed to take the test was my drivers license and debit card to pay for the test.
                again, plan your route ahead of time http://www.mta.info/
                the test was a breeze, just got my list number at the end of april, and everything i've been hearing is its about a 3 year wait.
                awesome thank you so much! That helps a lot!
                "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."--Edmund Burke

                Comment

                MR300x250 Tablet

                Collapse

                What's Going On

                Collapse

                There are currently 3144 users online. 159 members and 2985 guests.

                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                Welcome Ad

                Collapse
                Working...
                X