300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYS Investigator Exam

I see that New York is offering the exam for investigator. Does anyone have any information about this position. I know that they are not considered police or peace officers and do not carry, but I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about the job....morale, daily activities, work location, etc....
    As a Corrections Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve my community; to safeguard the lives and property within my jurisdiction; to protect against deception, oppression or intimidation; to prevent violence or disorder; and to respect and preserve the constitutional rights of all.

I just noticed this position today, and am also interested. I've mostly applied to specific agencies and departments, so i'm unfamiliar with the hiring process. How does it work, applying to NYS department of civil service? Assuming you take and pass the test for investigator, where would you get hired? I didn't feel like the announcement offered a whole lot of information.

Comment

you guys got a link?

Comment

Originally posted by Roninjin View Post
        you guys got a link?
        Google?

nys examinations might be a clue?
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Actually I learned that some agencies hire off the exam that do give them Peace officer status one agency is the NYS Tax department. There are also agencies that do not give them any status.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanpax View Post
            Actually I learned that some agencies hire off the exam that do give them Peace officer status one agency is the NYS Tax department. There are also agencies that do not give them any status.
            This Grade 14 exam is not used to fill the Grade 16 Excise Tax Investigator 1 with the NYS Dept of Taxation and Finance. The Grade 16 investigators are armed peace officer officers and actually get to do some pretty cool joint operations with regard to smuggling cigarettes and booze and the like.

The DMV also has Grade 16 investigator positions (also not filled from this list) who are armed and do a lot of work with stolen vehicles and identity theft.

Good luck to all taking this exam.

Comment

So is anyone else taking this exam tomorrow at hicksville middle school? I still don't know too much about the position itself or how the hiring process works.

Comment

Originally posted by Americana114 View Post
                So is anyone else taking this exam tomorrow at hicksville middle school? I still don't know too much about the position itself or how the hiring process works.
                I took the exam over here in Western NY. How do you think you did? I would also like to know more about the position and the hiring process. The job announcement didn't really describe much. I "googled" some of the agencies that the job announcement stated would hire from this test and found some interesting articles about investigations they conducted. For example, NYS Department of Taxation and Finance had some interesting tax fraud cases. This agency is of particular interest to me because I will be graduating with my master's in accounting soon and think it will be right up my alley.

I also did some other research and saw that the most current list (from 2006 exam, I believe) for this position expires in 2012. I don't know if this means we will have to wait until then to potentially be hired or what. It also appeared that not many people from that list were hired. I could be wrong though.
                Last edited by toocoldhere11; 06-04-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Anyone get their test results yet?

Comment

I don't believe the results are out yet. You can always check online at the DCS website. You need to login in to ELMS after clicking on job seekers a couple times. I noticed results are posted there about a week before you receive the results in the mail. I hope you did well...the test didn't seem too bad but those are always the ones that surprise you.

Comment

anybody has an update on this? i took the exam in june i believe, the results should have been out already but i dont see anything

Comment

Nah, nothing yet. I guess it's going to take the full 6 months. How do you think you did? I didn't think it was too bad, thought some of the questions involving acronyms were BS though. i.e. " the DVNS is mostly responsible for all of the following except..." Are we really expected to know what that stands for, and how would that make us any more qualified for the position?

Comment

Results are now out on the NY civil service website!!

Comment

Originally posted by JReidy3695 View Post
                            Results are now out on the NY civil service website!!
                            Just got my letter in the mail today with the results. 9x.xx. I guess a lot of people took it b/c my list # is in the low 400's.

Comment

Originally posted by Americana114 View Post
                              Just got my letter in the mail today with the results. 9x.xx. I guess a lot of people took it b/c my list # is in the low 400's.
                              Edit: with so many people scoring the same, where does that put you on the list? I'm below a significant number of people that scored the same as me, but are they really ahead of me at this point?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5991 users online. 338 members and 5653 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X