300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 NYPD cops could be charged for getting rid of tickets

As many as 400 cops could face disciplinary charges for fixing tickets in a widening corruption scandal, The Post has learned.
    Two NYPD lawyers were recently transferred from the department's legal bureau to its advocate's office, which handles departmental trials against officers, and told to expect hundreds of cases, according to a source in the unit.
    "This is huge," said the source. "That's a lot of cops all in one shot. I've never heard of something like that before, this many police officers charged in one period."
    "It was a systemic thing," said another source familiar with the probe.

The department will charge cops internally in all 12 Bronx precincts -- and possibly other boroughs -- for allegedly helping out friends and family by "losing" paperwork and missing court dates. In turn, parking tickets, moving violations and quality-of-life summonses would be dismissed in court or vanish before ever getting near a judge.
    Officers found guilty in department trials could get fired, lose benefits, or be reprimanded or warned.
    Those who tampered with documents might face criminal charges of obstruction or filing a false instrument, while cops who took money could be hit with felonies such as bribery.
    The NYPD lawyers plan to go after union delegates and fixers most aggressively, some of whom some could face criminal charges as well, the source said. Officers who simply sought favors from the fixers would likely get lighter punishment.
    A Bronx grand jury is separately weighing criminal charges against about 40 cops accused of taking bribes to make the violations go away.
    The investigation started in 2008 when a Bronx cop suspected of selling drugs was heard on a wiretap asking a union rep to take care of a summons.
    That officer was stripped of his gun and badge and placed on modified duty. Internal-affairs detectives then spent "months and months" secretly recording other cops discussing ticket fixing, said one source.
    Sources familiar with the probe described how the system worked.
    If a person got a summons and knew a cop who was willing to help, the officer would typically reach out to one of the known ticket-fixers in the precinct where the summons was issued.
    The fixers, many of them union delegates, could get access to copies of the summons paperwork and grab them, or ask others to do so, before the tickets were sent out to adjudicating agencies like DMV or the Parking Violations Bureau.
    "It generally takes a day or two" for the precinct to send out the paperwork, the source said, and during that time, the ticket copies could be trashed without drawing much attention, particularly during overnight shifts.
    In other cases, a fixer could simply change a digit or number for the driver's license plate -- rendering the parking ticket invalid, since the plate would not match the registration.
    For speeding tickets or other moving violations, another method involved the ticketing officer agreeing not to show up in court. But that approach is riskier for the cop, said one source.
    "Generally, if you miss court, that stands out, and they'll take time from you. And it raises up the severity of what you're doing."
    The NYPD denied that the probe involved 400 cops, but declined to say what the number was.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...#ixzz1JoXw6YIK

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...Sn2pazk6TypEdO

I never understood why LEO hopefuls post negative articles about LEOs. Just one more link to pop up when people go to google this stuff.

Not against you leo2010, or even leo-hopefuls cause a lot of cops do it too. I do my best to hide these articles that make us look bad from people, not advertise them.
    Last edited by options open; 04-17-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by options open View Post
      I never understood why LEO hopefuls post negative articles about LEOs. Just one more link to pop up when people go to google this stuff.
      It's just great way to increase the post counts.

Comment

I'm with you options. The media does a good enough job on its own of twisting everything around to make us look bad...

Comment

I don't think that's the point. LEOs are human and nobody wants their dirty laundry shown, but they gotta show people that they're against this stuff too. Prove the Blue Wall or whatever wrong. Otherwise without hearing condemnations people are gonna assume all cops agree with it.

Comment

Im not against doing anything, as long it wasnt pressured or a benefit was given/recieved to do it. I wonder if mighty chief campisi will get in trouble too for fixing a ticket not too long ago.
            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

If it will make you feel better, this kind of thing probably happens throughout the court system in New York. In 1975, the hearing officer dismissed a parking ticket when he learned that I was a law student working on Wall Street for the summer.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Do cops have to show up to court dates for tickets etc etc?

Comment

Originally posted by SulaymanF View Post
                  I don't think that's the point. LEOs are human and nobody wants their dirty laundry shown, but they gotta show people that they're against this stuff too. Prove the Blue Wall or whatever wrong. Otherwise without hearing condemnations people are gonna assume all cops agree with it.
                  There's nothing wrong with fixing a ticket as long as there's no benefit offered. It's merely another form of discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinkster View Post
                    There's nothing wrong with fixing a ticket as long as there's no benefit offered. It's merely another form of discretion.
                    If a judge asked another judge to dismiss a ticket for a friend, would you think of that as "merely another form of discretion"? Judges get censured and lose their jobs for doing that.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...c-tickets.html
                    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

That's a different issue. We're talking about the original officer who issued the summons deciding he'd rather not go through with it. The LE community is a very tight one because we take care of our own. This is a thankless job and we should be allowed our own little perks just like anyone else as long as it doesn't harm others. The public may not like it but then they don't like us regardless and that will never change. Everyone knows since summons were first issued eons ago that some would get "taken care of". Why this is all of a sudden a big issue is beyond me...

Comment

The proble is some people were gaining a benefit to fixing it. Such as cash and other amenities.
                        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinkster View Post
                          That's a different issue. We're talking about the original officer who issued the summons deciding he'd rather not go through with it. The LE community is a very tight one because we take care of our own. This is a thankless job and we should be allowed our own little perks just like anyone else as long as it doesn't harm others. The public may not like it but then they don't like us regardless and that will never change. Everyone knows since summons were first issued eons ago that some would get "taken care of". Why this is all of a sudden a big issue is beyond me...
                          +1...sounds like someone ****ed someone off or they have WAYY too much time on their hands.

I understand investigating the drugs but you are going to put (I'm sure) good, hard-working cops up on criminal charges for something that has been going on forever? I think it would hurt the city more to pay for the investigation, pay for prosecuting 400 cops and then what replacing them..or not?

I (as the public) never had a ticket fixed nor did I ask because frankly...I just don't get them (anymore), however, I totally understand helping out family and friends. Taking actual payments of course wasn't too bright but other things..eh. Isn't that the old saying "one hand washes the other".

World_So_Cold

Comment

Originally posted by NYRangers718
                            So if I take my car to my uncle's/cousins/brothers mechanic...and he gives me a break on my bill that he didn't to the guy before me, and I buy him a bottle of *Fill in your drink of choice here* as a way to say thank you, should he be brought up on criminal charges?
                            Your uncle would be a private business owner and can do what he wishes with his business since he has no obligation to anyone other than himself. The police serve the public/government and do not own the department nor do they own the tickets they give out. If you take care of a family members or friends ticket and then take a gift from them it can be easily seen as bribery. That would be no better than taking cash from the people you stop and in exchange you let them go. I understand some people may want to say thank you and give a gift but, no matter what the intent is, to outsiders or investigators it looks like they bribed you.

Comment

If these cops take the hit, I pray they also go after the upper management levels who do favors for celebrities and other well knowns. And go after those people for bribing a public official.

If one takes a hit, they all should go down.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5482 users online. 318 members and 5164 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X