300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concealed carry by LEO at NYC landmarks

I tried a search as I felt like this topic must have been covered a hundred times but could not find anything. I'll be traveling to NYC for the first time in May and plan to bring my off-duty weapon. Will I run into any difficulty at places like the Empire State Building or Ellis Island? Here in Chicago, I've never been turned away at a tourist spot, but we were also not targeted on 9/11 so I'm not sure how strict things are.
    "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are not a problem. The Fed Park Police and Rangers are great. Before getting your tickets find one of them and advise them of your status and they will take care of you. The Empire State Building is another story. They have tighened down on even off duty or retired NYPD, you might call ahead to see if they can lock it up for you. The security managers are or have usually been retired NYPD or other LE. Most other places won't ask, so don't tell or advertise. Concealed means concealed. Being that NYC is so restirctive when it comes to firearm ownership there isn't any attention, like signage, to prohibit weapons. You more or less only find it at the airports, courthouses and the Post & social security offices.

Just make sure your Creds are up to date. The NYPD issued an "Intrim Order" after they got blasted by a judge for collaring a PA Constable a few years ago. For the first time since LEOSA passage, the dept had to recognise "on Paper" HR 218/LEOSA. It basicly states if you are stopped for the carrying and ID can't (for whatever reason) be established at the scene, you will be asked to go to the stationhouse to verify your status. Good Luck and Enjoy!
    Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

The empire state building has that specific question in the FAQ:

http://www.esbnyc.com/faq.asp

I am an out of town police officer and will be carrying my handgun with me when I visit New York City. Can I carry it inside the Empire State Building?

The Empire State Building does not permit anyone who does not have police officer status in New York State to carry a firearm in the building.
      Exam 0321 08/09
      Done with everything

GOT THE CALL - 7/8/12
      July 2012 Academy

Comment

Took my daughter up to the top of the Empire State Bldg. about a year ago - I was carrying and it wasn't a problem. Granted I am from NY, but I don't recall having to identify myself...

Comment

If you run into any problems you can secure your firearm in any of NYPDs stationhouses. They will give you a voucher for your weapon and you can pick it up at anytime.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by secondchance1 View Post
            Took my daughter up to the top of the Empire State Bldg. about a year ago - I was carrying and it wasn't a problem. Granted I am from NY, but I don't recall having to identify myself...
            It's usually hit or miss there.
            We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

To all NYS PO's. If you are off duty I would check with ESB security prior to your visit. They might have gone back to the "only NYS PO" policy, but as I recall...after the last shooting a few years back they tightened the restriction to on duty. The FAQ appears they went back to the old policy. Check before ya go.

Comment

US Park Police Ellis Island, is only allowing Agents/Officers on Official Business to carry weapons, No off duty carry is permitted. They did provide a location to lockup your weapon prior to departing to the island. Anybody with similar experience?
                "From now on, you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be 'Sir".

Comment

How about out of state (PA) LE visiting the Fingerlakes- Onondaga County?

Comment

Originally posted by univtacguy View Post
                    How about out of state (PA) LE visiting the Fingerlakes- Onondaga County?
                    If you are active with ID or retired with ID and proof of qualification you are good to carry concealed. Enjoy your visit.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5335 users online. 333 members and 5002 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X