300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSA agents at GCT subway entrance?!

First time I've seen this. 0800 this morning there were 3 agents manning the NYPD bag checkpoint outside the Lex line booth w.bomb scanners. Interesting....
    Last edited by DeputyDuc; 04-04-2011, 10:01 AM.

I can't see how they can have any jurisdiction. They are city subways.
    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
      I can't see how they can have any jurisdiction. They are city subways.
      Transporation
      Security
      Adminstration

I would suspect that TSA is saying they are in charge of all Transporation Security.....and not just the Airports...... If you look at some of the positions they are hring....one can only come to that conclusion......

Comment

I can see it if they are working Amtrak - interstate, or Greyhound buses, but not a city subway that never leaves a city limit. They can only carry "Transportation Security" so far in terms of where they work. Are they going to screen me before I get into my car? That's transportation too.

Besides, they should perfect airport security before they try to expand their horizons.
        I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
          Besides, they should perfect airport security before they try to expand their horizons.
          Not arguing with you there.....

I do know that VIPER Teams have been used at the Subway System in Cleveland (and elsewhere for that matter)....I know of at least 10 FAMS that were ****ed off because they were losing a ton of money (per diem) for sitting there with the local police with their thumbs up their asses on a 4th of July.....

I personally think they need to smack the higher ups with TSA and get them to focus on screening pax's and let the local police and Airport Police do their jobs and stay the hell out of it......

Comment

They do joint operations with local departments with the bomb screening.

All parties must and have agreed to this procedure.

This is not something that was just made up one day, the city, MTA, NYPD and TSA decided this was a good step forward.

They have been doing this for aproximately 2 years now, so this is nothing new.
            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

It is essentially a "test" program with the nypd and it has been successful for the past two years....apparently there are positive feedbacks coming from lieutenants and others at various participating departments and if all goes well tsa will try to expand fully into the subway system whether its amtrak or regular mta lines...I tried joining the team but they wanted full timers only...looks good on resume as you are volunteering to these programs..
              NYPD Exam # 6093
              List #: 15xx
              Medical: Jan 6th 2010 (Passed)
              Mini Medical: Jan 6th 2010 (not sure yet)
              Meet with BI: ???
              Written psychological: Jan 12th 2010
              Oral psychological: Jan 14th 2010
              JST: Jan 11th 2010 (passed 2:39)

Comment

Right now bag searches are done on a non-random, random basis. Which of course negates any actual positive anti-terror effect. I want to be there the day any agency tries to screen every person trying to enter a subway station. Riot would be a mild description.
                Last edited by Dinosaur32; 04-05-2011, 10:08 PM.

Comment

The problem I have, at the airports or anywhere front-line defense security is done, screening is definantly not how it is SUPPOSE to be. No real behavior identifiers, no real criminal thwarting, no serious "lets check that guy" out attitude for the fear of being called a racist/biggot, religious hater, whatever you wish.
                  Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

On the money, NYCTNT, after 9/11 we stationed an officer at the entrance to our courthouse to single out anyone who looked suspicious (clothing wrong for season, etc). The civilian bosses went ballistic, but when given the choice of large number of injuries or stronger searches, they backed off. Searching every sixth or tenth person without regard to other factors is just blowing smoke up the public's a55.
                    Last edited by Dinosaur32; 04-05-2011, 10:09 PM.

Comment

TSA has been present at Border Patrol Checkpoints before. Strictly there to observe and get good training experience. Nothing wrong with allowing another agency to get some real-world training.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                        The problem I have, at the airports or anywhere front-line defense security is done, screening is definantly not how it is SUPPOSE to be. No real behavior identifiers, no real criminal thwarting, no serious "lets check that guy" out attitude for the fear of being called a racist/biggot, religious hater, whatever you wish.
                        Agreed! Should be just like a "stop and frisk" where only reasonable suspicion is needed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6395 users online. 368 members and 6027 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X