300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Officer Layoffs

I have some sad news to report. Thanks to an extra 70 million that was cut from the judiciary by the governor, OCA has been forced into layoffs. There will be over 500+ statewide of non judicial employees The uniformed force makes up 25% of all non judicial employees. We were assured that officers would be the last to be laid off, however it is nearly certain (and I hope to GOD im wrong) that officers will be laid off. Large portions of overtime have been eliminated, vacant lines will remain vacant or eliminated, rollbacks will ensue including rolling back of recent promotions (ie LT back to SGT). There hasn't been a firm number set yet...we'll know by May 1 however there are 190 officers on probation (myself included) so any number of us could go. I wanted to pass this along to all the unborn's who got their academy canceled, or are going through the process. Its going to be a long wait. I'm hoping that the layoffs will be temporary as they put some kind of buyout package together, however that is pure speculation on my part. This has happened before in the early 1990's, and all officers laid off were offered to come back within two years. Its pretty devastating news for a lot of families (mine included) and i think it really hurts the job a lot of us still care about, and want to see grow. We have a special response team, mobile command center, msp patrol units, the academy training is police training, etc. This job has come a long way and we have earned respect from other depts yet who knows whether those units will survive. Lastly (and i apologize for this mini informational rant lol) I am concerned about the safety of my brother and sister officers. There have been those who have said the only way things will improve is if something happens, someone gets hurt, etc. While I know this can be true, I fear for the officers who already have their backs against the wall in understaffed commands, let alone those who still haven't been issued Baton/OC/VEST. Stay safe and remember your training. There is no more kool-aid...its been cut from the budget.

Anyone looking to hire a laid off LEO?

Link to NYS Court officers thread:
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...23#post2702923
    Last edited by unblindeacon; 04-02-2011, 07:27 AM.
    http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
    NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

I pray this doesn't happen! I was on the job the last time this happened (1991) . Some newly hired officers got laid off, including a good friend of mine. What the chief judge did was close down all the civil parts.- No judgements got entered, the big shot lawyers didn't get paid and started screaming bloody murder. Bottom line was everybody who got laid off was back within 6 months, including my friend who passed the time by collecting unemployment and taking clarinet lessons. Hopefully, they'll do another incentive instead of resorting to layoffs.
    Last edited by soon2retire; 04-02-2011, 07:48 AM.
    RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

I hope your right Soon2retire...The unions are making provisions to either partly or totally cover medical insurance for the laid off, so at least theres that. We were told we'd have 20 days notice to a layoff, but it looks inevitable.....i dont think JS, let alone DQ have any rabbits left in their hat.

Comment

Actually there are about 270 officers statewide that are on probation. We were told they would be laying off in units ie judicial districts - which means you could have a year plus on the job and get laid off while someone in another JD could have a less seniority and keep their job -- doesn't seem right but it's civil service law apparently.
        Last edited by NYS_CO; 04-02-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Good luck guys, I hope it all works out and if god forbid the lay offs do happen you're brought back quickly.

Originally posted by unblindeacon View Post
          Anyone looking to hire a laid off LEO?
          I know you guys are peace officers, so how does that work? Would you guys have to find another peace officer gig to transfer/apply to or is there like a bridge course to get a police officer training certificate you could go out of state with?

Comment

Originally posted by NYS_CO View Post
            Actually there are about 270 officers statewide that are on probation. We were told they would be laying off in units ie judicial districts - which means you could have a year plus on the job and get laid off while someone in another JD could have a less seniority and keep their job -- doesn't seem right but it's civil service law apparently.
            I was calculating 190 from the last upstate and last nyc class...the number is more like 140 in nyc, but thats a story for another day..

Comment

Originally posted by options open View Post
              Good luck guys, I hope it all works out and if god forbid the lay offs do happen you're brought back quickly.

I know you guys are peace officers, so how does that work? Would you guys have to find another peace officer gig to transfer/apply to or is there like a bridge course to get a police officer training certificate you could go out of state with?
              I dont really know...we get more training than some police depts (490hr academy +410hr ftu =910 hrs...ie.. Tennessee POST is 400hrs)...as far as I know we'd start from the beginning just like any other recruit.

Comment

Sorry to hear guys, wish you the best.

Comment

just read the info on a google search of * CSEA JUDICIARY NEWS.
                  Officer layoffs will be effective June 1
                  People who were recently promoted and are on probation have a difficult choice to make - they could voluntarily demote back to their previous title and command, but would not be on the preferred list to be re-hired and their list may expire before they could get made again, or they can wait to be rolled back and be on the preferred list but could be sent almost anyplace until then.
                  I am sorry to see it come to this.
                  Layoff Update

(April 13, 2011)*

The Unified Court System (UCS) has formally notified court employee unions, including CSEA, of its intent to lay off approximately 400-500 employees, with the possibility of thousands of other employees being displaced. OCA offices will be laying off 50-70 employees (as part of that total number). UCS asserts that these layoffs are made necessary by a budget cut of $70 million in UCS's proposed budget for this fiscal year. All of the unions representing court employees met with UCS on Monday, April 11th in New York City. At this point, UCS has not yet determined what positions will be abolished, much less which employees will be affected.*

A number of our members have asked CSEA to negotiate some agreement with UCS whereby all members would agree to a furlough or a lag payroll as a way to make the layoffs unnecessary. In our judgment, that is not possible. UCS has indicated that it would not consider either a lag or furlough unless all eleven unions agreed to it and nine of the unions have already vetoed the idea. Therefore, we are unable even to entertain the idea of either option.*

It is important to note that CSEA is not implementing layoffs. It is being done by the Unified Court System and it is up to that system to answer employee questions and explain the process to affected employees. CSEA Local representatives are available to double check responses from management if a member has any questions. Employee inquiries should first be directed to their personnel office or other appropriate management operation for such information.*

CSEA Local Presidents met today in Albany to review the legal procedures concerning the layoff process and methods of displacement. Until UCS publishes their plan of implementing layoffs, we do not have all the specifics, but we can provide the following tentative timeline:*

OCA Employee (Administrative Offices) Layoffs*
                  4/15 - OCA Employees Seniority List generated*
                  4/15-4/19 - Identification of OCA employees to be laid off*
                  4/20 - Layoff Notices delivered to OCA employees, effective 5/4*

All Other Layoffs in UCS*
                  4/15-4/27 - UCS will generate a seniority list*
                  4/18 - UCS will distribute Location Preference forms*
                  4/22 - Veteran's/Volunteer Firefighter credit form must be returned and verified by this date*
                  4/27 - Location Preference forms must be returned to UCS*
                  5/17 - The list of all affected employees will be completed by close of business on this date*
                  5/18 - Notice will be given to affected employees, effective end of business 6/1/11.*

CSEA will continue to monitor the situation and update the membership through the Local Presidents and the web site.
                  Last edited by NYS_CO; 04-14-2011, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Good friend of mine is a Court Officer and the only income earner so I hope that he survives this one. I hope all of you don't get affected. Cut down the payment to Medicaid, food stamps and other entitlement programs and use that money to save jobs for people who are working.

Comment

M1-

You didn't major in economics in college I'm guessing?

I wish all the best to all the UCS employees.

Comment

Originally posted by bxhousing View Post
                        M1-

You didn't major in economics in college I'm guessing?
                        Nope, that wasn't my major in college, but I guess you have majored in Economics. I did however have taken economics in grad school and did stay at the Holiday Inn, so I guess I'm knowlegeable enough to discuss about it.

Comment

Heres the latest article in the law journal :http://www.law.com/jsp/nylj/PubArtic...=1&hbxlogin=1#

My favorite part is about how the Local court administrators were also directed to eliminate the job titles of workers involved directly in court operations in an even-handed way between union and non-union employees and between full-time and part-time workers. Like somehow the importance of an officer is equal to a law secretary...oh wait they aren't even being considered in the layoff plan! plus 1740 UCS employees are getting their deferred raise check ($16,329) and increasing their salary ($136,329) only about $500 less than a judge.

Looks like if I don't get laid off I will get bumped...thats fine by me...as long as Im working...Anyone know of any good LE jobs hiring in case ?

Comment

Looks like if I don't get laid off I will get bumped...thats fine by me...as long as Im working...Anyone know of any good LE jobs hiring in case ?
                            Sorry to hear that bro. Suffolk County PD on Long Island is administering their entrance exam in June. I sure hope you signed up. There are a few other departments Upstate NY that are administering exams as well. I'm not sure if you guys are eligible for lateral as you have Peace Officer status but you should take as many of the entrance exams as you can and maybe look and see about a regional (out of state) lateral transfer.

Comment

Good luck to you. Sure hope you make out ok!
                              Heres the latest article in the law journal :http://www.law.com/jsp/nylj/PubArtic...=1&hbxlogin=1#

My favorite part is about how the Local court administrators were also directed to eliminate the job titles of workers involved directly in court operations in an even-handed way between union and non-union employees and between full-time and part-time workers. Like somehow the importance of an officer is equal to a law secretary...oh wait they aren't even being considered in the layoff plan! plus 1740 UCS employees are getting their deferred raise check ($16,329) and increasing their salary ($136,329) only about $500 less than a judge.

RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6140 users online. 318 members and 5822 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X