Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handgun carry in vehicle

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is legal to carry a pistol in NYS either loaded or unloaded in my glove box while in my car. I tried researching it, but the law I found was "A loaded handgun may be carried in a vehicle by a properly licensed individual".
    My only concern is the definition of "carried" if that means physically on your person or just in your general possession (i.e., glove box).

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
    Ok, a wide range of answers so please let me clarify:
    I have a NYS pistol permit to carry concealed with no restrictions, and do not plan on traveling in or through New York City, just the rest of New York State. I'm pretty sure I am allowed to wear it concealed on my hip/ankle while I am driving, just as I would when walking around town. My question is if I wanted to toss my licensed pistol in the glove box after I got in the car, and take it with me when I leave my car would I legally be allowed to do so?
    Last edited by Schnuffs; 03-28-2011, 03:24 PM.

If I find a handgun in your glove box and the bullets are anywhere near (or in) it and you are not a cop, co, or person licensed to carry that weapon you are coming with me.

Comment

You will absolutely be in violation of the law if the pistol is loaded and in your glovebox, or anywhere else in your vehicle, as I understand it.

I would highly advise against traveling with a pistol in your vehicle unless it is unloaded and in a locked carrying case, and out of reach (ie, in the trunk). Any ammunition should be in a separate locked container.

In answer to your question, I would assume the definition of "carried" includes anywhere in the vehicle that is easily accessible to the driver, and not only "on your person."

Additional restrictions apply in some jurisdictions, like NYC.

I view NY much like MD and NJ...I'll be traveling through both later this week and am leaving all weapons at home.

Comment

A NYS permit is not valid within the confines of NYC. Why? I dont know. Would I PERSONALLY arrest you for it, NO WAY. Whats the difference? Your licensed either way. BUT there are plenty of cops who will arrest you for it.

The gun(pistol) must be unloaded and put into a locked box in your trunk, and the ammo must be in a different box. You must be in a continuous journey through NYC without stops.

Shotguns must be registered in 48 Hours I believe or it is a simple violation(summons and forfieture of shotgun until you get a permit).
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

You appear to be in NY. As noted, unless you have a valid permit, you can't have it in your car. You can't even possess a pistol (legally) in NY in your home w.out having a pistol permit. We won't get into the administrative restrictions placed upon counties' permit holders - search and you'll find plenty discussion. Or go to usacarry.org NY section.

Comment

For NYC home/target permit holder you can only transport it to and from the range in a lock container separate from ammo as previously mentioned within the 5 boros. You are allowed to legally to transport within the state of NY in a locked case if you have a Hunting Authorization card issued by 1PP along with your permit. The card allows you carry also allows you to carry a loaded firearm on person ONLY WHILE AFIELD ACTIVELY ENGAGED IN LAWFUL HUNTING as authorized per NYS Fish & Wildlife. Otherwise you cannot legally take your NYC licensed pistol outside the city without the card.

So depending on the NYS county that issues you the permit, if it is a "carry permit" you can carry it on you body (except NYC unless you have permission) . Any other version of a permit (i.e. home, business, sportsman, target, etc), it must be in a locked container (no glove box) in the trunk unless otherwise noted by the issuing county.
            Last edited by azonicdh; 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM.
            Exam 0321 08/09
            Done with everything

GOT THE CALL - 7/8/12
            July 2012 Academy

Comment

I have a NYS pistol permit to carry concealed with no restrictions, and do not plan on traveling in or through New York City, just the rest of New York State. I'm pretty sure I am allowed to wear it concealed on my hip/ankle while I am driving, just as I would when walking around town. My question is if I wanted to toss my licensed pistol in the glove box after I got in the car, and take it with me when I leave my car would I legally be allowed to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by Schnuffs View Post
                Shouldn't you have asked these questions when you applied for your permit? You stated you are "pretty sure I am allowed to wear it concealed on my hip or anle...." Did you actually get a permit? You should not be carrying a weapon if you are only "pretty sure" on how to carry it. To ask these questions on an anonymous forum seems a little suspect. I would suggest you contact the agency that issued your permit and clarify it with them.
                Last edited by Sled; 03-28-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Clarifying in your OP that you have a permit would have been helpful

If you have a permit, shouldn't you be well versed in the laws concerning carrying a concealed loaded firearm? There isn't a single law, provision or restriction concerning VA state law as it pertains to the possession of a loaded weapon that I am not aware of.

There's an old saying that goes, "C.Y.A."

Comment

To the OP, since you have a NYS permit with full carry priviliges, you can carry it on your persons or glovebox, as long as you have a permit, you won't violate NYS Penal Law. Now, if you stop at a WaWa and leave your firearm loaded and unsafeguarded in your glove box, you can run into trouble with the licensing agency regarding rules for safeguarding firearms. But the other posters suggest calling the issuing agency, sounds like good advice. Good Luck.

To add: Please find out if you must notify an officer at a car stop that you are in possession, something to think about if you pop open your glovebox for your registration and the officer sees your firearm.
                    Last edited by rick900; 03-28-2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5099 users online. 174 members and 4925 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X