300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residency Question

Hey guys, I have a question pertaining to the NYPD residency and im hoping you guys can help me out with it. Alright, first off im from NJ and my exam # is 7043 and my BI told me yesterday that I have a good chance of going in April. I have gotten an apt in staten island and im wondering just how strict is the NYPD about going back and forth visiting family and friends outside of NYC.

The reason I ask is because my GF is pregnant and most likely will not be joining me in my new apt until maybe the summer, so i would like to still try and see her in NJ whenever I can. Will the NYPD say anything about that? Ive heard stories about them tracking Ezpass and what not, as well as doing residency checks, but will they be ok with me going back and forth? In all honesty I have a legit apt and im paying monthly for it, so i dont understand why they wouldnt allow me to do that, but i have been told to be cautious about that. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know what exam number they are going up to for april? My best friends exam number is 8101 and im not sure if they are up there yet and hes wondering if he would be considered for April or July.
    Last edited by NYPDxJx; 03-30-2011, 02:46 AM.
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."
    Moliere

Originally posted by NYPDxJx View Post
    Hey guys, I have a question pertaining to the NYPD residency and im hoping you guys can help me out with it. Alright, first off im from NJ and my exam # is 7043 and my BI told me yesterday that I have a good chance of going in April. I have gotten an apt in staten island and im wondering just how strict is the NYPD about going back and forth visiting family and friends outside of NYC.

The reason I ask is because my GF is pregnant and most likely will not be joining me in my new apt until maybe the summer, so im going to still try and see her in NJ almost every day that I can. Will the NYPD say anything about that? Ive heard stories about them tracking Ezpass and what not, as well as doing residency checks, but will they be ok with me going back and forth all the time? In all honesty I have a legit apt and im paying monthly for it, so i dont understand why they wouldnt allow me to do that, but i have been told to be cautious about that. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know what exam number they are going up to for april? My best friends exam number is 8101 and im not sure if they are up there yet and hes wondering if he would be considered for April or July.
    RDO is your time you can go to Jersey. But if ever called to report you better.
    NYPD
    Exam# 8316 12/2008

Ready for Hire!!

January 2012 - "Last of the mohicans"...... Just missed the July 2011 class.

Comment

"In all honesty I have a legit apt and im paying monthly for it, so i dont understand why they wouldnt allow me to do that,"

Having a legit apt and paying rent does not, in itself, make that your residence. The residency requirement refers to the residence that you normally stay in on a regular basis.
      I am not going to slit hairs, but, you put down a residence and you say you live there, but if you investigator goes to your neighbors and they say they have no idea who you are, this may cause a problem. Besides E-Z pass, there are other ways of getting jammed up. I know of three persons who got jammed up on residency issues and all three were turned in following disputes. One was a dispute with his girlfriend and then she made a call, and the others were disputes with neighbors who then made a call. You can say that you will never tell your neighbors what you do, but, eventually they will usually find out.

You should also realize that you are on probation for 2 years. This will cause a problem even if you are not on probation, so why go there.
      You have a decision to make- Do you really want the job, and how much are you willing to risk for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sled View Post
        "In all honesty I have a legit apt and im paying monthly for it, so i dont understand why they wouldnt allow me to do that,"

Having a legit apt and paying rent does not, in itself, make that your residence. The residency requirement refers to the residence that you normally stay in on a regular basis.
        I am not going to slit hairs, but, you put down a residence and you say you live there, but if you investigator goes to your neighbors and they say they have no idea who you are, this may cause a problem. Besides E-Z pass, there are other ways of getting jammed up. I know of three persons who got jammed up on residency issues and all three were turned in following disputes. One was a dispute with his girlfriend and then she made a call, and the others were disputes with neighbors who then made a call. You can say that you will never tell your neighbors what you do, but, eventually they will usually find out.

You should also realize that you are on probation for 2 years. This will cause a problem even if you are not on probation, so why go there.
        You have a decision to make- Do you really want the job, and how much are you willing to risk for it?
        I understand your point of view, but are they really that strict about me going back and forth to NJ on my days off or after the academy? If so, i just want to know why going back and forth like that would be a problem for the Dept.
        Moliere

Comment

I understand your point of view, but are they really that strict about me going back and forth to NJ on my days off or after the academy? If so, i just want to know why going back and forth like that would be a problem for the Dept.
          Yes, they are that strict. If you travel to jersey on your rdo no big deal. If you travel to jersey and stay there 4 times a week, then its a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by options open View Post
            Yes, they are that strict. If you travel to jersey on your rdo no big deal. If you travel to jersey and stay there 4 times a week, then its a problem.
            But my question is WHY is it a problem though? Im not trying to be a d*** about this at all, this is all new to me and im just wondering why is it a problem if im legitimately paying for an apt in NYC and have the residence like they want.
            Moliere

Comment

But my question is WHY is it a problem though? Im not trying to be a d*** about this at all, this is all new to me and im just wondering why is it a problem if im legitimately paying for an apt in NYC and have the residence like they want.
              Have you obtained a NYS Driver License...if not, you have not established residency. Beyond that, if you visit on your days off, no harm no foul. If you are staying in the Garden State and using the apt, paying or not, as an end around the requirement "fore warned is fore told!"

Comment

Originally posted by NYPD Ret View Post
                Have you obtained a NYS Driver License...if not, you have not established residency. Beyond that, if you visit on your days off, no harm no foul. If you are staying in the Garden State and using the apt, paying or not, as an end around the requirement "fore warned is fore told!"
                Im going monday for my NYS Drivers license. And I dont plan on staying in NJ everynight or anything like that, but I would like to visit and stay every now and then.
                Moliere

Comment

Because you have to live in NY. For whatever reason, thats the requirement (it could be because they want you close in case of an emergency, if bridges/tunnels are closed you can still come to work, they want to give NY residents the jobs etc). Like they said just because you have an apartment doesn't make it your residence. Feel free to risk it, but think of the soon to be new born and how much worse it will be when you get caught.

Comment

The reason I ask is because my GF is pregnant and most likely will not be joining me in my new apt until maybe the summer, so im going to still try and see her in NJ almost every day that I can. W.
                    Every now and then is fine, every day is different.

People get jammed up for it all the time, and they don't have recruit discipline actually looking into all of these things like you will while in the academy.

Comment

NYPDxJx wrote;
                      "But my question is WHY is it a problem though?"

It is a problem because that is the rule. That is why. It is a condition of employment. It is their sandbox, they make the rules.

There are plenty of people that want the job and will comply with the rules. You are not even on the job yet and it appears you may be having some sort of block grasping this concept. If you are, you will have a difficult time for the next 22 years.

If you are comfortable with having an apartment in NY and calling it your residence but spending most of your time in NJ, then fine, go for it. I know of at least two people that lived outside of the residence counties for at least eight years that did not get caught. It depends on how you want to live your life.
                      In the end, the decision is yours, as are the consequences.
                      Last edited by Sled; 03-26-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

The residence in NY needs to be your primary residence, you need to spend more time in it then you would in NJ.

Comment

spend 3 days 23hrs 59 secs in nyc, then 3 days 1hr

when leaving nj leave 3 hrs ahead of schedule. j/k
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------

dude dont try and cheat the system. abide by the rules
                          NYPD Exam was # 8050 THE LAST OF AVENGERS

former nypd cadet many moons ago

Been OTJ

Comment

When you're on your time off, that should be your time, to do whatever you want.

Comment

This guy should not even be a cop. No common sense, no willingness to follow rules. Just another rebel in the system. No offense, dont take it personal, take it as real critisism. That is what you come off to be.

If you have common sense, anything can be done to your favor(legally). No reason to come to an open forum and ask a way on how to scam residency in a subliminal way.

ITS THE RULES. It use to be just for NYC residence, your lucky they even added those other counties.

If you dont want to be held with residency requirments, there are plenty of agencies in PA hiring with no residency.

During the course of her pregnancy, why can she not move into NYC with you? I mean, not for nothing but that will HAVE to EVENTUALLY HAPPEN. Why not make the move now?

Your reasoning for the official move is contradictory at best.
                              Last edited by NYCTNT; 03-27-2011, 07:32 PM.
                              Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6353 users online. 347 members and 6006 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X