300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good news for those waiting on the NYPD

Was reading this in the morning post, thought i'd post it here.
    My exam is 8132....do you think I'd get processed soon?

NYPD cop count sinking to 34,000

Hammered by budget cuts, the NYPD will field its smallest force by the middle of next year than at any time since 1992 -- raising fears that, with fewer cops on the beat, a resurgence of crime could return to the city.

The city's Independent Budget Office projected yesterday that by June 30, 2012, the Police Department will have shrunk to 34,413 uniformed personnel, a record low since the 34,825 that were on the force on that same date 20 years ago when crime rates in the city were near epic highs.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said its own projection is actually lower -- 34,060.

"Crime statistics show there is a breaking point, and we're at it," declared City Councilman Peter Vallone Jr., chairman of the council's Public Safety Committee. "We can't absorb any more public safety cuts."

The Queens Democrat described the latest figures as worrisome. Vallone said that when he goes to community meetings these days, people complain that they no longer see police on the beat or on bicycles.

"If every community has noticed that, you can be sure the criminals have noticed," he argued.

NYPD manpower typically increases every July 1, the start of the fiscal year, when new recruits come on the job.

But this week, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly raised doubts whether he'd be able to maintain the schedule this year because of a new round of citywide budget cuts that will require the NYPD to come up with an extra $101.4 million in savings from its $4.5 billion budget.

The force is supposed to reach 35,367 on July 1, 2012.

But that depends on Kelly being able to hire 540 recruits next month, 900 in July and 630 in January.

Adding to the uncertainty are plans to cut 350 civilian positions to save $30 million in 2012. The IBO said that would likely impact patrol strength.

"The Police Department acknowledged in September 2010 that there were already 621 'full-duty' police officers performing tasks that could instead be performed by less costly civilian personnel," the IBO noted.

Spokesman Browne pointed out that the NYPD has managed to drive down crime and keep murders under 600 since 2002 despite operating with nearly 6,000 fewer officers than at the peak of 40,800 in 2001.

One analyst said the NYPD's impressive success actually works against it at budget time, since "it's not really clear what the decrease in size means in terms of public safety."

The IBO further reported the Fire Department will have 10,282 uniformed personnel on June 30, 2012, down from 10,911 this year, and the lowest level since at least 1980, when the IBO first started tracking the numbers.

But that reduction in firefighters will happen only if Mayor Bloomberg follows through with a controversial plan to shut 20 engine companies to save $41 million.

Who ya gonna call?

Looming budget cuts could put the number of city cops at their lowest level since 1992, and mean drastic FDNY company closures, as well.

* Only 34,413 cops on the payroll in 2012 — lowest projected total in 20 years (40,800 in 2001).

* 10,282 firefighters in 2012 — lowest projected total in 30 years (11,374 in 1980).

* Cuts would force the closure of 20 fire companies citywide.

[email protected]

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/n...#ixzz1H33Djx4x
    “I'm glad to hear that the Chief (of Police) is a personal friend of yours. So you know someone who can post your bail.”

What's so good about this news?

Comment

Old news. The city's known for a while that the NYPD's been shrinking and shrinking with no signs of stopping. These days, I have more confidence in seeing my exam expiration date come and go then actually hearing anything about it related to hiring...I've moved on to the feds' hiring process. I'm more concerned about what this is going to do to our streets and my walking around on them then anything else.
      DEA SA 1811 Application:
      Applied: February '10
      COE GS-9: June '10
      Submitted SF-86: June '10
      Passed Phase I Testing: October '10
      Passed Panel Interview: December '10
      Passed Medical: December '10
      Passed PTT: March '11
      Written Psych: (scheduled) March '11

NYPD Exam 8051:
      Exam Date: February '09
      Received List # (95+5=100): June '09
      Rest of the process: ?

Comment

This doesn't affect those who actually make the decision. Mike and Kelly have their own security details and live in areas that will always have adequate staffing, so they could give a rats ***.

Comment

The only thing here that is positive as far as hiring is that so many people are noticing crime going up and less cops around and vallone is backing us up. But the head count for the nypd is already at a low of 35000 and now Kelly seems to think by July next year there will be a low of 34000. So basically all this article is saying is that guys will retire and will not be replaced and unfortunately bloomberg is such a scum bag and it isn't an election year so he really couldn't give a sh** what the citizens think about him or this situation with crime
          Exam-8050 List 1**
          Med- 12/23/09 Pass
          JST- 12/28/09 pass (2x passed)
          Written psych- 1/04/10 pass
          Oral psych- 1/11/10 pass
          Min Med- 6/02/11
          Academy-Come on July

got the call...7/3/2011, 6:30pm

Comment

A ballsy commissioner would start by reassigning his and the mayors security details.

Start packin heat and pay for your own detail. Pretty sure they can afford it.
            NYPD
            Exam Taken 10/31/09
            Exam: #0308 Score:91.XXX%
            List Number: 5xx

PPB
            Exam: Passed
            PAT: Passed
            Oral Board: Passed
            Background Investigation: Ongoing

Massachusetts Civil Service
            Exam: 4/30 Awaiting Results

NPD CSO Summer 2011.

Comment

Wow I'd hate to see what u consider bad news
              Makin the switch
              8307 1xx

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6607 users online. 345 members and 6262 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X