X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Proposes Charging Marathon For Security To Generate Funds

Maybe some of you will be interested.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...generate-funds

The New York City Marathon may generate millions of dollars in economic activity for the city, but according to Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, it also costs about $3 million in police resources. On Tuesday, the commissioner defended at a City Council hearing a proposal to begin charging organizers for police expenses.

“It costs us a lot of money. It’s also on our most expensive day, a Sunday. So virtually every officer that’s assigned is on overtime, so it’s a heavy lift for the department,” said Kelly.

The fee would apply to all non-charitable sports events, like the Five-Boro Bike Tour and the New York City Triathlon, and police officials estimate it would bring in $3.5 million a year. Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration has agreed to delay implementation until 2012.

It is just one way the New York City Police Department is dealing with budget cuts, Kelly told City Council members. The NYPD would not cut the number of uniformed officers but would eliminate 350 civilian positions. It would also scrap plans to rebuild four stationhouses: the 40th Precinct in the South Bronx, the 66th and 70th Precincts in Brooklyn and the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst, Queens, in order to save $120 million.

“I think everyone recognizes that we need new facilities, no question about that. But because of the financial environment we find ourselves in, they’ve been eliminated,” said Kelly.

During one sharp exchange, the police commissioner was also questioned about the NYPD’s use of resources. In particular, the emphasis on marijuana possession, which a new report says accounts for one of every seven arrests in New York City.

“According to the analysis, that’s about $75 million that we’re spending in arresting people for this low-level offense,” said Manhattan Councilwoman Melissa Mark-Viverito.

“If you think the law is not written correctly, then you should petition the state Legislature to change it,” Kelly responded.

Kelly was also asked about his name being floated recently by Senator Charles Schumer as a candidate to the be next director of the FBI. Kelly told City Council members he has no plans to go anywhere.
    NYPD
    Exam# 8316 12/2008

Ready for Hire!!

January 2012 - "Last of the mohicans"...... Just missed the July 2011 class.

Why don't they just charge people for reporting crime and get it over with?

Comment

Originally posted by NYRangers718
      I'm 100% for charging them. In fact they should also charge them to reimburse the extra gas I have to pay waiting around in the traffic the marathon causes. Sorry to all the runners out there but you wouldn't like it if some friends and I had major streets closed down to dribble basketballs around the city would you? Theres a place for everything. You can run the same distance whether you're running through city streets, a track in circles, or around a stadium parking lot. Theres no reason a few thousand people should be allowed to distrupt the daily lives of over 8 million. Just my 2 cents.
      You sound fat

Comment

I know, I'm just playing. I agree with you too that any corporate sponsored marathons should have to pay, and charity runs shouldn't.

Comment

During one sharp exchange, the police commissioner was also questioned about the NYPD’s use of resources. In particular, the emphasis on marijuana possession, which a new report says accounts for one of every seven arrests in New York City.

“According to the analysis, that’s about $75 million that we’re spending in arresting people for this low-level offense,” said Manhattan Councilwoman Melissa Mark-Viverito.

“If you think the law is not written correctly, then you should petition the state Legislature to change it,” Kelly responded.

Sound like she might want to plant some around the city.
          NYPD
          Exam# 8316 12/2008

Ready for Hire!!

January 2012 - "Last of the mohicans"...... Just missed the July 2011 class.

Comment

Originally posted by NYRangers718
            I'm 100% for charging them. In fact they should also charge them to reimburse the extra gas I have to pay waiting around in the traffic the marathon causes. Sorry to all the runners out there but you wouldn't like it if some friends and I had major streets closed down to dribble basketballs around the city would you? Theres a place for everything. You can run the same distance whether you're running through city streets, a track in circles, or around a stadium parking lot. Theres no reason a few thousand people should be allowed to distrupt the daily lives of over 8 million. Just my 2 cents.
            Sorry, but *everyone* who lives here knows what day the marathon is so here's an idea: stay home that day and relax! I do the same during the Puerto Rican Day parade or the Thanksgiving Day parade. You stay home, and I'll be out there running (I have guaranteed entry into this year's marathon). Almost *all* of NYRR's road races are in Central Park...this is one of the very few that takes place outside of it, so you have your wish granted 95% of the time. You can handle one Sunday off.
            DEA SA 1811 Application:
            Applied: February '10
            COE GS-9: June '10
            Submitted SF-86: June '10
            Passed Phase I Testing: October '10
            Passed Panel Interview: December '10
            Passed Medical: December '10
            Passed PTT: March '11
            Written Psych: (scheduled) March '11

NYPD Exam 8051:
            Exam Date: February '09
            Received List # (95+5=100): June '09
            Rest of the process: ?

Comment

That shouldn't be too difficult. Apparently we're supposed to be in Staten Island by 5 a.m. that morning!
              DEA SA 1811 Application:
              Applied: February '10
              COE GS-9: June '10
              Submitted SF-86: June '10
              Passed Phase I Testing: October '10
              Passed Panel Interview: December '10
              Passed Medical: December '10
              Passed PTT: March '11
              Written Psych: (scheduled) March '11

NYPD Exam 8051:
              Exam Date: February '09
              Received List # (95+5=100): June '09
              Rest of the process: ?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5105 users online. 317 members and 4788 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X