NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Question: NYPD academy experience for recruits from other agencies?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro718
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2009

Question: NYPD academy experience for recruits from other agencies?

I searched and saw that someone posted this same question two years ago in the Ask an Officer section, but it was never answered. Figured the NY forum would be better suited for this question. Didn't really find anything in the NYPD Academy threads, either.

For those of you that know, how does the NYPD academy experience of a recruit from an outside agency differ from that of an NYPD recruit? Specifically:

- Are we still regulated by deportment cards?

- Do outside agencies pay for uniforms and equipment?

- Do we report to the same swearing in as NYPD recruits? In other words, do we all share the same start date?

Any other notable differences? I expect to go into next month's NYPD session for the SUNY Police.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this was answered elsewhere.
    NYPD Academy - July 2011 Session
  • NYCTNT
    DENIED!
    • Aug 2007

Yes you still get deportment cards, but they don't count unless your agency tells the nypd otherwise. So in essence you can max ouT and still not get canned, unless the nypd reaaallly wants you out, or your job signs off on them.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

• Nitro718
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by NYCTNT
      Yes you still get deportment cards, but they don't count unless your agency tells the nypd otherwise. So in essence you can max ouT and still not get canned, unless the nypd reaaallly wants you out, or your job signs off on them.
      Appreciate the quick response, sir. Needless to say, I will be staying below the radar and will do everything the instructors tell me to do.

Comment

• nasa808
        Forum Member
        • May 2005

Do outside agencies pay for uniforms and equipment?
        Depends if your PD pays for it. If they don't, guess who has to front the money.
        Normally this kind of stuff is detailed in your contract.

My first PD only gave me a radio,vest,and a gun. My second PD gave me everything that you can possibly think of including an off-duty gun.

GOOD LUCK!
        We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

• Nitro718
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by nasa808
          Depends if your PD pays for it. If they don't, guess who has to front the money.
          Normally this kind of stuff is detailed in your contract.

My first PD only gave me a radio,vest,and a gun. My second PD gave me everything that you can possibly think of including an off-duty gun.

GOOD LUCK!
          Thanks for responding! I think I read in the NYSUP thread that all officers get issued equipment, and for that I am thankful. Wasn't sure if this includes the NYPD Academy greys and whatever else I may need to pay for.

Appreciate the well wishes - I am both nervous and excited to start the Academy! Did you swear in with the NYPD recruits on their first day?

Comment

• EnWhyPeeDee
            Forum Member
            • Jun 2009

Don't be nervous for the NYPD academy, it's a giant joke. It's 6 months, but if you add everything up, you probably only spend 3.5 months actually doing things. Since you aren't' NYPD, you have it even better since they can't really do anything to you.

Comment

• NYCTNT
              DENIED!
              • Aug 2007

I wouldn't even say 3.5!
              Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

• EnWhyPeeDee
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                I wouldn't even say 3.5!
                Subtract another 6 weeks for just standing the hallways trying to figure out what classroom you are going to or they have no where to put you so everyone goes to the auditorium and nothing gets done.

Comment

• Realplayer01
                  Forum Member
                  • Jul 2008

The state has an online SUNY Police Manual which says that uniforms and gear are issued by the UP department. Read article 25. It doesnt say anything about academy grays or any recruit uniforms. What I want to know is can you buy academy grays used from an authorized equipment store or do you have to buy them new? http://www.suny.edu/sunypp/docs/364.doc

Comment

• Nitro718
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by EnWhyPeeDee
                    Don't be nervous for the NYPD academy, it's a giant joke. It's 6 months, but if you add everything up, you probably only spend 3.5 months actually doing things. Since you aren't' NYPD, you have it even better since they can't really do anything to you.
                    I definitely appreciate the encouragement. I just want to go in and do well. And a lot of my MOS buddies at 1PP told me the same thing you just did.

Question: When travelling between the Academy and other locations in the recruit greys, are we supposed to salute NYPD and other MOS who are in uniform?

Originally posted by Realplayer01
                    The state has an online SUNY Police Manual which says that uniforms and gear are issued by the UP department. Read article 25. It doesnt say anything about academy grays or any recruit uniforms. What I want to know is can you buy academy grays used from an authorized equipment store or do you have to buy them new? http://www.suny.edu/sunypp/docs/364.doc
                    Wow. This manual is pure gold, brother - Appreciate you finding that. Haven't heard anything about the greys, but I am sure one of the Deputy Chiefs will fill us in. Just a few more weeks!

Comment

• options open
                      Blind Follower
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Nitro718

Question: When travelling between the Academy and other locations in the recruit greys, are we supposed to salute NYPD and other MOS who are in uniform?

!
                      No.

Comment

• EnWhyPeeDee
                        Forum Member
                        • Jun 2009

Since you aren't NYPD, you might not be mandated to travel to/from the academy in uniform. If you want, ask your deputy chief if for safety reasons you can put a jacket over your recruit uniform since you aren't armed and wearing a uniform that says City of NY Police Academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19747 users online. 54 members and 19693 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...