Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD and Reserves?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NYPD and Reserves?

    I'm thinking of applying to NYPD, but I'm also intent on enlisting in the Marine Reserve unit in
    Garden City, the 2/25 Marines.

    Does anybody know of NYPD's policies regarding the reserves, especially regarding deployments?

    Any NYPD/Guard Members/Reservists in this forum?

  • #2
    If you enlist prior to going on the job, it's no problem. After you're on the job, you need permission to enlist in the reserves.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by EnWhyPeeDee View Post
      If you enlist prior to going on the job, it's no problem. After you're on the job, you need permission to enlist in the reserves.
      Thanks for the quick response.

      By permission, is that just supervisor approval? And would you happen to know if its easy to obtain?

      Comment


      • #4
        Permission by the Police Commissioner.

        It is fairly easy to obtain as it is the LAW.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hey I have a question. I enlisted back January when they said there was no class for July, I picked a September ship date and now there is a class. I told my recruiter and he told me, I would be crazy not to take the PD job. Is it possible to have my cake and eat it too?

          Comment


          • #6
            Why would you do such a silly thing such as enlisting right now.

            Oh well.

            Goodluck!
            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

            Comment


            • #7
              Why not? Besides it has been something I have wanted to do for along time. In today's army national guard its much different, I have the option not to ship without any negative repercussion's.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by city09 View Post
                Hey I have a question. I enlisted back January when they said there was no class for July, I picked a September ship date and now there is a class. I told my recruiter and he told me, I would be crazy not to take the PD job. Is it possible to have my cake and eat it too?
                from a 8+ year soldier, you can postpone your ship date for the Army, despite what anybody tells you.
                Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                Why would you do such a silly thing such as enlisting right now.

                Some people watch scared from the safety of their home, others man up and answer the call. Good luck brother, and anybody that questions your choice is from the former category.

                Originally posted by city09 View Post
                Why not? Besides it has been something I have wanted to do for along time. In today's army national guard its much different, I have the option not to ship without any negative repercussion's.
                The option not to ship is a lie, if you're in, you're deployable, sorry.

                Comment


                • #9
                  If i choose not to go I become a failure to ship, which gets me a general discharge. But I am going to do what you said and postpone my ship date. Thank you for the info.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    P.S Thank you for your service as well. HOOAH.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hello to all current and future soliders,

                      I enlisted last year in the NJ National Guard. My main reason was I didnt know what the situation was going to be with PD, plus I wanted to see if I could handle basic training. I made it and I made a good decision. So far, the Army has been good to me and reverse. My word of advice is go for it. Its great training and you get to serve your country. If anyone has any questions about basic or army related, please feel free to PM me, Ill be happy to answer it (to the best of my ability)

                      For those on the boards who are NYPD and military, I have a question - will there be someone during those 3 days of processing who can help out soliders who want to use there GI Bill during the Academy? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

                      Good luck to all!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by city09 View Post
                        If i choose not to go I become a failure to ship, which gets me a general discharge. But I am going to do what you said and postpone my ship date. Thank you for the info.
                        again, all things made up by recruiters to get unknowing people to ship out ASAP. You are not IN the military until you start to get paid, day 1 that you ship out. You cannot get "discharged" until you are actually IN the military. The only thing even close to that in the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice... like our own CL/CPL) is "failure to make movement" but that doesn't apply to you, it's for people that skip out on their plane going to Iraq stuff like that.
                        Just make it clear to your recruiter, who BTW take that job usually as way to get out of deploying, that you want to postpone your ship date, not that you're giving up on the army completely.
                        Originally posted by 6010GOTASHOT? View Post
                        Hello to all current and future soliders,

                        I enlisted last year in the NJ National Guard. My main reason was I didnt know what the situation was going to be with PD, plus I wanted to see if I could handle basic training. I made it and I made a good decision. So far, the Army has been good to me and reverse. My word of advice is go for it. Its great training and you get to serve your country. If anyone has any questions about basic or army related, please feel free to PM me, Ill be happy to answer it (to the best of my ability)

                        For those on the boards who are NYPD and military, I have a question - will there be someone during those 3 days of processing who can help out soliders who want to use there GI Bill during the Academy? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

                        Good luck to all!
                        In Suffolk county we had the VA rep come in I think the 2nd day explaining the paperwork needed and our benefits and collecting dd214's. LE has a relatively high number of veterans compared to general society, and they (your agency) know that.

                        for NYPD specifically maybe someone else could help more, but friends on NYPD haven't ever mentioned any problems to me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ok thank you for all the insight. LOL about the recruiter not deploying.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The reason I say silly is because the NYPD will start to begin "mass hiring" soon enough. It would be a shame to miss out on the opportunity to go sign up to the reserves and then get shipped out to the desert for a year while the list and hiring keeps on going and possibly expire, even with an extension.
                            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I understand. When I enlisted there was no class so I thought It was a safe time. Go figure.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 7661 users online. 332 members and 7329 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X