Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When does BI contact your current employer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does BI contact your current employer?

For those ready for hire and those OTJ - when does your BI contact your current employer? I dont want my current employer to know I'm planning on jumping ship, well, until I know that there's at least a chance of being hired...

Does your BI wait to contact your current employer?

Originally posted by mikeygills View Post
    For those ready for hire and those OTJ - when does your BI contact your current employer? I dont want my current employer to know I'm planning on jumping ship, well, until I know that there's at least a chance of being hired...

Does your BI wait to contact your current employer?
    mine got it a week after i first met with my BI

Comment

Varies greatly between BI's. One can do he same day you hand in your paperwork, others can do it months later. Its all according to their schedule.

In your predicament that isn't a problem at all, just ask they don't contact your current employer for that exact reason. They understand, I did it. All you have to do is fill out a form on why you don't want them contacted.

Comment

If you asked us not to contact your current employer we wouldn't hire you. We might try to wait as long as possible, but we would still talk to them.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          If you asked us not to contact your current employer we wouldn't hire you. We might try to wait as long as possible, but we would still talk to them.
          Yeah here's its not a big deal, at least it wasn't for my BI.

Comment

As a BI, here are some of the things I need to ask your employer about in order to properly complete your background and assess your suitability for the position:

1. Integrity
            • Honesty
            • Impartiality
            • Trustworthiness
            • Protection of Confidential Information
            • Moral/Ethical Behavior

2. Impulse Control/Attention to Safety
            • Safe Driving Practices
            • Attention to Safety
            • Impulse/Anger Control

3. Substance Abuse and Other Risk-Taking Behavior

4. Stress Tolerance
            • Positive Attitude and Even Temper
            • Stress Tolerance and Recovery
            • Accepting Responsibility for Mistakes

5. Confronting and Overcoming Problems, Obstacles, and Adversity

6. Conscientiousness
            • Dependability/Reliability
            • Personal Accountability and Responsibility
            • Safeguarding and Maintaining Property and Equipment
            • Orderliness, Thoroughness, and Attention to Detail
            • Initiative and Drive
            • General Conscientiousness

7. Interpersonal Skills
            • Social Sensitivity
            • Social Interest and Concern
            • Tolerance
            • Social Self-Confidence/Persuasiveness
            • Teamwork

8. Decision-Making and Judgment
            • Situation/Problem Analysis
            • Adherence to Policies and Regulations
            • Response Appropriateness
            • Response Assessment

9. Learning Ability

10. Communication Skills
            • Oral Communication
            • Written Communication

Law enforcement is not some run of the mill job. It requires a considerable amount of maturity, self control, intelligence, people skills and integrity. Without this information from your employer, the department would be unable to evaluate your personal history and make a valid assessment as to your suitability for the position you are seeking. Were you to tell me I cannot contact your employer, I would immediately close out your package indicating that you are no longer willing to cooperate in the background investigation process and you would be an automatic DQ.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              Were you to tell me I cannot contact your employer, I would immediately close out your package indicating that you are no longer willing to cooperate in the background investigation process and you would be an automatic DQ.
              Thats not how they do it for the NYPD. According to some other people here, it's not a big deal if you don't want your current employer contacted.
              NYPD when???

Comment

Originally posted by nypdhopeful09 View Post
                Thats not how they do it for the NYPD. According to some other people here, it's not a big deal if you don't want your current employer contacted.
                Really, stop and think about what you just said.

Operating on that principle you could be hiring someone who is the office bully, or never comes in to work on time, has been stealing from his employer and is about to get fired, or simply made up the job and doesn't work there at all. Consider the quality of officer you are going to get with that kind of background process.

I stand by what I said. Law enforcement is not some run of the mill job. It requires a considerable amount of maturity, self control, intelligence, people skills and integrity. Without this information from your employer, the department would be unable to evaluate your personal history and make a valid assessment as to your suitability for the position you are seeking.

BTW, who are these "Some Other People Here" you reference? I only see one and according to his profile, no one has hired him.

When you have done backgrounds and when you have reviewed backgrounds, then come back and talk to me.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1, I will not argue with what you've said. Those are all legitimate points.

In my particular case, I have a stellar record at my job. In fact, I wish I could have them call for references. I am a member of management who has had a pretty rapid rise so far. There are two problems with having NYPD contact my job though.

1) The company I work for will not release anything beyond basic employment info that gets filtered through the HR department.

2) If my company got wind that I was thinking of leaving, it would end any promotional opportunities with them instantly. Even if I didn't get the job, I'd still be stuck in my current position because they'd always have it in the back of their head that I don't plan on staying for the long haul.

Like I said, I completely understand the need to contact the current employer. It's just not the best choice in my particular situation so if NYPD says it's optional, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Comment

When i processed for suffolk county they said if needed they can hold off on contact your current employer till the very end.

Comment

I told my employer they would be contacted. That I was looking to do Auxiliary/Part time work. It will cover all of your bases.
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

BTW, who are these "Some Other People Here" you reference? I only see one and according to his profile, no one has hired him.

When you have done backgrounds and when you have reviewed backgrounds, then come back and talk to me.
                        It was me, and for my BI it wasn't a big deal at all. They had its own form for it and everything.

Comment

I was friends w my boss at work before I got hired... when NYPD BI called my boss they asked him to verify I worked there... THAT'S IT!

He was all prepared to say how I was a nice guy and whatnot and he didn't even get a chance.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I don't know about other agencies though.

Comment

Since the NYPD takes like 2-3 years to complete the process it would be nice if they could wait to contact your most recent employer until right before they are ready to hire you. Especially with the way the economy is and companies laying off people. I know for my boss knowing that I was thinking about leaving for a job in LE would make his decision that much easier if there was another round of layoffs. He is the kinda boss that thinks that employees should be grateful they still have a job in this economy. So I definitely think BIs should contact current employers, but I also don't think it should be done 2-3 years before an offer of a job is going to be made.

Comment

As a BI, here are some of the things I need to ask your employer about in order to properly complete your background and assess your suitability for the position:

1. Integrity
                              • Honesty
                              • Impartiality
                              • Trustworthiness
                              • Protection of Confidential Information
                              • Moral/Ethical Behavior

2. Impulse Control/Attention to Safety
                              • Safe Driving Practices
                              • Attention to Safety
                              • Impulse/Anger Control

3. Substance Abuse and Other Risk-Taking Behavior

4. Stress Tolerance
                              • Positive Attitude and Even Temper
                              • Stress Tolerance and Recovery
                              • Accepting Responsibility for Mistakes

5. Confronting and Overcoming Problems, Obstacles, and Adversity

6. Conscientiousness
                              • Dependability/Reliability
                              • Personal Accountability and Responsibility
                              • Safeguarding and Maintaining Property and Equipment
                              • Orderliness, Thoroughness, and Attention to Detail
                              • Initiative and Drive
                              • General Conscientiousness

7. Interpersonal Skills
                              • Social Sensitivity
                              • Social Interest and Concern
                              • Tolerance
                              • Social Self-Confidence/Persuasiveness
                              • Teamwork

8. Decision-Making and Judgment
                              • Situation/Problem Analysis
                              • Adherence to Policies and Regulations
                              • Response Appropriateness
                              • Response Assessment

9. Learning Ability

10. Communication Skills
                              • Oral Communication
                              • Written Communication

Law enforcement is not some run of the mill job. It requires a considerable amount of maturity, self control, intelligence, people skills and integrity. Without this information from your employer, the department would be unable to evaluate your personal history and make a valid assessment as to your suitability for the position you are seeking. Were you to tell me I cannot contact your employer, I would immediately close out your package indicating that you are no longer willing to cooperate in the background investigation process and you would be an automatic DQ.
                              Yeah mine didn't even call my previous or current employers, they just mailed questionaire/survey that was like a page or two.

Obviously the background investigation process is different, how many do you process a year? They process hundreds if not thousands and get new cases dumped on their desk every day, that may account for the differences.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4575 users online. 299 members and 4276 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X