Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsorship

Hey all,

I am going to be going into the part time Academy outside of Rochester starting in April and I am currently Un-sponsered. It means I will not have a job after academy nor will i be able to complete the last 100 hours of firearms. I was curious if any of you have knowledge of any departments (usually smaller) that are looking to sponsor for employment. If not, maybe some departments that are known for sponsoring people in the past. Any of you been through the Rural Police Training Academy in Batavia?

Thank you for your time and comments anything helps,

Robert

Yea it definitely is time consuming and you have to be persistent. What are the few that you know of. Anyone else been through an academy in Ny where you have been self sponsored?
    Last edited by robert012; 02-19-2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I didn't think self-sponsoring through an academy in NY was all that common...Is it more common upstate, cause on the island/nyc it's very uncommon. There's other states though where its pretty much you're only shot of getting a job (except for the big cities).

Comment

Its not that common. Economically I opted to put myself through the academy opposed to another 2 more years in college. I have my Associates in Police Science. The academy is about 3 grand so I figured I can get this done and have one more thing under my belt to help market myself. Last class going through 3 out of the 25 were un-sponsored and all three were picked up by the end of the 9 months. I just need to find the smaller towns who participate. I have spoken to officers who went through the same thing I am going to and they said the small towns is where I am going to find it. I am totally fine with that as long as I can get in somewhere. As many of us know the first chance you get take it. I am just curious if anyone has done this and or know of any smaller departments around the upstate (wny) area looking for hires.

Comment

I'm trying to self sponsor as well. I'm more near Albany though. It's tough but it's the gamble you take because Civil service SUCKS. It's a complicated process, but some agencies will pick you up after you go through the self sponsored academy.
          Trying to get on in NY...
          PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

Comment

Yes indeed. Rochester's having a civil on may 8th. I noticed you were lookin for one. Have you heard of any departments around self sponsoring. I'm okay with relocating.

Comment

I have not heard of any departments sponsoring. I guess it has something to do with liability as you are on their insurance while in the academy? I could be off base though.
              Trying to get on in NY...
              PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

Comment

so does this self sponsor means that after u complete the academy on your own....u may get hired from the nypd?...

Comment

Correct you would still have to start from the beginning for the NYPD, suffolk, nassau, etc. Typically the larger departments make you go through their academy (even if you're already a PO), but some smaller ones will accept transfers.

Comment

Correct, but if its that one thing that gets my foot into the door and the ball rolling I will go through an academy ten times over. In my position Id much rather take this chance than wait around for years.

Comment

I see what you're saying, but the hiring process is civil service, so you won't have that much (if any) advantage just cause you went through another academy.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7485 users online. 373 members and 7112 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X