300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC Environmental Police Officer

The exam was given some time last year I believe it was April, exam 8323. The threads have some old and I would imagine outdated info on this department. How large are they, the benefits, the duties, retirement? etc... List numbers have gone out for the last test that was given, anyone get theirs yet? Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=USAFSF;2173442]The exam was given some time last year I believe it was April, exam 8323. The threads have some old and I would imagine outdated info on this department. How large are they, the benefits, the duties, retirement? etc... List numbers have gone out for the last test that was given, anyone get theirs yet? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE

Im on the 8323 exam went for medical and met with BI, however I didnt follow up because I was hired by another department. I would just use this department as a stepping stone I copied this from wikipedia.

Salary
    The NYC Department of Environmental Protection Police is severely short manned, with only 154 officers. Many people, including DEP officers and the LEEBA union president say that the low salary is one of the reasons for this. The salary for DEP Police officer is $25,631 for the first 26 weeks while in training, which jumps to $29,405 after the completion of training. The salary rises up to $30,355 after one year, and reaches the top salary of $44,742 after 6 years.[2] This leads to an extremely high attrition rate with the DEP Police and less experienced officers.

[edit] Line of Duty Injury Benefits
    DEP Police officers do not have line of duty injury benefits. This means that if an officer is injured in the line of duty, their salary will not be paid to them until they return to work, and their medical benefits will end. This has caused injured officers to have major financial problems since they aren't receiving their salary or medical benefits. This issue first came to light in 2008 when DEP Police sergeant Ed Klan was responding to a shots fired call. He lost control of his police car on an icy road and it flipped. Sergeant Klan suffered neck and shoulder injuries, forcing him to take off from work. His salary wasn't paid to him, and he was forced to refinance his home in order to pay bills.[3]

In March 2009, DEP Police officer Eric Hoffman was critically injured when he crashed his all-terrain vehicle while chasing after trespassers. Since he does not have line of duty injury benefits, his salary will stop being paid to him and his medical benefits will end in a short time. Officer Hoffman can apply for workers compensation, however it can take months before they are approved.[4]

On April 20th, 2009, DEP Police officers and their union president rallied outside New York City Hall for line of duty injury benefits

Comment

Wikapedia!!! Written opinions of the disgruntled.

I bet if you ask EPO Hoffman, he will tell you he was treated well by the city. By the way, he has been back on light duty. He is itching to get back out on the streets.

Comment

took the walk in exam last month got an 89. has any one taken exam #0306
        Last edited by APO JohnnyBlaze; 02-05-2010, 12:51 PM. Reason: repost
        NYPD

sigpic."why you be harassing me and ****"

Comment

Myself and a friend took that exam. I scored an 87%, my friend a 95%. Hopefully I scored high enough to even get called since the classes are so small for the department.
          Agencies Currently and Previously Employed By:
          NYRA Peace Officer - 2010 - 2012 & 2016 - Present
          Sea Gate Police - 2012 - 2013
          NYPD Auxiliary Police - 2009 - 2014
          NYC Department of Homeless Services Police - 2012 - 2014
          U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Prisons - 2014 - 2015

Comment

Originally posted by NYCAPO View Post
            Myself and a friend took that exam. I scored an 87%, my friend a 95%. Hopefully I scored high enough to even get called since the classes are so small for the department.

that should be a good score. who knows they might call be positive bro.i hope they call me wit my 89 score
            Last edited by APO JohnnyBlaze; 02-05-2010, 04:01 PM. Reason: repost
            NYPD

Comment

They will call you with those scores. The waiting game is more on when do they get to your list. They will use multiple lists, but there are several people who were not finished processing before the last hire. They will get called first.

Comment

Originally posted by APO JohnnyBlaze View Post
                that should be a good score. who knows they might call be positive bro.i hope they call me wit my 89 score
                Yea, your right. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by joe publik View Post
                  They will call you with those scores. The waiting game is more on when do they get to your list. They will use multiple lists, but there are several people who were not finished processing before the last hire. They will get called first.
                  Thanks for the info Joe. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCAPO View Post
                    Yea, your right. Good luck.
                    thanks you too
                    NYPD

Comment

Originally posted by joe publik View Post
                      hey thanks joe i feel much better now. also correct me if im wrong but the process is the same as in NYPD. and when u graduate from the academy do u get a to make a wishlist of where u want to go?
                      NYPD

Comment

Most are assigned to the reservoir in Upstate NY.

Comment

Originally posted by APO JohnnyBlaze View Post
                          when u graduate from the academy do u get a to make a wishlist of where u want to go?
                          Yes you do, but it all depends on the needs of the department.

Comment

If I were to put down the Hillview Precinct as #1 on my wishlist, do you think I have any chance of going there or are the new guys mainly sent to upstate reservoirs?

Comment

Has there been any talk on better contracts for these guys?
                              I have been wanting to take the test but the pay and benefits are not as good as the job I just got with the city.
                              Its a real shame how the city treats the DEP officers. These contracts should go hand in hand with the nypd!
                              The Union has filed for arbitration about 2 weeks ago.
                              The pay is on par if you are comparing some of the counties DEP patrols in. Westchester would not be one of them. I am wondering why you think the city treats DEP Police bad? There are reasons why we are in the current situation.
                              1. The previous union was not a very good union for us (before my time).
                              2. The current union is new and learning the ropes.
                              3. The previous commissioner was anti-police. The rumors from the new administration are positive on what they want to give. Unfortunately the union irritated the city with certain actions and OCB didn't want to play ball last month.
                              4. We don't do the same job as NYPD. We are not uniformed status (some on the job think we are under the same title). We negotiate with DEP and there needs. So we are limited on what we can get. This will come from city council.
                              Things could be better, however, the city isn't all to blame. It may be getting better within a year. We will see.

hey thanks joe i feel much better now. also correct me if im wrong but the process is the same as in NYPD. and when u graduate from the academy do u get a to make a wishlist of where u want to go?
                              Yes you do, but it all depends on the needs of the department.
                              The process is the same up until the day you are hired (or not hired). You will go for an interview. The quote above is as accurate as you can get. The last class had a few people displaced. The current academy will get out soon so they are in the process of taking transfers before then.

If I were to put down the Hillview Precinct as #1 on my wishlist, do you think I have any chance of going there or are the new guys mainly sent to upstate reservoirs?
                              Most are assigned to the reservoir in Upstate NY.
                              Most are not assigned to Upstate precincts. That is unless you call Westchester Upstate. Hillview and Eastview are the largest and require most of the officers for fixed posts. They are about 20 minutes drive apart.

Just so you know, you will not do a whole lot of police work. You will be a police officer, but you will do more security and if you are upstate you will have the ability to do enviromental enforcement. Most of the time, you back up local law enforcement when deviating from your mission. Otherwise, get used to living groundhog day over and over.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6533 users online. 342 members and 6191 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X