Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CountyCorrectionOfficer
    commented on 's reply
    It depends on the circumstances involved. The NYSP, NYS DOCS and OCA Courts are quite stringent in their hiring practices with a great emphasis on previous employment and criminal history. Most of your disqualifiers are character disqualification. Most of the test takers who pass the state and NYC LEO civil service exams are eliminated from employment consideration on that basis. The smaller, lesser paid upstate police agencies might cut you some slack. I have heard of some police agencies that have hired terminated (for cause) officers from other agencies. That would never occur in state and NYC LEO employment.

You could also be disqualified on the basis of being terminated from employment in the private sector.

• USMCmech6216
    commented on 's reply
    M-F 9 to 5 in some places. Downstate has night court, weekend arraignment, work holidays, swing shift etc. Upstate “most” courts are 8a-4p, 8:15a-4:15p, 8:30a-4:30p or 9a-5p. All depends on your court.

• USMCmech6216
    commented on 's reply
    I had a bunch of COs in my class and they all couldn’t wait for this job. They all said DOCS sucked and they hated it, etc. As for as the “worthiness” everything should transfer over from DOCS if you got this job. The only thing you would “lose” is seniority. All your accruals will kind of transfer. You can only take 70 hours of sick and vacation each, so DOCS pays you out the rest. But you pay should come with you, minus the OT. I had 12 years with another agency prior to this and everything transitioned over smoothly.

• USMCmech6216
    commented on 's reply
    Upstate class is coming soon.... they are trying to avoid running an upstate and downstate class together. It less confusing that way

• USMCmech6216
    commented on 's reply
    AMP519 I meant the last class off the 2014 list. But I’m hearing now that they want atleast 2 upstate classes off this list if they can. Then the 2020 list will be the list they are going off of.

• USMCmech6216
    commented on 's reply
    Rumor is next upstate class is spring time frame. So May-ish. Good luck

• Reigns167
    commented on 's reply
    Already done both and on a new agency . No one could give me a straight answer but thanks for info hopefully you’re right and time counts on back end

• Patriot91
    commented on 's reply
    You'd be locked into said tier- her time would not carry on the front end it would carry on the back.

• unblindeacon
    replied
    The short answer is most likely yes. Time is Time when it comes to the NYS Pension system and you just don’t loose your time...but if it’s beneficial, or front end time or back end time is another story. Honestly I’d worry more about getting this job rather than getting this job and then getting another one.

The long answer :

Transferred Service

You may be eligible to transfer your membership in another New York State public retirement system to ERS or PFRS. To do so, file a request with the other system while you have an active membership in both systems. Transfers are not done automatically.

This transfer application is irrevocable. Once it is filed and received by the Retirement System, your transfer is effective. Under certain circumstances, it may not be beneficial to transfer your membership. If you have any questions concerning your transfer or if you are covered by a special plan, contact our Call Center at 1-866-805-0990 before completing the Application for Transfer of Membership (RS5534) .

On completion of the transfer, your date of membership will become the transferred date of membership or your current date of membership in this System, whichever is earlier. In most instances, you will be credited with the transferred service. (Some service may not be creditable under special plans or if the transferred service gives you more than one year of service credit during a year.) In some cases, depending on your new date of membership, your tier will also change.

Leave a comment:

• Reigns167
    commented on 's reply
    Does your time count if you take another police job in the NYS police and fire retirement system ? Court officers are in a special plan with NYSRS

• unblindeacon
    replied
    The above posts are correct. Your firearms vouchered at the academy day 1. I was referring more to SLED pay and restricted firearm status. You can be a “no-gun” if you fail requal, get arrested, get served with order of protection, alcohol/drug problem, etc. You can be in that status for a long time. So for example let’s say you graduate from the academy, get your unrestricted ID, carry your firearms and five years later you fail requal. You will have to fill out some paperwork and turn in all your guns and then will be issued a “no-gun” ID. You are longer eligible for SLED pay (I think). Hope that answers your question.

Leave a comment:

• Glock40
    replied
    Originally posted by Crash Test View Post
    Hey unblindeacon can you explain restricted firearm status and how that works? If they place you on restricted status what happens to the firearms that you already own and vouchered at the police precinct, sheriffs office or court facility? ( I'm not sure where is acceptable for Court officer recruits ). Does this mean that you cannot have custody of your firearms that you were already authorized to own/carry before you were hired. Last how long can they keep you on restricted firearm status? Thanks in advance
    All handguns are handed in on day one of the academy. The handguns are returned after you qualify at your command and receive your unrestricted Id.

Leave a comment:

• Crash Test
    replied
    Hey unblindeacon can you explain restricted firearm status and how that works? If they place you on restricted status what happens to the firearms that you already own and vouchered at the police precinct, sheriffs office or court facility? ( I'm not sure where is acceptable for Court officer recruits ). Does this mean that you cannot have custody of your firearms that you were already authorized to own/carry before you were hired. Last how long can they keep you on restricted firearm status? Thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

• Reigns167
    commented on 's reply
    I don’t think the time would count going from court officer to a police officer. I hope I’m wrong but I’ve never been able to confirm this. I’d like to think that the time would count on the back end .

• soon2retire
    commented on 's reply
    The hours are M-F 9-5
    Last edited by soon2retire; 02-22-2020, 08:03 AM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9973 users online. 359 members and 9614 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X