Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hear ya, but the list is still active for another 3 years and 2 months (approx.) anything can happen in that time frame. you did well enough to be in the first wave of recruits. good luck monday.

Comment

• thats great for those officrers. i hope this happens for them, unions are a blessing.

Comment

• The SCOA officers targeted for layoffs are being absorbed into COA. Both SCOA and COA were able to work out paying the security benefits fund. They will work in COA buildings as they are now part of COA. In effect there are NO officer layoffs. The total number targeted was 30, and seniority was based on list number.

Now some background....In the past all officers out of the academy went into the COA (Court Officers Assoc). They worked in lower civil, lower criminal, family courts. Officers would then take a promotional test to become an SCO (Supreme Court Officer) and they would enter the SCOA (Supreme Court Officer Assoc.) Working in Supreme Civil and Criminal courts. The SCO test was done away with so now you are "born" into either union with no mobility between unions (typically). SCOs working in COA buildings cannot work OT and vice versa...although silver shields can be transfered into any command regardless of union. SCO's who took the promotional test stay in any Supreme Command. Things change when rank is introduced as their is no seperate bosses union and bosses DO work OT. Nassau and Suffolk are COBANK (i believe) and are not in either the COA or SCOA. This is why the SOCA officers targeted for layoff were effectively "bought" into the COA. There were also several COA officers targeted.
        Last edited by unblindeacon; 05-19-2011, 07:59 PM.
        http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
        NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Originally posted by MP1212 View Post
          My brother's fiance was laid off. She was a court reporter. Sucks. I have my physical Monday and I feel like whats the point? They'll probably close my list by the time they start hiring again.
          NEGATIVE. Go and pass. Keep your infor current, and stay out of trouble. I have a feeling Late 2012/early 2013(maybe right before the world ends lol) will be the next academy if there isnt one that includes the jan2011 recruits before then. I tested in 2005 and started in 2010...it takes a long time especially with the current economic situtation. Just wait until arraignments close and some skell doesnt get arraigned winds up getting cut loose (PD will love that {sarcastic}) and then goes out and kills someone. Then things will change back, only after something tragic.
          Last edited by unblindeacon; 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by unblindeacon View Post
            The SCOA officers targeted for layoffs are being absorbed into COA. Both SCOA and COA were able to work out paying the security benefits fund. They will work in COA buildings as they are now part of COA. In effect there are NO officer layoffs. The total number targeted was 30, and seniority was based on list number.

Now some background....In the past all officers out of the academy went into the COA (Court Officers Assoc). They worked in lower civil, lower criminal, family courts. Officers would then take a promotional test to become an SCO (Supreme Court Officer) and they would enter the SCOA (Supreme Court Officer Assoc.) Working in Supreme Civil and Criminal courts. The SCO test was done away with so now you are "born" into either union with no mobility between unions (typically). SCOs working in COA buildings cannot work OT and vice versa...although silver shields can be transfered into any command regardless of union. SCO's who took the promotional test stay in any Supreme Command. Things change when rank is introduced as their is no seperate bosses union and bosses DO work OT. Nassau and Suffolk are COBANK (i believe) and are not in either the COA or SCOA. This is why the SOCA officers targeted for layoff were effectively "bought" into the COA. There were also several COA officers targeted.
            Hey,

Thanks for the information. I am glad no officers were laid off. God bless the unions. I hope other employees are able to get there jobs back. Please keep me informed if you hear new news. Thanks.

Comment

• I wonder if the unions would have been able to save our jobs if we had gone in the January 6, 2011 academy.
              Last edited by Cravan; 05-20-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• Got a call the other day to show up for my written psyc. Anyone scheduled? They gave me option of the 15 in the city or the 28 th upstate.

Comment

• well....thats a good sign.

Comment

• Originally posted by mfriguy View Post
                    Got a call the other day to show up for my written psyc. Anyone scheduled? They gave me option of the 15 in the city or the 28 th upstate.
                    Are you scheduled for May or June? This is very good news. The process is still rolling for you all. I remember when I started processing for the job in late 2008 early 2009, the courts had a hiring freeze and court officials were not sure when hiring would take place again. Then, in 2010 the courts offered me a position for the January 2011 class. Always be ready for hire because you never know when they might call you for the job.
                    Last edited by Cravan; 05-21-2011, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• I am scheduled for June 28th...yea I am keeping my hopes up but doesn't look promising anytime soon...

Comment

• Originally posted by mfriguy View Post
                        I am scheduled for June 28th...yea I am keeping my hopes up but doesn't look promising anytime soon...
                        Just keep going to appointments and pass the tests. I would suggest you take every other test that comes out too...including NYPD ( we have a lot of former Corrections & NYPD but only a few leave for NYPD)...I'm taking the SCPD test in two weeks lol. But I will say there are few other LEO jobs out there with a 35hr work week with limited nights & weekends...20 vacation days, 12 holidays, 5 ptp days, 12 sickdays your first year (plus OT & Comp), and a 43K starting salary (NYC Metro) plus $1250 yearly for uniform and 54k base after probation is up (current contract) A top tier NYS health benefit with vision & dental and I can't put a price tag on the value of being able make the kids baseball games and be there on christmas morning, New years, thanksgiving, memorial day, forth of july, etc. Hopefully I have given you some motivation, Keep the faith, Just a few days ago officer layoffs were set in stone and look how it turned out...Now some guys have been screwed by the process or the cancelled academy...thats a whole other story.
                        Last edited by unblindeacon; 05-24-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Is that Suffolk County u speak of? if so, doesn't the salary max at like 90 grand after like 5 yrs of service?

Comment

• No I was referring to NYS COURT OFFICER. I am taking the SCPD test. I was just highlighting some of the perks of MY job. I think SCPD is 108k after 5.5

Comment

• Oh, I now re-read it it and see u were giving a description of the court officer perks....sounds awesome, I'm keeping the faith.

Comment

• Unblindeacon- Thanks. Not sure I passed. I was the only female in my group so it was hard to size myself up to anyone. I also messed up on the pull up trainer. It was last and I just couldn't do it. I'm hoping if I failed, I can retest but I don't think I have enough upper body strength for it. (Any females take the PAT? PM me so we can tell each other how we did on the parts!)

I have the pysch scheduled for aug 9th if I passed. Not looking forward to trying to gather all the info for alllll my jobs. Gotta head down to ss and beg for a print out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8383 users online. 316 members and 8067 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X