300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unions Warn Workers to Expect 400-500 Layoffs in NY Court System

New York's court system has notified unions to expect massive layoffs, of between 400 and 500 workers, starting June 1.

The layoffs follow $70 million in additional budget cuts to New York's Unified Court System, according to a layoff update from the Civil Service Employees Association, the largest of 11 unions representing NY court workers.

The layoffs will be the first significant reduction in the court's workforce in 20 years, according to the New York Law Journal.

First to get pink slips, effective May 4, will be some 50 to 70 employees with the state's Office for Court Administration. Other notices are expected to be distributed on May 18.

The CSEA update notes that members had asked if furloughs or a payroll lag could make layoffs unnecessary. But the CSEA said no. "In our judgment, that is not possible," the layoff update states. "UCS has indicated that it would not consider either a lag or furlough unless all eleven unions agreed to it and nine of the unions have already vetoed the idea. Therefore, we are unable even to entertain the idea of either option."

Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman had offered to make $100 million in fiscal 2011-2012 budget cuts, but state lawmakers imposed an additional $70 million, necessitating the staff cuts.

Comment

• Well I still have my physical May 23rd so I don't think they're putting a hold on the process. I'm hoping when they do start hiring again, which probably wont be for at least a year, I'm hoping I'll get in before they expire my list. My brother's fiance is a court reporter and she's probably going to get laid off she said. I guess time will tell. Good luck everyone!

Comment

• I just talked to some of the officers in my old command. They say that morale statewide is in the gutter. In my former district all overtime has been canceled and officers were required to submit location preferences for potential reassignments (assuming that they're not laid off that is). My current department luckily doesn't seem to be having the same budget issues. It was a great job but I got out just in time. Especially since with only 2 years in the system I would have been among the first on the chopping block.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fuerza View Post
          I just talked to some of the officers in my old command. They say that morale statewide is in the gutter. In my former district all overtime has been canceled and officers were required to submit location preferences for potential reassignments (assuming that they're not laid off that is). My current department luckily doesn't seem to be having the same budget issues. It was a great job but I got out just in time. Especially since with only 2 years in the system I would have been among the first on the chopping block.
          Hey Fuerza,

Thanks for the information. By the way, do you still work for the courts, and if you do, what is your current title?

Comment

• Originally posted by MP1212 View Post
            Well I still have my physical May 23rd so I don't think they're putting a hold on the process. I'm hoping when they do start hiring again, which probably wont be for at least a year, I'm hoping I'll get in before they expire my list. My brother's fiance is a court reporter and she's probably going to get laid off she said. I guess time will tell. Good luck everyone!
            Hey MP1212,

I am glad that the process is still flowing. After your physical, please inform me about what OCA tells you about when the next recruit class will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
              Hey Fuerza,

Thanks for the information. By the way, do you still work for the courts, and if you do, what is your current title?
              No I'm a patrol officer for a local police department now. I loved being a court officer, but the salary here was much higher and the 20 year retirement was too good to pass up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fuerza View Post
                No I'm a patrol officer for a local police department now. I loved being a court officer, but the salary here was much higher and the 20 year retirement was too good to pass up.
                Okay, thanks. Please keep me informed if you receive more news from your old command.

Comment

• 5/17 the unions find out what officers if any will be layed off......5/18 officers know 6/1 last day on the payroll.

Comment

• This sux........hope it doesn't happen, I love the job. But if it does what can you do, it is out of our hands. All I know is I would not have quit my job with 2 children to care for if this was even a possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by redstormgsr View Post
                      This sux........hope it doesn't happen, I love the job. But if it does what can you do, it is out of our hands. All I know is I would not have quit my job with 2 children to care for if this was even a possibility.
                      hopes and prayers for you red.

Comment

• Originally posted by redstormgsr View Post
                        This sux........hope it doesn't happen, I love the job. But if it does what can you do, it is out of our hands. All I know is I would not have quit my job with 2 children to care for if this was even a possibility.
                        Hey,

How long have you been on the job and where do you work? You might not get laid off if you have seniority. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                          Hey,

How long have you been on the job and where do you work? You might not get laid off if you have seniority. Good luck.
                          redstormgsr came on the job with me. We are NYC...it is considered a layoff unit. He is a good friend of mine, and I have some fond memories of tactical simuntions (12 bruises lol) and FATS traing with him....Im sure he could tell you a funny story about what I looked like during decon after being sprayed with OC...(hopefully all of you guys trying to get on this job will some day get to experience this stuff). Whats really disheartening to me is the fact that redstomgsr could get laid off. He is a great guy...the kind this job needs, who is trying to support his family including young kids. It is really F**** up that any of us, let alone redstormgsr, have to worry about being jobless. We should find out tuesday/wednesday. I will post. It took a long time, a lot of hoops, and a lot of money to get here...to have it all taken away like a rug pulled out from under you is heartbreaking.
                          Last edited by unblindeacon; 05-12-2011, 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling
                          http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                          NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Originally posted by unblindeacon View Post
                            redstormgsr came on the job with me. We are NYC...it is considered a layoff unit. He is a good friend of mine, and I have some fond memories of tactical simuntions (12 bruises lol) and FATS traing with him....Im sure he could tell you a funny story about what I looked like during decon after being sprayed with OC...(hopefully all of you guys trying to get on this job will some day get to experience this stuff). Whats really disheartening to me is the fact that redstomgsr could get laid off. He is a great guy...the kind this job needs, who is trying to support his family including young kids. It is really F**** up that any of us, let alone redstormgsr, have to worry about being jobless. We should find out tuesday/wednesday. I will post. It took a long time, a lot of hoops, and a lot of money to get here...to have it all taken away like a rug pulled out from under you is heartbreaking.
                            Wow...that's tuff. I took the exam in Dec./09, I'm in the 42XX range. I think I selected like 6-or 8 counties, it wud' be nice if they call me within the next 2 yrs.

Comment

• Originally posted by unblindeacon View Post
                              I hope no one gets laid off. It is not fun being unemployed. I am currently unemployed, because of the postponement of the January 6, 2011 class. Please keep me informed about what happens. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by TruGuardian View Post
                                Wow...that's tuff. I took the exam in Dec./09, I'm in the 42XX range. I think I selected like 6-or 8 counties, it wud' be nice if they call me within the next 2 yrs.
                                Hey,

What was your score on the exam?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6865 users online. 292 members and 6573 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X