• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courts told to cut daily overtime costs
    Originally published: April 7, 2011 9:23 PM
    Updated: April 7, 2011 9:34 PM
    By SID CASSESE [email protected]

Judges statewide are expected to become stricter about closing down trial sessions for the day to reduce costs under a new court system push to cut spending.

David Bookstaver, a spokesman for the state courts, said "every effort is being made to save the jobs, including court officers, clerks and court reporters."

He said that where a judge might have let a session run a little over, so that a witness on the stand didn't have to return the next day, "Well, now, the witness must come back the next day."

"Our difficult fiscal situation requires that we reduce spending," Ann Pfau, the state's chief administrative judge, said in a letter Wednesday to administrative and presiding judges.

Pfau said layoffs could "be mitigated" by eliminating nonessential spending.

"To avoid overtime resulting from extended courtroom sessions, court proceedings . . . generally should end no later than 4:30 p.m.," Pfau said.

Also, Pfau said juries "generally should be excused for lunch . . . [saving] considerable court officer and court clerk overtime costs, as well as the cost of juror lunches."

State court budgets, already reduced $100 million by the court administration, will be cut $70 million more by the governor's office.

Suffolk's Administrative Judge C. Randall Hinrichs said the new policy "is clearly necessary given the present fiscal crisis. Every effort will be made in Suffolk County to ensure that the business of the courts will continue to be conducted as productively as possible."

Comment

• I have heard a rumor that because of reduction in the Courts funding there will be layoffs. This apparently will include the court officer ranks as well. First in first out is what I was told. This was shocking to me but the cut backs will effect all levels.

Comment

• guys they want to know your entire history back to high school-they want to know any periods when you were unemployed and reasons why. So get answers to those questions-"BUT" please be forewarned i had 1 job off the book back when i was a teenager and it was questioned very harshly in my final interview-so judge yourself accordingly.....
        Test 45-722
        Rank 21XX
        was scheduled for january 6th 2011 class that was cancelled

Comment

• I have a question for anyone actually on the job-I heard from someone i cant say is a reputable source that 400 court officers have already been laid off. I was wondering if someone could dispell this rumor or provide validity to it. If it is indeed correct then it bodes quite harshly for the rest of us here. Since this means the 390 they were already short are irrelevant and they would have to bring back 400 more people prior to even thinking about reinstalling the class they swept out from under our feet;let alone before hiring "ANYONE" off this new list. It could be years in that case. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
          Test 45-722
          Rank 21XX
          was scheduled for january 6th 2011 class that was cancelled

Comment

• I retired last September, but can tell you if layoffs occured, I would have heard about it-it's bs
            RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• Its not exactly BS...check my post from last week (http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ficer-Layoffs)I should find out this week if I will stay employed...it will be 50 -100 officers laid off in the 5 boro's. I don't know about other districts. All layoffs will be effective before June 1 with 20 days notice given. The unions have told us they will pay health insurance for those laid off so at least theres that. If I keep my job I am almost guaranteed to be transferred to another command as I will be bumped by someone with more seniority...(maybe a clerk rolled back to officer)...When I have a definitive I will pass it along. There is no word of another buyout anytime in the near future. There will be 500+ layoffs total
              Last edited by unblindeacon; 04-10-2011, 11:53 AM.
              http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
              NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• I am praying that no layoffs will happen. Let's see what happens. Obtaining a government job has gotten harder. Good luck to all.

FutureCtOfr, I sent you a private message.

Comment

• I, too, have not heard of any layoffs as of yet. There is no way the system coould absorb 400 layoffs without shutting down courtrooms. Layoffs would have to be done on a Last In First Out basis.

Comment

• There have not been any Court Officer layoffs yet...and there is a possibility that there may not be. The unions are trying to do everything that they can to avoid layoffs. It is a strong possibility but it is not definite.

As far as when it may happen, as of now there is no official deadline as to when the decision has to be made or as to when layoffs have to take effect.

Keep in mind that things can and are changing day by day.

Comment

• So like I said.....things change day by day.

The latest is that all effected employees will be notified on 5/18 and the layoffs will take effect on June 1st. There is still no word on how many Court Officers will be effected.

Comment

• Hopefully none of us will be affected ...But they are taking an awful long time to create seniority lists, checking volunteer FD/Military status (Which adds time to your seniority in the event of a layoff), and preparing rollbacks...IMO that's not good news. I have passed along all the info that I have been told regarding numbers and I am sticking to that 50 to 100...Hopefully the number will be 0. Maybe they can get away with eliminating 1/2 of the vacant lines which might equal around 50... I'm guessing that BXCO works in the bronx (lol) so you will probably not move anywhere...myself on the other hand will probably join you up there as I have the least building seniority and the bx seems to have the most shortages...how do you like it up there? check out the latest http://www.law.com/jsp/nylj/PubArtic...ut_Court_Costs
                        Last edited by unblindeacon; 04-14-2011, 07:34 PM.
                        http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                        NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

Last edited by BXCO; 03-21-2015, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• I hope no one gets laid off. I wonder when will OCA start hiring court officers again. I am also wondering if they are still processing candidates in NYC.

Comment

• Originally posted by unblindeacon View Post
                              Hopefully none of us will be affected ...But they are taking an awful long time to create seniority lists, checking volunteer FD/Military status (Which adds time to your seniority in the event of a layoff), and preparing rollbacks...IMO that's not good news. I have passed along all the info that I have been told regarding numbers and I am sticking to that 50 to 100...Hopefully the number will be 0. Maybe they can get away with eliminating 1/2 of the vacant lines which might equal around 50... I'm guessing that BXCO works in the bronx (lol) so you will probably not move anywhere...myself on the other hand will probably join you up there as I have the least building seniority and the bx seems to have the most shortages...how do you like it up there? check out the latest http://www.law.com/jsp/nylj/PubArtic...ut_Court_Costs
                              Hey,

Good luck. Please keep me informed about what happens come June 1, 2011.

Comment

• Layoffs Hit Home For NY State Court Workers

BY Celeste Katz

State Office of Court Administration officials confirmed today that pink slips were given to 58 state employees and 16 temporary workers who are routinely used by the court system – the first of hundreds of layoffs the court system likely must undertake.

layoff woman.jpgOur Glenn Blain reports:

“This probably the most difficult thing that we’ve had to do here,” said Judge Larry Marks, administrative director for the OCA.

Marks said the initial job cuts were largely confined to OCA’s administrative offices in Manhattan and Albany.

More layoffs in other areas of the court system will are likely by next month.

“This is just the first step,” Marks said.

The layoffs come after Gov. Cuomo and state lawmakers agreed to the cut the court system’s budget by $170 million – about $70 million more than Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman had proposed.
                                Last edited by Cravan; 04-20-2011, 11:11 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8795 users online. 406 members and 8389 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X