• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unblindeacon View Post
    I think this guy works at beaver st???

lmao...he's a mess!

Comment

• Hello! First time posting a reply on this thread. Took the exam in Oct 2009 with a score of 88.3, rank 50xx, upstate NY JD#4. Worked nine years for the state in juvenile corrections. My facility was closed due the budget cuts of our former governor and now work in security. Contacted OCA about when the canvassing for upstate NY will begin and was informed that there is a hiring freeze for upstate. From what I have read in this forum the hiring process for NYC has not stopped and that is a good sign. The freeze for upstate will not last forever, as soon as the budget passes things will start rolling for upstate. Things have slowed down as who ever passed the exam is now in the "weeding out" process. Realize that about 34,500 passed the test so slowing the hiring process, hiring freezes, delays and DQ's are part of the weeding out. So for those who are waiting have patience, continue to workout and keep your nose clean. Continue to listen to the advice of the court officer vets and retired as they know their stuff and give out sound advice. I have a couple of friends who are court officers and they have told me it is the best job they have ever had and it will be worth the wait.

Comment

• unblindeacon.....OCA press spokesman?

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd57 View Post
          Hello! First time posting a reply on this thread. Took the exam in Oct 2009 with a score of 88.3, rank 50xx, upstate NY JD#4. Worked nine years for the state in juvenile corrections. My facility was closed due the budget cuts of our former governor and now work in security. Contacted OCA about when the canvassing for upstate NY will begin and was informed that there is a hiring freeze for upstate. From what I have read in this forum the hiring process for NYC has not stopped and that is a good sign. The freeze for upstate will not last forever, as soon as the budget passes things will start rolling for upstate. Things have slowed down as who ever passed the exam is now in the "weeding out" process. Realize that about 34,500 passed the test so slowing the hiring process, hiring freezes, delays and DQ's are part of the weeding out. So for those who are waiting have patience, continue to workout and keep your nose clean. Continue to listen to the advice of the court officer vets and retired as they know their stuff and give out sound advice. I have a couple of friends who are court officers and they have told me it is the best job they have ever had and it will be worth the wait.
          Welcome aboard Todd57! I haven't heard of an official hiring freeze but figured it was unofficial until the budget was straightened out.

I have the same score and rank in the mid 5,000s. I am also waiting for upstate districts to start canvassing.

Comment

• So from what I saw the investigators are processing about 25 people a day for background investigations. They also have you answer two psychological exams both roughly 500 questions true/false. Longest test ever.Be prepared to sit around and wait a lot. There has been so many people either eliminated or pushed back for various reasons that ranks in the 900 where some of the first 75 processed. The fingerprinting is easy and painless if there computers are up and running. Also it was explained that if for instance a individual with a rank of 5000 has been completly processed and has been waiting months for appointment. An individual with a lower rank will jump ahead of this person if and when he finally completes all the requirements. Doesnt seem fair maybe but that is what it is. Good luck all

Comment

• Thanks CivilServant14. I didn't take the news of the hiring "freeze" as official as well. Hiring freezes happen all the time with this type of job in the state. Whenever results of a exam comes out for any job in law enforcement these things, among others, come out and you just have to be patient with this process. With my experience with the state once the budget is passed things start rolling quick. All you can do is stay in shape and be ready when your number is called. This is the second time I took the court officer exam. The first time, 2005, I did not do as well and was told to retake the exam in 2009. Even though I passed the first time I was told I will not get canvassed. It motivated me and I studied for the next time and improved much better. Now I was told that I scored high enough to get canvassed and to be patient as the state settles the budget issues. You too will get canvassed, just continue to stay positive and patient.

Comment

• Originally posted by teflondon View Post
                So from what I saw the investigators are processing about 25 people a day for background investigations. They also have you answer two psychological exams both roughly 500 questions true/false. Longest test ever.Be prepared to sit around and wait a lot. There has been so many people either eliminated or pushed back for various reasons that ranks in the 900 where some of the first 75 processed. The fingerprinting is easy and painless if there computers are up and running. Also it was explained that if for instance a individual with a rank of 5000 has been completly processed and has been waiting months for appointment. An individual with a lower rank will jump ahead of this person if and when he finally completes all the requirements. Doesnt seem fair maybe but that is what it is. Good luck all
                Hey,

When did you meet with your investigator? Also, are you being canvassed for NYC?

Comment

• I am being canvassed for Ny and I went to see my investigator yesterday. But they also informed us they dont know when the next class will be. Also for those people that have been delayed dont panic. There are no classes planed for so dont go crazy trying to be the first to get all steps done because you will immediatly jump ahead of everyone when a class is choosen and all your paperwork is completed. I dont expect them to hire anyone until next year the earliest. I could be wrong though

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd57 View Post
                    Hello! First time posting a reply on this thread. Took the exam in Oct 2009 with a score of 88.3, rank 50xx, upstate NY JD#4. Worked nine years for the state in juvenile corrections. My facility was closed due the budget cuts of our former governor and now work in security. Contacted OCA about when the canvassing for upstate NY will begin and was informed that there is a hiring freeze for upstate. From what I have read in this forum the hiring process for NYC has not stopped and that is a good sign. The freeze for upstate will not last forever, as soon as the budget passes things will start rolling for upstate. Things have slowed down as who ever passed the exam is now in the "weeding out" process. Realize that about 34,500 passed the test so slowing the hiring process, hiring freezes, delays and DQ's are part of the weeding out. So for those who are waiting have patience, continue to workout and keep your nose clean. Continue to listen to the advice of the court officer vets and retired as they know their stuff and give out sound advice. I have a couple of friends who are court officers and they have told me it is the best job they have ever had and it will be worth the wait.
                    Did they happen to mention whether the "freeze" was for all upstate or just JD #4?

Comment

• Originally posted by teflondon View Post
                      I am being canvassed for Ny and I went to see my investigator yesterday. But they also informed us they dont know when the next class will be. Also for those people that have been delayed dont panic. There are no classes planed for so dont go crazy trying to be the first to get all steps done because you will immediatly jump ahead of everyone when a class is choosen and all your paperwork is completed. I dont expect them to hire anyone until next year the earliest. I could be wrong though
                      Okay, thanks for the information. I hope things work out for you. I do not believe what OCA tells me anymore about hiring. When I was being canvassed in mid 2008/early 2009 they told me that I will not get into the academy because they did not see a class in the foreseeable future. Then in late 2010 I received a call from OCA asking me if I was still interested in a court officer trainee position. Then, two days before the academy was supposed to start OCA indefinitely postponed the class.

I called OCA today and asked them about what was going on with the court officer hiring process and they stated that they will know after the the April 1, 2011 budget is approved. They told me that a lot of changes are going on in OCA. They told me that even their jobs (administrative jobs) are at stake. They told me that court officer jobs are safe and stable. They stated that they will not be hiring any court assistants.

Comment

• Thats seems like good news Cravan. I kind of figured that the officers were safe-they have to have us to do the job. and the fact that they are saying wait and see for april 1st also seems like a good thing. Lets just keep our fingers crossed and hope that atleast our class goes back in after the new budget.....
                        Test 45-722
                        Rank 21XX
                        was scheduled for january 6th 2011 class that was cancelled

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                          Okay, thanks for the information. I hope things work out for you. I do not believe what OCA tells me anymore about hiring. When I was being canvassed in mid 2008/early 2009 they told me that I will not get into the academy because they did not see a class in the foreseeable future. Then in late 2010 I received a call from OCA asking me if I was still interested in a court officer trainee position. Then, two days before the academy was supposed to start OCA indefinitely postponed the class.

I called OCA today and asked them about what was going on with the court officer hiring process and they stated that they will know after the the April 1, 2011 budget is approved. They told me that a lot of changes are going on in OCA. They told me that even their jobs (administrative jobs) are at stake. They told me that court officer jobs are safe and stable. They stated that they will not be hiring any court assistants.
                          Thanks for the post, Cravan.

i was speaking with a senior court clerk tonight at dinner who shared with me that they will soon be changing the pension plans in the near future. sounds like a transition to 401k's will be happening, with the new tier introduced. if this is the case....hopefully things can move quickly for those awaiting postponed academy and those currently in the process. the pension is what really drew me to the courts....man, oh man. big changes a'comin

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post

Wow! Guess I wasted my time and money on that exam!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mtn29 View Post
                              Thanks for the post, Cravan.

i was speaking with a senior court clerk tonight at dinner who shared with me that they will soon be changing the pension plans in the near future. sounds like a transition to 401k's will be happening, with the new tier introduced. if this is the case....hopefully things can move quickly for those awaiting postponed academy and those currently in the process. the pension is what really drew me to the courts....man, oh man. big changes a'comin
                              Pension and security also attracted me to this job. State and local jobs are being attacked nationwide. I guess it's only fair as the law enforcement and firemen were responsible for this economic recession (sarcasm here).

Comment

• dbackrocks02- I was told all of upstate is in a freeze, not just JD#4. This news however is not longterm and most likely the canvassing will start for upstate as soon as the budget passes after April 1st. With NYC still going through the hiring process, that right there will tell you that the hiring freeze is temporary for upstate. When you get employed with the state you hear about hiring freezes all the time especially when a new budget is being proposed. As soon as the budget is passed the hiring and canvassing starts right back up. The good news is that the court officer jobs are not on the chopping block and that should make this process a little easier for everyone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3743 users online. 233 members and 3510 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X