300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
    Here's another article that talks about a hiring freeze...I hope this doesn't happen. All of a sudden the OCA has decided to retract from its previous hard line stance. What happened? Did Cuomo have a one on one with Lippman?

Courts Budget

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) New York's judiciary has proposed trimming its budget by $100 million following criticism by Gov. Andrew Cuomo that its $2.7 billion spending plan for the upcoming fiscal year didn't cut deeply enough.

Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman says Wednesday administrators will propose more cuts despite record caseloads related to a troubled economy, more foreclosures, evictions and other cases, and judges who haven't had raises in 13 years.

The harsher measures may include a hiring freeze, possible layoffs and cutting aid to local courts.

A commission will review possible pay raises for the 1,300 state-level judges.

Lippman says major long-term savings could come from mandatory electronic filing of court documents and consolidating New York's 11 trial courts.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Judges can wait longer for their pay raises. Judges make well over $100,000 per year. The consolidating of New York's 11 trial courts might lessen the need for more court officers.

Comment

• Not that I'm a big fan of judges, but they haven't had a raise in 12 years.
      RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• Looking good does not matter here. Courts must be kept open. Back office personnel, i.e. court analysts, court planners can be dropped without impacting operations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
          Looking good does not matter here. Courts must be kept open. Back office personnel, i.e. court analysts, court planners can be dropped without impacting operations.
          Does that include Court Assistants? Are they considered non-essential? I am currently waiting on my CA results.

Comment

Looking good does not matter here. Courts must be kept open. Back office personnel, i.e. court analysts, court planners can be dropped without impacting operations.
            But the thing that worries me the most is the fact that Lippman stated that there might be a hard hiring freeze.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
              Does that include Court Assistants? Are they considered non-essential? I am currently waiting on my CA results.
              I assume that court assistants are not that essential. I could be wrong.

Comment

• theyre still scheduling full meds...

Comment

• I know city and state are different but I work for the city health and hospital corp and wealso are in a hiring freeze but we need to make sure we can fuctin so essitial parts to the operation are hired for . They petty things are not hired forfor example clerks are not hired for but nurses, and revenue departments are also hired for. also hospital protection is also hired for

Comment

• speaking striclty opinion here-Im thinking, due to heightened security (homeland sec/terrorist threat awareness) CO lines would not be put on the chopping board. If the courts plan to keep on accomodating the civilians of New York, and the same ammount of bodies are moving in and out of each court house they wont be able to risk being short handed...just my thought though.

Comment

• hey cravan, my understanding is, it was a job that was created not too long ago. they probably will do without it....but we wont know until we know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mtn29 View Post
                        hey cravan, my understanding is, it was a job that was created not too long ago. they probably will do without it....but we wont know until we know.
                        Are you referring to Court Assistants?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mtn29 View Post
                          speaking striclty opinion here-Im thinking, due to heightened security (homeland sec/terrorist threat awareness) CO lines would not be put on the chopping board. If the courts plan to keep on accomodating the civilians of New York, and the same ammount of bodies are moving in and out of each court house they wont be able to risk being short handed...just my thought though.
                          That crossed my mind as well but we won't know for sure until the budget is finalized. I feel for all you future COs that were in the canceled class. Hopefully at least they get you guys in this year!

Comment

• Hey Civil, yes im referring to the court assistant. again, its just my thought, and I could be wrong.

Comment

• The Court Assistant title is a decendant of the old Assistant Court Clerk title. They perform an operational function in the lower courts. Their numbers could be in jeopardy when OCA fully implements electronic filing. A hard hiring freeze may have some soft spots. Just don't look for an academy class immediately after a budget is passed.
                              Last edited by Dinosaur32; 03-07-2011, 12:11 AM.

Comment

The Court Assistant title is a dendant of the old Assistant Court Clerk title. They perform an operational function in the lower courts. Their numbers could be in jeopardy when OCA fully implements electronic filing. A hard hiring freeze may have some soft spots. Just don't look for an academy class immediately after a budget is passed.
                                Thank you for the input! I was thinking the same about the future of the CA position with more technology and such. One thing technology will never replace is the need for security.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16801 users online. 465 members and 16336 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X