Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYS Court Officers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You guys might not be considered "new" hires. Your not additional lines, your just replacements...also there is a rumor circulating of another buyout...keep your heads up...if i get any concrete info I'll pass it along. And not for nothing but staffing shortfalls are a reality...there are some buildings were sick days are the only way to get a day off...no AL/PTP/COMP approved
    Last edited by unblindeacon; 02-21-2011, 08:28 AM.
    http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
    NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

    Comment


    • Originally posted by unblindeacon View Post
      You guys might not be considered "new" hires. Your not additional lines, your just replacements...also there is a rumor circulating of another buyout...keep your heads up...if i get any concrete info I'll pass it along. And not for nothing but staffing shortfalls are a reality...there are some buildings were sick days are the only way to get a day off...no AL/PTP/COMP approved
      Hey,

      Thanks for the information. I thought we were considered new hires. The Newsday article stated that there will be no new hires even though the OCA has a 10% vacancy rate.

      "With caseloads rising, Lippman's proposed budget includes no new hiring,despite vacancies approaching 10 percent."

      Comment


      • As unblindeacon stated you might not be new hires. OCA's definition may not match the Gov's. And new hires might mean only certain titles not others. As I stated, smoke and mirrors.

        Comment


        • Thanks for the info Dinosaur. I guess we will have to wait and see.

          Comment


          • Hey everyone,

            I did some research and found the (state of the judiciary address) that was given by chief judge Lippman on 2/15/11. I read through it and did not see anything about no new hires in the budget. Read for yourself people and let me know if I am wrong.

            http://www.courts.state.ny.us/admin/...y/SOJ-2011.pdf

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Cravan View Post
              Hey everyone,

              I did some research and found the (state of the judiciary address) that was given by chief judge Lippman on 2/15/11. I read through it and did not see anything about no new hires in the budget. Read for yourself people and let me know if I am wrong.

              http://www.courts.state.ny.us/admin/...y/SOJ-2011.pdf
              Hopefully for you guys once this mess is cleared up you'll get that call. I guess we all have to wait at least until April 1st.
              Stay positive and in shape!

              Comment


              • I agree that we have to positive. OCA is still calling and processing candidates so that's a good sign.
                To you guys that answered my questions about the vision, thanks. Are the vision exams done in the pre-med and the full med the same thing? Same exact process or is the vison exam during the full med more detailed? Thanks, again.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by KAYNYC View Post
                  I agree that we have to positive. OCA is still calling and processing candidates so that's a good sign.
                  To you guys that answered my questions about the vision, thanks. Are the vision exams done in the pre-med and the full med the same thing? Same exact process or is the vison exam during the full med more detailed? Thanks, again.
                  They test your vision both times, as well as at the pre-appointment medical. The test is the same. Read lines from the machine and the colorblind test.

                  Comment


                  • I don't think anyhting is going to change. They cancelled the class in Jan, and those poor guys were from 2005. Even if they call another class, how many are they going to hire 200, 300 maybe. And the yesr after that 200, 300, ok, maybe 500.

                    I heard they only put two classes through last year, and than the economy was not as bad as it is now.

                    I am in the same boat as you guys, but think maybe our time has passed. A couple of years ago, was a different story, if you had a good grade, you could expect to be called. I got like 95, and am in the 1400's, if its 200 a year, what is that like 7 yrs to wait to be called??

                    Than there is all these tests, the weight requirments, are insane, and totally unrealistic, than how every month another test to just wait to be called..??

                    I guess is you are in you twenties, and can hang on, maybe in a couple of years, you might get called. I heard the odds are one out of ten, make it through the whole process to become a court officer. Now keep in mind that was than, now it may be 10 0ut of 1,000.

                    But there are no guarantees, and the way that the state is calling for budget cut back, something like 10% of the overall staff is getting laid off.. not good.

                    I would keep working my 9 to 5, or whatever job you have, try and save soem money, becuase 39k isn't enough to eat on, and if it happens, ohh well..

                    good luck..

                    Comment


                    • Your rank is a small part of the process. Then it is your rank compared to the ranks in the district that you applied for.
                      After that it isn't competition with others as much as it is about how you respond to the physical/ doctor stuff, how you "show" to the investigators and subsequent steps.
                      We have on this forum heard about the 2005 test takers who were supposed to start this January (5+ years of processing) but there were plenty of people canvassed from that test who were hired in 2007-2010.
                      Those of us who took the 2009 test and are lucky enough to go through the process and get hired swiftly will be looking at an approximately 2 year wait total time. Since the test expires every 4 years, there will be plenty of opportunity for those who scored competitively through 2015.

                      During these years people are disqualified, get jobs they want to stay in, etc.

                      Civil Services jobs aren't for the faint of heart. You have to put in effort to get one and the longterm rewards for worth it.
                      40K a year might not sound great for you but I am making 50k a year and would happily take the pay cut for the job security, benefits, and pension

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Led71 View Post
                        I don't think anyhting is going to change. They cancelled the class in Jan, and those poor guys were from 2005. Even if they call another class, how many are they going to hire 200, 300 maybe. And the yesr after that 200, 300, ok, maybe 500.

                        I heard they only put two classes through last year, and than the economy was not as bad as it is now.

                        I am in the same boat as you guys, but think maybe our time has passed. A couple of years ago, was a different story, if you had a good grade, you could expect to be called. I got like 95, and am in the 1400's, if its 200 a year, what is that like 7 yrs to wait to be called??

                        Than there is all these tests, the weight requirments, are insane, and totally unrealistic, than how every month another test to just wait to be called..??

                        I guess is you are in you twenties, and can hang on, maybe in a couple of years, you might get called. I heard the odds are one out of ten, make it through the whole process to become a court officer. Now keep in mind that was than, now it may be 10 0ut of 1,000.

                        But there are no guarantees, and the way that the state is calling for budget cut back, something like 10% of the overall staff is getting laid off.. not good.

                        I would keep working my 9 to 5, or whatever job you have, try and save soem money, becuase 39k isn't enough to eat on, and if it happens, ohh well..

                        good luck..

                        Hey,

                        You make some good points, but you have to stay positive. I was supposed to get in the Jan 2011 academy and then it got postponed, not cancelled. Trainees who were supposed to get in the Jan 2011 class are lucky, because we did not think that we were going to be considered for the job, because of the bad economy. My investigator told me to take the 2009 exam, and I did, just to be on the safe side, because he did not think that I was going to get called for a class off the 2005 exam.

                        The hiring process could be long and unpredictable, but it could also be quick. There are people from the 2005 exam who got the job a year after the exam was given. The bad economy has affected all types of job industries.

                        You have to be fairly patient when trying to obtain law enforcement employment.

                        In regards to the starting salary, that is exactly what it is, starting. $39,771 plus $3697 location pay equals $43, 468. You also have to factor in about $1200 uniform pay. After you reach top pay, you will be making well over $70,000 per year with great benefits, stability, and pension.

                        I was making $50,000 per year at my old job and I left, because I looked toward the future. Even though I was left unemployed by the OCA, I am positive that things will fall in place and the wait will be worth it.

                        The judicial branch will not cut 10% out of their budget because they would be crippled. The courts are stretched so thin at the current moment.

                        Word of advice, if you get called for a court officer trainee job, do not quit your job until after you are sworn in.
                        Last edited by Cravan; 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM.

                        Comment


                        • got my letter to go in for my pre screen med in the next few weeks....thats a positive note, eh? theyre still dending out letters and moving along it seems.

                          Comment


                          • Has anyone been canvased for Suffolk County yet? And if so how far along are you?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by East End View Post
                              Has anyone been canvased for Suffolk County yet? And if so how far along are you?
                              I believe that Suffolk had sent out some canvass letters in December ... I would love to get one of those ...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by East End View Post
                                Has anyone been canvased for Suffolk County yet? And if so how far along are you?
                                I was originally canvassed for NYC in November, which I accepted. In december I received a letter from OCA giving me the opportunity to switch my choice to Suffolk, which I did. I have my PAT on Monday. I believe there are Suffolk candidates who have completed the PAT and are in the background process, at least going by the posts here. I failed the first weigh in, which is why I am behind.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6426 users online. 259 members and 6167 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X