Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CNY Lee View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to the board but have been reading all the post. I'm near the Syracuse area and also took the test in Oct of 2009 and scored a 42xx and was wonder if anyone from my area has gotten a canvas letter yet for the Central NY area.

Thanks
    Lee
    Hey Lee,
    My ranking is 42xx also ... I chose all of downstate and the 3rd, 6th, and 9th JD's as location preferences ... hopefully we will get a chance !

Comment

• Originally posted by jamco7 View Post
      hey everyone,
      this is for people who did there PA test already. Just wondering when we do the PA test, do we also do the written psych test the same day. thanks
      I took the PA today. No psych test. About 2 hours filling out some paperwork and getting infomation about the whole process. Also a speech from the Cheif. Then about 2 hours to take the test. A lot of rest in between each part and you're gonna need it.

Comment

• I went on the nys court website and search judiciary budget and the report is out. But it over 400 pages and i dont have the time to read it yet hear is the link if someone has time to read it and post how it looks . i tok a peak and to meat it didnt look bad but i didnt ready the whole thing. link is below post if you see anything good in there

http://www.nycourts.gov/admin/financ...udSection2.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by Monkeyboy49 View Post
          Hey Lee,
          My ranking is 42xx also ... I chose all of downstate and the 3rd, 6th, and 9th JD's as location preferences ... hopefully we will get a chance !
          Hi Monkeyboy49,
          I've been reading a lot of the post and it seems most everyone is going for the NYC area's, I figured with a score of 42xx that I would have a good chance in 5th JD. Good luck and fingers crossed, it seems like a great opportunity when and if it knocks.

Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by angelo3456 View Post
            I went on the nys court website and search judiciary budget and the report is out. But it over 400 pages and i dont have the time to read it yet hear is the link if someone has time to read it and post how it looks . i tok a peak and to meat it didnt look bad but i didnt ready the whole thing. link is below post if you see anything good in there

Hey Angelo,

Thanks for posting the new budget request. I read through it but it gave me a headache. I am not sure if the new budget is going help or hurt us.

Comment

• Interesting update on the budget and how it may affect the judiciary branch:
              http://www.law.com/jsp/nylj/PubArtic...n=1&hbxlogin=1

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                Interesting update on the budget and how it may affect the judiciary branch:
                http://www.law.com/jsp/nylj/PubArtic...n=1&hbxlogin=1
                i read through this and unless we can actually see what is written into the budget we wont have any idea if it helps or hurts. I am going to say we will need to wait till March 1st to see. It shows an increase in spending but does not touch much on where that money is allotted.

"The governor was obligated to submit the Judiciary's budget as written. But he and the Legislature are free to alter the proposal. With that possibility in mind, the court system last week imposed new restrictions on hiring that authorize the filling of vacancies only when there is a "compelling" need (NYLJ, Jan. 26)."
                This is fine as long as they feel that the 75 of us are "compellingly" needed which most of us are pretty sure is the case from what Ive been hearing.

"Mr. Cuomo noted that he had asked executive branch agencies under his control to trim spending by an average of 10 percent. The budget includes up to 9,800 layoffs; the courts have not projected any layoffs."
                And this is good because it shows "NO Lay off's". So now we sit and wait with all our fingers crossed to see where we go from here.
                I am disappointed though because if the class is not called soon we will be Forced to re-do our final physicals prior to being accepted to the class.
                Test 45-722
                Rank 21XX
                was scheduled for january 6th 2011 class that was cancelled

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureCtOfr View Post
                  i read through this and unless we can actually see what is written into the budget we wont have any idea if it helps or hurts. I am going to say we will need to wait till March 1st to see. It shows an increase in spending but does not touch much on where that money is allotted.
                  I agree, although I believe the deadline is March 31st and it could drag on longer. The good news is no projected layoffs and an increase in spending by the OCA which may indicate the need for more employees. I read somewhere else that 95% of their budget goes towards personnel. The other positive is the last budget proposal was submitted w/o changes by Paterson and that budget had a greater increase in spending. We will see, but I am more optimistic after reading this article.

Comment

• Originally posted by angelo3456 View Post
                    I went on the nys court website and search judiciary budget and the report is out. But it over 400 pages and i dont have the time to read it yet hear is the link if someone has time to read it and post how it looks . i tok a peak and to meat it didnt look bad but i didnt ready the whole thing. link is below post if you see anything good in there

Hey,

I see that this budget was submitted in December 2010.

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureCtOfr View Post

"The governor was obligated to submit the Judiciary's budget as written. But he and the Legislature are free to alter the proposal. With that possibility in mind, the court system last week imposed new restrictions on hiring that authorize the filling of vacancies only when there is a "compelling" need (NYLJ, Jan. 26)."
                      This is fine as long as they feel that the 75 of us are "compellingly" needed which most of us are pretty sure is the case from what Ive been hearing.

"Mr. Cuomo noted that he had asked executive branch agencies under his control to trim spending by an average of 10 percent. The budget includes up to 9,800 layoffs; the courts have not projected any layoffs."
                      And this is good because it shows "NO Lay off's". So now we sit and wait with all our fingers crossed to see where we go from here.
                      I am disappointed though because if the class is not called soon we will be Forced to re-do our final physicals prior to being accepted to the class.
                      Hey,

I thought our class was going to have 50 court officer trainees. Also, our last step is the pre-hire medical examination. We just have to wait and see what happens with the hiring process. I think things are going to be okay for us because they are still canvassing candidates from the 2009 exam in a normal manner.

Comment

• Check out this article people. It seems that the OCA will start hiring again after the budget is approved on April 1, 2011.

Cuomo Urges Judiciary to Reduce Spending

Joel Stashenko

New York Law Journal

February 02, 2011

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo called for a 2.7 spending decrease in his 2011-2012 budget proposal announced yesterday in Albany.
                        AP/Mike Groll

ALBANY - Governor Andrew M. Cuomo criticized the state's Judiciary yesterday for "not participating" in his efforts to close a $10 billion gap in the 2011-12 state budget.

"I respectfully ask the Judicial Branch to reduce its spending while continuing to serve those who seek justice," Mr. Cuomo said in a brief message accompanying the submission of his $132.9 billion spending plan to the Legislature.

Mr. Cuomo's plan would reduce overall state spending by 2.7 percent—the first proposed reduction by a governor in 15 years.

Meanwhile, court administrators have offered a $2.7 billion budget for the year that begins April 1, a 1.7 percent increase over the amount projected for this year (NYLJ, Dec. 2, 2010).

Mr. Cuomo noted that he had asked executive branch agencies under his control to trim spending by an average of 10 percent. The budget includes up to 9,800 layoffs; the courts have not projected any layoffs.

The governor was obligated to submit the Judiciary's budget as written. But he and the Legislature are free to alter the proposal. With that possibility in mind, the court system last week imposed new restrictions on hiring that authorize the filling of vacancies only when there is a "compelling" need (NYLJ, Jan. 26).

Court officials insist they have worked hard to trim costs, blaming their $50 million budget increase on salary and pension expenses mandated by labor contracts and state law.

"We recognize that everybody is going to have to sacrifice, but also we have a constitutional role to fulfill," Chief Administrative Judge Ann Pfau said in an interview after the governor's presentation.

She said that further economies are not out of the question but reductions of 10 percent would cripple the courts.

"That would really affect our ability to function," she said.

Judge Pfau said the courts are doing their part by, among other things, suspending the filling of non-judicial vacancies created by an early retirement program at least until the state budget is approved.

"We will continue to belt-tighten," she said.

Samuel W. Seymour, president of the New York City Bar, said in a statement after the governor's presentation that state courts have been "pushed to the brink" in trying to dispense justice despite the recession.

"To address this crisis, the Judiciary 2011-2012 budget provides funding for basic access to justice in cases involving fundamental human needs, including for low-income litigants," Mr. Seymour said. "The city bar urges the Legislature to enact the Judiciary's proposed 2011-2012 budget in its entirety."

A centerpiece proposal of the Judiciary budget is a $25 million allocation to better fund civil legal services for the poor. The funding would be the first increase in an allotment that would grow to $100 million a year in four years under a plan advocated by Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman to improve "access to justice" for those on the bottom rung of the economic ladder.

The New York State Bar Association also has endorsed the Judiciary's budget.

While pointed, Mr. Cuomo's criticism of the Judiciary's budget was mild compared to Governor David A. Paterson's critique of the Judiciary's 2010-11 budget.

"The Judiciary must accept that each branch of government can no longer conduct 'business as usual,' and that all branches share an obligation to taxpayers to restructure government in light of the state's new fiscal reality," Mr. Paterson said at the time.

The Judiciary last year proposed a 7.4 percent increase in its budget for the 2010-11 fiscal year (NYLJ, Dec. 3, 2009). In the end, the Legislature approved the court system's budget largely as proposed.

Mr. Cuomo's budget includes a reduction in prison cells and the consolidation of 11 government agencies. It calls for no new state taxes but for cuts in state aid to local schools, Medicaid and state and city universities.

He also proposes closing juvenile justice facilities following a "careful analysis" of vacancy rates, availability of community services for youth and other factors.

Mr. Cuomo's budget proposes saving $22 million out of the $3.7 billion budget for the Office of Children and Family Services, which operates the residential programs for juvenile delinquents and juvenile offenders. The spending plan would eliminate 376 beds and 371 salaried positions within the agency. Currently, only 648 youth live in facilities that have 1,300 beds.

Mr. Cuomo also advocated the abandonment of the requirement that communities housing prisons and youth facilities receive one-year notices of pending facility closures. He said he favored giving each community losing a facility a $10 million payment to help compensate for their loses.

@|Joel Stashenko can be contacted at [email protected].

Comment

• Originally posted by Dbon View Post
                          I took the PA today. No psych test. About 2 hours filling out some paperwork and getting infomation about the whole process. Also a speech from the Cheif. Then about 2 hours to take the test. A lot of rest in between each part and you're gonna need it.
                          Hey Dbon,
                          Did you wear a suit there, and then change into shorts/sneakers/etc? What was the paperwork like? I have my PAT on the 8th...Any info you can give would help...I'm in pretty good shape, how difficult was it?

Comment

• Originally posted by buntysoap View Post
                            Hey Dbon,
                            Did you wear a suit there, and then change into shorts/sneakers/etc? What was the paperwork like? I have my PAT on the 8th...Any info you can give would help...I'm in pretty good shape, how difficult was it?
                            You do not need to wear a suit there. I had my test in January and no one was dressed in business attire. If you feel you must dress in business attire, they will tell you to change in the bathroom when you get there. The sheet of paper they gave you after you passed the full medical states that you should dress in athletic clothing. The paperwork is basic personal info, nothing new. They go over a lot of future paperwork that you will need to fill out if you pass the PA test. Bring a pen. Also, bring something to drink during the test. The test is challenging but if you are in good shape you should be okay. You will be surprisingly tired at the end.

Comment

• I agree with Kannons.

Comment

• PA test was what I expected though they do run you around everything one after another. You are still breathing hard when starting the next test.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7228 users online. 386 members and 6842 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X