300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kannons610 View Post
    I was pretty disappointed when I hit it four times. I'll find out on Friday how I did.
    If you are sure that you only hit the ring four times, that means you passed that part of the test. To be able to pass the arm/hand steadiness you must NOT hit the ring more than 20 times. Good luck to all the people here doing their Physical Agility test.
    Exam 2005/ 45-722
    Pre-Appointment Medical-Passed on 11/29/2010
    Candidate for Jan. 2011 Academy

Comment

• Originally posted by angelo3456 View Post
      About 190 new court officers took their posts last week after graduating from court training academies. But that is not enough to fill the gap left by the retirement of 262 officers, and Judge Marks said that an additional training class is being "seriously considered."
      According to Michael DiMaggio, the chief clerk for criminal cases in Manhattan Supreme Court, his court will have 17 fewer court officers as of Monday.
      Twenty-seven officers have taken early retirement and another 10 have opted to transfer to courts closer to their homes on Long Island to fill the positions of those who took early retirement, Mr. DiMaggio reported. Only 20 of the vacancies are being filled with new officers.
      "It's a challenge, but we will deal with it," said Acting Justice Michael J. Obus, the administrative judge for criminal cases in Manhattan.
      Judge Marks said, "We're going to have to be much more flexible than we are now" in the deployment of security personnel.
      He noted that the court system has "aspirational" guidelines that call for the assignment of a sergeant and three officers to all felony trials. Those guidelines will be maintained for violent felonies, he said, but security would not be compromised by assigning three or even two officers to many trials of nonviolent defendants who are free on bail.
      John Strandberg, the president of the New York State Supreme Court Officers Association, responded that any deviation from the guidelines is "not smart." The guidelines "have been developed over the last 100 years," he said, "to deal with the inherent dangers in criminal courtrooms."
      'Biggest Challenge'
      Thanks for posting this article Angelo. I think it's somewhat of a good news.

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
      I noticed that nothing was said about not filling empty judge spots. As long as there are judges, there has to be Court Officers.
      I really hope so, Dinosaur32!
      Exam 2005/ 45-722

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
        There are few on the job in the Courts today who remember the fiscal crisis of the 70's. At that time there was a serious threat to layoff Court Officers. The unions stood together and pointed out the number of non-security personnel in OCA that should go first. There are similar numbers today in the non-uniformed ranks that should go before any uniforms. I would doubt there will be a class before a budget is finalized, or at least before the Chief Judge knows how much money he has to work with. I noticed that nothing was said about not filling empty judge spots. As long as there are judges, there has to be Court Officers.
        Hey Dinosaur,

Do you know when the Chief Judge will receive a budget and finalize it?

Comment

• Originally posted by jontot View Post
          If you are sure that you only hit the ring four times, that means you passed that part of the test. To be able to pass the arm/hand steadiness you must NOT hit the ring more than 20 times. Good luck to all the people here doing their Physical Agility test.
          I am positive as I saw my score sheet at the end of the testing day. Thank you for your information. I appreciate it.

Comment

I am positive as I saw my score sheet at the end of the testing day. Thank you for your information. I appreciate it.
            I've read you're tested on a "hand bike". Is this the same machines you find in the gym? Can anyone describe this machine?
            And is the arm/hand steadiness always performed right after this test?

Comment

• Received a letter today to report on Feb 3rd for full medical...glad to see the process is continuing!

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                I've read you're tested on a "hand bike". Is this the same machines you find in the gym? Can anyone describe this machine?
                The hand bike is exactly the one pictured on the court's "Physical Ability test" website. (http://www.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/...ity-test.shtml) When i took the test on Friday there were about 50 of us. There was about one to two hours of talk and paperwork before the test itself. It was in a classroom setting with desks. Every other row either took the entire test in one of two ways. What I mean is that the eight different exercises were put into two different orders and half of the people took the test one way and the other half the other way. I know my way the arm-hand steadiness test was after the bike test. I do not know the other way. Unfortunately, in order to do your best on the arm-hand steadiness it should be the first thing you do, which it won't be.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                  http://www.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/...ity-test.shtml

As far as the hand bike it's the second one on the list you can click on the picture to make it bigger. If they follow the steps listed on the website the arm steadiness test is done next to last.
                  Bridge and Tunnel Officer, Exam No. 5606

Comment

• Hows everyone doing?

I had my 2nd medical this past Thursday 1/20...Now my physical is on 2/8.

I was wondering, are you required to show up in business attire? I wasn't dressed like a slob for the med, but I felt stupid meeting a sgt and other officials at end of my medical in causal wear. Had I know, I would have worn a shirt w/tie.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                      Hey,

I hit the ring several times. I thought I failed the physical because of this but I did not. That was the toughest part of the exam for me.
                      Congrats on passing! How many situps did you do? does anyone know the minimum number required?

Comment

The hand bike is exactly the one pictured on the court's "Physical Ability test" website. (http://www.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/...ity-test.shtml) When i took the test on Friday there were about 50 of us. There was about one to two hours of talk and paperwork before the test itself. It was in a classroom setting with desks. Every other row either took the entire test in one of two ways. What I mean is that the eight different exercises were put into two different orders and half of the people took the test one way and the other half the other way. I know my way the arm-hand steadiness test was after the bike test. I do not know the other way. Unfortunately, in order to do your best on the arm-hand steadiness it should be the first thing you do, which it won't be.
                        Thanks Kannons and Krull....I usually check out their site before asking questions...just didn't recall seeing the pics.

Comment

• Originally posted by buntysoap View Post
                          Hows everyone doing?

I had my 2nd medical this past Thursday 1/20...Now my physical is on 2/8.

I was wondering, are you required to show up in business attire? I wasn't dressed like a slob for the med, but I felt stupid meeting a sgt and other officials at end of my medical in causal wear. Had I know, I would have worn a shirt w/tie.

Thanks
                          They should have given you a paper after the full medical which states that you should dress in athletic clothing. I just had mine on Friday and no one showed up in business attire. Mostly everyone was in shorts or sweats and a few people wore jeans and changed in the bathroom. Don't forget to bring a pen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                            Hey,

Thanks for posting the article. When was this article written?
                            November2010 http://www.law.com/jsp/nylj/PubArtic...=1202475230386

Comment

• Originally posted by glenmoss View Post
                              yikes! This was published Nov. 2010, way, way before they postponed our Jan. 2011 class.
                              Exam 2005/ 45-722

Comment

How big was the hole that you have to stay steady in?

Is anyone else going in for their physical ability test on the 2nd of Feb?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8377 users online. 385 members and 7992 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X