Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here you go for anyone wanting to figure out retirement....

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/me...ur-pension.htm

click on the benefit projector calculator at the bottom of the page..
    "It is not a measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" -Jiddu Krishnamurti -

Comment

Can any other Court officers tell me the name,address or phone # of the company that supplies our body armor with all printing & patches on the carriers?? Its going to be a longgggggg time before we are supplied with any here upstate & if the price is right, I might consider buying my own....thank you

Comment

Originally posted by courtcop64 View Post
        Can any other Court officers tell me the name,address or phone # of the company that supplies our body armor with all printing & patches on the carriers?? Its going to be a longgggggg time before we are supplied with any here upstate & if the price is right, I might consider buying my own....thank you
        I have no idea. I was fitted in the academy over a year ago and have not received anything yet. There was some buzz about getting the vests in shortly after the Las Vegas Courthouse shooting, but so far that hasn't materialized into anything. Be careful with buying your own, as I was told that we are forbidden from doing that due to contract issues. For a brief period we were being told that we were no longer being supplied with vests (despite being guaranteed them in the union contract) and that we would be given a list of approved vests to purchase on our own. That changed very quickly when the union reps caught wind of it. Now we are back to not being allowed to buy our own.

The moral of the story...If you buy your own vest, get shot, and don't die, you will likely be terminated for wearing unapproved body armor.

Comment

i bought my own, Galls level III lightweight. since my job or union , which i pay dues for unknown reasons will not supply me. God forbid i get shot, at least i'll hopefully be safe. last thing i'm worried about is being terminated for wearing the wrong vest.

Comment

Courtcop64 or Fuerza anyword on one academy for all recruits. I know there was talk of building an academy in brooklyn or upstate in Albany near the state police and state corrections academy. Sounds funny NYS Unified Courts. Different unions, guys upstate cant execute bench warrants but guys in the lower districts can but we all get the same training. It should be unified with one academy and I do believe state court officers will get police status. The job has changed since my one brother in law got on back in 2000. Funny he took the test I believe in 98' and was on the job in 2000. Once he got called to start the process it took him 7 months and was in an academy 2 months after he completed the process. My other brother in law took the 2002 test and scored i believe an 84 was called in January of 05' to start the process and was in the Sept. 05 academy. Amazing how slow things are moving now and I know the state has its finacial woes as well but what i here from them, its so short staffed down on the island and they are working alot of OT. How about you guys upstate?

Comment

What you guys are facing now is nothing compared to the '70s. Back then there was no OCA. Each JD was a fiefdom and there was little interaction between them. Each App Div had a Chief Court Officer. In the Supreme Court shield numbers were repeated in each. The courts were run by a board made up of the PJs of the App Divs headed by the Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals (it still exists). In the '70s, the PJs ceded much of their power to the Administrator (a civilian) or Chief Administrative Judge (whichever was appointed). OCA arose out of this shifting of power. The job now is light years ahead in terms of unification than where it was 30 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bluflu379 View Post
                Courtcop64 or Fuerza anyword on one academy for all recruits. I know there was talk of building an academy in brooklyn or upstate in Albany near the state police and state corrections academy. Sounds funny NYS Unified Courts. Different unions, guys upstate cant execute bench warrants but guys in the lower districts can but we all get the same training. It should be unified with one academy and I do believe state court officers will get police status. The job has changed since my one brother in law got on back in 2000. Funny he took the test I believe in 98' and was on the job in 2000. Once he got called to start the process it took him 7 months and was in an academy 2 months after he completed the process. My other brother in law took the 2002 test and scored i believe an 84 was called in January of 05' to start the process and was in the Sept. 05 academy. Amazing how slow things are moving now and I know the state has its finacial woes as well but what i here from them, its so short staffed down on the island and they are working alot of OT. How about you guys upstate?
                From what I've heard they are still planning on two (possibly residential)academies, one in Brooklyn and one in Saratoga. Beyond that I'm not sure, but I've heard rumors that the academy will be increasing to 24 or 26 weeks.

We are so short staffed up here that some officers haven't had a lunch in months. Makes for a decent paycheck though.

Comment

Hello Bluflu379,

All I've heard with the academy is that they were building a new one in Albany and in NYC they were going to buy the old NYPD academy once NYPD builds their new one.
                  Even though we're all NYS Court Officers, it seems like two diiferent worlds between upstate & downstate officers. Down state they have SRT, MSP, different unions, downstate can act on warrants. where I'am upstate SRT is barely getting off the ground, probablty will never see MSP, right now we can't act on a warrant, our union is CSEA.
                  The state took us over in 2006 & alot of the problems I think is just politics between OCA and our local supervision, we all worked for the county before the State came in.
                  Its a Great job!!! but the red tape & politics keep getting in the way, hopefully it would change if we ever get police status, but don't see that happening with that "moron" Paterson as Gov!!!

Comment

Last I heard.......no plan top buy the old NYPD Academy. Plans being worked on for Academy in Brooklyn and upstate. A lot of politics went into siting the downstate Academy in Kings. Bonds have already been authorized to pay for it.

Comment

• Dinosaur32, if I remember correctly, you retired from the job, in your opinion.....what do see in the future of courtofficers?? things only getting better or worse, police status,the academy...etc
                      I've only been on the job 8 years (5 of those working for the county) before the State took us over.

anybody here any good news for upstate JD's??

Comment

• Weigh In

Was wondering if anyone has any idea about going back to get weighed again. I went on January 5th. I was 27 lbs. over weight for my height. I was told to call back in February and that I would be given a date in March to come back. The person I was told to call never answers their line. I called the person it said to call for immediate assistance. I was told that at this time there are no dates scheduled in March to come back, and if there aren't, that my "process is done at that point". I have lost the weight, and was just wondering if anyone knew what determines if I will have the chance to come back. I am assuming it is if they realize they don't have enough people who were at the right weight or that do or don't qualify for whatever reason. Losing 27 lbs. in a month was not easy, but I did it, and really want to continue the process of becoming a court officer. So, in sum, sorry for the long post, but again, was just wondering if anyone had any insight, or relevant past experience.

Thanks

Comment

• Good job on losing the weight and 27 pounds is not easy at all. You will not continue in the process until you go back and pass the pre-medical. They will call you back and this time you will pass and move on to your medical and as long as you pass each step you will continue in the process. Good luck!!!

Comment

• Courtcop....It will take time....everything that has to do with OCA does. I ran for union office in the '70s with James Hannon. He was president of the SCOA and set the wheels in motion (slowly, of course) for the expansion of Court Officers outside of NYC. One point I would push, is that you Officers in the upstate district should be busting your buts to get out of CSEA and into the SCOA. I say the SCOA because that union already covers the 9Th JD. Getting out of CSEA would be a good start toward full parity with downstate Officers. The Academies will be built. Police Status is still a possibility. PM me if you have other questions that might not be best answered in a public forum.

Comment

• Thank you for the response Dinosaur32, I will PM you

Comment

• Courtcop64 and Dinosaur32

I was just looking at the 2010-2011 budget and I see they have in there 33 million for the purchase of a training academy in Kings County with another 12 million for upgrades to the building and 2 other court houses. Hopefully they will hire alot of officers to train there. Amazing how much there is in the budget. 550 plus pages...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8708 users online. 434 members and 8274 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X