300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by isler45 View Post
    When I went the head nurse mentioned they had about 80 people to do that day. I was one of the first 10 for the day and it took me about 3 hours. A big part of that time was having to go to a radiology place to get my chest xray. For some reason it is not done on site at the Hanson place location. I guess things can vary a lot depending on location and the amount of people scheduled that day. I am scheduled for the physical test at the end of the month now. That is located in lower Manhattan.
    Did they give your date for the physical at the medical or by mail? I took the full medical in albany last month and was told I would be notifyed but no word yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by mfriguy View Post
      Did they give your date for the physical at the medical or by mail? I took the full medical in albany last month and was told I would be notifyed but no word yet?
      I took the full medical in Manhattan and was given a date for the physical ability test that day.

Comment

• You would think if 1800 or so people took the early retirement they would really need to fill many of those positions quickly. One of the articles posted on an earlier page said it was almost 12% of the employees that retired. Hopefully the new governor just wants to go over things before they are approved and this is just a small hold up. It seemed to me like the process was moving so quick. I thought I was going to get in quickly if I passed everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by isler45 View Post
          You would think if 1800 or so people took the early retirement they would really need to fill many of those positions quickly. One of the articles posted on an earlier page said it was almost 12% of the employees that retired. Hopefully the new governor just wants to go over things before they are approved and this is just a small hold up. It seemed to me like the process was moving so quick. I thought I was going to get in quickly if I passed everything.
          That was the catch.. 90% of the jobs are NOT being refilled. The early incentive was a way for the state to permently eliminate jobs.. ONLY NECCESSARY jobs will be refilled.
          "It is not a measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" -Jiddu Krishnamurti -

Comment

• Originally posted by darkhelmet View Post
            That was the catch.. 90% of the jobs are NOT being refilled. The early incentive was a way for the state to permently eliminate jobs.. ONLY NECCESSARY jobs will be refilled.
            They will be eliminating jobs by attriction but they will still hire to replace a large amount off 1800 they will replace about 1300. They reason for the buy out is to pay a new comer only 50 % of the salary. Thing about it a court officer who was 20 years will all the incentive will bank 90k they can pay to new court officers with the one salary they save. they will eliminate some jobs yes but they will save on the amount a new employee get paid. that were the real saving come from. i did work for the city hhc and the same thng happen about 7 year ago city saved alot of money.

Comment

• Originally posted by angelo3456 View Post
              They will be eliminating jobs by attriction but they will still hire to replace a large amount off 1800 they will replace about 1300. They reason for the buy out is to pay a new comer only 50 % of the salary. Thing about it a court officer who was 20 years will all the incentive will bank 90k they can pay to new court officers with the one salary they save. they will eliminate some jobs yes but they will save on the amount a new employee get paid. that were the real saving come from. i did work for the city hhc and the same thng happen about 7 year ago city saved alot of money.
              Of those 1800 statewide retirees, I read somewhere only a few hundred were actual court officers.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                Of those 1800 statewide retirees, I read somewhere only a few hundred were actual court officers.
                Hey,

The academy classes are usually only 100 to 150 people anyway.

Comment

• I recieved my blood and urine analasys today but still no date for physical

Comment

• For those schedule for the jan 6th class see article i found in news day, i dont think its gonna be that bad the oca is waiting for there buget to make a date see article court officer association is involved

Budget woes postpone class of court officers
                    Originally published: January 6, 2011 8:33 PM
                    Updated: January 6, 2011 9:07 PM
                    By SID CASSESE [email protected]

A class of up to 50 state court officers that was to begin Thursday was postponed less than 36 hours before it was to start because of possible budget problems, according to state officials, drawing concerns about court security from court officer union leaders in Nassau and Suffolk.

David Bookstaver, a spokesman for the state's Office of Court Administration, said the class was postponed because of concerns about budget funding. "[But] we will be evaluating it and should have a new schedule date within the coming weeks and months," he said.

He said that looking at their 2011 budget anew recently, it seemed increasingly uncertain, "where we felt it would be irresponsible to let this class continue, so we decided to postpone it until our budget picture is clearer." He added 190 new court officers graduated in 2010.

But Patrick Cribben, president of the Court Officers Benevolent Association of Nassau County, said that with the number of officers being significantly reduced through last year's state incentive to retire, the impact of not having the new class creates "a possible security risk" throughout the court system.

"We lost 15 officers through retirement and about another 10 through promotions to court clerk's jobs," he said. "We got none of those recent graduates but did get five transfers from New York City." He added that he had never been told how many of the postponed class would have come to Nassau, "maybe three to five, but we could use all we could get."

Cribben's counterpart in Suffolk, Brian Mischo, said he also had court security concerns, but said, "We have been told that the courts will open and have sufficient security, so I'll go with that for now."

Each union has about 850 full-time employees, but Mischo said Suffolk got five officers from the last graduating class and 15 transfers from around the state "because we were down so much."

Some of those scheduled for the postponed court officers class - who would only speak anonymously for fear it could hurt any future chance at the job - said they were upset because they had quit their previous jobs to start the class, now to be rescheduled in the coming "weeks or months."

Comment

For those schedule for the jan 6th class see article i found in news day, i dont think its gonna be that bad the oca is waiting for there buget to make a date see article court officer association is involved

Budget woes postpone class of court officers
                      Originally published: January 6, 2011 8:33 PM
                      Updated: January 6, 2011 9:07 PM
                      By SID CASSESE [email protected]

A class of up to 50 state court officers that was to begin Thursday was postponed less than 36 hours before it was to start because of possible budget problems, according to state officials, drawing concerns about court security from court officer union leaders in Nassau and Suffolk.

David Bookstaver, a spokesman for the state's Office of Court Administration, said the class was postponed because of concerns about budget funding. "[But] we will be evaluating it and should have a new schedule date within the coming weeks and months," he said.

He said that looking at their 2011 budget anew recently, it seemed increasingly uncertain, "where we felt it would be irresponsible to let this class continue, so we decided to postpone it until our budget picture is clearer." He added 190 new court officers graduated in 2010.

But Patrick Cribben, president of the Court Officers Benevolent Association of Nassau County, said that with the number of officers being significantly reduced through last year's state incentive to retire, the impact of not having the new class creates "a possible security risk" throughout the court system.

"We lost 15 officers through retirement and about another 10 through promotions to court clerk's jobs," he said. "We got none of those recent graduates but did get five transfers from New York City." He added that he had never been told how many of the postponed class would have come to Nassau, "maybe three to five, but we could use all we could get."

Cribben's counterpart in Suffolk, Brian Mischo, said he also had court security concerns, but said, "We have been told that the courts will open and have sufficient security, so I'll go with that for now."

Each union has about 850 full-time employees, but Mischo said Suffolk got five officers from the last graduating class and 15 transfers from around the state "because we were down so much."

Some of those scheduled for the postponed court officers class - who would only speak anonymously for fear it could hurt any future chance at the job - said they were upset because they had quit their previous jobs to start the class, now to be rescheduled in the coming "weeks or months."

Hey,

Thanks for posting the article. It gives me some hope. It is not fair for us to leave our jobs and then be told that the class is postponed. There are about 50 unemployed people right now scrabbling to pay our bills.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                        Hey,

Thanks for posting the article. It gives me some hope. It is not fair for us to leave our jobs and then be told that the class is postponed. There are about 50 unemployed people right now scrabbling to pay our bills.
                        I understand where you coming from. i too have the smae problem i was slated for that same class. I thank god i still have an income from the business i own but its not enough to let me live confortable as i was before. just enough to pay rent and feed my family and pay my insurance. hopefully will not be that long. would have never thought i would have gotten screwed by the state but what can you do. good luck suggest you all try to find something temporarly until you get into the class.

Comment

I understand where you coming from. i too have the smae problem i was slated for that same class. I thank god i still have an income from the business i own but its not enough to let me live confortable as i was before. just enough to pay rent and feed my family and pay my insurance. hopefully will not be that long. would have never thought i would have gotten screwed by the state but what can you do. good luck suggest you all try to find something temporarly until you get into the class.
                          It is the worst possible scenario and I hope for you guys they get it resolved soon. If I do get called later on for a class, it makes me wonder if I will even give notice or just walk away from my current job the day I start an academy.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing the article as Cravan said, It also give me some hope that the academy will be reschedule maybe sooner than I thought. I'm still in shock and can't believe I'm unemployed for the first time in my adult life. For all the people here affected by the abrupt decisions of the OCA to postponed the class yesterday, I wish everyone good luck, stay strong and stay fit as we might do another post - academy medical exam. We don't want to be dq because we gained weight.
                            Exam 2005/ 45-722
                            Pre-Appointment Medical-Passed on 11/29/2010
                            Candidate for Jan. 2011 Academy

Comment

• Originally posted by Retriever View Post
                              It is the worst possible scenario and I hope for you guys they get it resolved soon. If I do get called later on for a class, it makes me wonder if I will even give notice or just walk away from my current job the day I start an academy.
                              Guys, I know this is regarding to the courts but NYC correction always advise their new recruits "Do not quit your job until we sworn in first day at the academy". I believe we have to seriously consider their advise. I know is not fair for our current employers with no two week notices but that's the only way to protect ourselves in the future when we get call for the courts.

Comment

I am going to be optimistic and continue to stay in shape. Good luck to all screwed trainees!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10866 users online. 476 members and 10390 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X