300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kannons610 View Post
    That is really awful. I'm sorry for whomever was scheduled to begin the academy and received that bad phone call. Was any other information given? I figured since so many court officers took the incentive and retired that the next few classes would be safe from being postponed/canceled.
    OCA told me that I will definitely be in the next class. OCA does not know when the next class is going to take place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
      I received the same phone call today. I am devastated. I resigned from my job this week and then the OCA told me the bad news. I am speechless and I can't go back to my old job.
      I've been in this type of situation before and I know how you feel. I was in shock and I'm sure you are as well. The only upside is you're slated for the next class (I'm sure there will be one eventually). You just have to hang tight until then....

I haven't read anything about a hiring freeze, only possible pay cuts so I wonder what is going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
        I've been in this type of situation before and I know how you feel. I was in shock and I'm sure you are as well. The only upside is you're slated for the next class (I'm sure there will be one eventually). You just have to hang tight until then....

I haven't read anything about a hiring freeze, only possible pay cuts so I wonder what is going on.
        Thanks for the positive motivation. So what did you do when you were in my current situation?

Comment

• I spoke to my union president and he said that they will have a meeting with my Chief today regarding my unfortunate situation, and he will find out if I can get my old job.
          If I can't get my old job back, can I apply for unemployment check? It's 5 in the morning and I'm still awake! Dang! I have kids, mortgage to pay and for the first time in my life I'm unemployed!
          Exam 2005/ 45-722
          Pre-Appointment Medical-Passed on 11/29/2010
          Candidate for Jan. 2011 Academy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
            Thanks for the positive motivation. So what did you do when you were in my current situation?
            I just had to pull myself together and find another job and stay positive. I was in shock when I received the phone call telling me there were layoffs and a hiring freeze. Your situation is better than mine (future I'm talking) as they told you you will be in the next academy. So in essence it's a temporary freeze on the academy as you know you will get in eventually. You just have to make a short term plan to pay the bills in the interim. Worst case you can try to apply for unemployment.

Comment

• Originally posted by jontot View Post
              I spoke to my union president and he said that they will have a meeting with my Chief today regarding my unfortunate situation, and he will find out if I can get my old job.
              If I can't get my old job back, can I apply for unemployment check? It's 5 in the morning and I'm still awake! Dang! I have kids, mortgage to pay and for the first time in my life I'm unemployed!
              Like I told Cravan...it sucks in the short term...but somehow stay positive. If you're going to be in the next academy at least the future looks bright
              Just make that short term plan to make sure all bills are paid and before you know it you'll get that call. Another class will be held eventually.

Comment

• Hey guys I'm a fellow candidate here thanks for all your insight -

I failed the vision on my first Pre-Med, got lasik and now im seeing 20/15 so I'm ready for my re-eval
                Jan. 11th... Quick question about the full medical - Do they allow you to urinate in private or is someone
                in the room with you? I have somewhat of a shy bladder so I'm concerned I won't be able to provide a
                sample.

Comment

• Wow that's horrible. And also not very reassuring for those of us hoping to get into the next class either. Well, at least it will give me more time to get the lasik procedure...

Comment

• Someone is in the room with you. You are behind a curtain.

Comment

• Does anyone know how many were supposed to go in to the Jan 6 class? I am wondering (and hoping) that it was going to be a small class and maybe they are just delaying until they process enough from the new test and can put through 1 larger academy as opposed to a small one and then another one later.

Comment

• Do you think its possible they want to use the new list instead for the next academy? Either way its screwed up how they told people 3 days before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Retriever View Post
                          Does anyone know how many were supposed to go in to the Jan 6 class? I am wondering (and hoping) that it was going to be a small class and maybe they are just delaying until they process enough from the new test and can put through 1 larger academy as opposed to a small one and then another one later.
                          I am thinking it has to do with the new governor. He wants pay cuts for state employees and it's too much of a coincidence. To go through all that trouble of readying candidates and then cancel 3 days prior.... Has anyone contacted the OCA for further explanation?

Comment

• Anyone who had the half-med in December get a hard notice about doing the rest in January? I was told that I would be contacted and complete the physical part in January but I have yet to receive a call or letter.

I went to Cohoes on Dec. 14th and everything I was told was good.

Sorry to hear about the academy being cancelled. I think that is a travesty with 3 days notice for people who are starting a career.
                            Last edited by GRAND; 01-05-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                              I am thinking it has to do with the new governor. He wants pay cuts for state employees and it's too much of a coincidence. To go through all that trouble of readying candidates and then cancel 3 days prior.... Has anyone contacted the OCA for further explanation?
                              I agree...way too coincidental that it occurred a day after his swearing in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knick1 View Post
                                Hey guys I'm a fellow candidate here thanks for all your insight -

I failed the vision on my first Pre-Med, got lasik and now im seeing 20/15 so I'm ready for my re-eval
                                Jan. 11th... Quick question about the full medical - Do they allow you to urinate in private or is someone
                                in the room with you? I have somewhat of a shy bladder so I'm concerned I won't be able to provide a
                                sample.
                                I had my full medical on 12/28. You pee in a cup and are alone in a bathroom with the door closed. You aren't allowed to wash your hands or flush. They also check the temperature to make sure it came out of your body at that moment. This was in NYC, not Cohoes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5499 users online. 278 members and 5221 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X