Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30/55. You'll be pretty gray, but remember that the pension will be 60% rather than 50%. Most people I know that retire from the courts get another gig afterwards because they want to, not because they have to
    Originally posted by nycboldest21 View Post
    I have a question about the retirement...

I am a NYC Correction Officer and have about 3 years on the job. In 17 years I'll be able to walk away. I took the test in Oct 09 and I know even if I scored high it will probably be a couple of years before I would get hired at least....

My question is what is the retirement like for State Courts? Is it 25 years or 30 years? I'm in my mid 20's now and I'm curious how gray I will be when I am able to retire from Courts.

Thank you
    Last edited by soon2retire; 02-05-2010, 09:14 PM.
    RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

Originally posted by soon2retire View Post
      30/55. You'll be pretty gray, but remember that the pension will be 60% rather than 50%. Most people I know that retire from the courts get another gig afterwards because they want to, not because they have to
      And he should be able to buy back those 3 years in NYC too, correct?

Comment

Doesn't have to-they count towards the 30
        Originally posted by CAnde View Post
        And he should be able to buy back those 3 years in NYC too, correct?
        RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

Doesn't have to 'buy" those years......time is transferred over.

Comment

Ok so I know sounds like a stupid question, but just to make sure I know whats being said....

30/55 means i can retire at either when I'm 55 or 30 years on, whichever comes first, correct?

My time that I have on with the city would carry over how? I would hit 55 before I hit 30 years so how would my 3 years carry over?
            As a Corrections Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve my community; to safeguard the lives and property within my jurisdiction; to protect against deception, oppression or intimidation; to prevent violence or disorder; and to respect and preserve the constitutional rights of all.

Comment

No, you have to have 30 in AND be 55, you need both, but your 3 yrs. Correction time would count toward the 30
              Ok so I know sounds like a stupid question, but just to make sure I know whats being said....

30/55 means i can retire at either when I'm 55 or 30 years on, whichever comes first, correct?

My time that I have on with the city would carry over how? I would hit 55 before I hit 30 years so how would my 3 years carry over?
              RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

No, you have to have 30 in AND be 55, you need both, but your 3 yrs. Correction time would count toward the 30
                Gotcha...thank you...are you sure my time would count in corrections because its not state corrections...it's city
                As a Corrections Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve my community; to safeguard the lives and property within my jurisdiction; to protect against deception, oppression or intimidation; to prevent violence or disorder; and to respect and preserve the constitutional rights of all.

Comment

Yep, we've had plenty of city bus drivers come on here, and their time counted. It's all good, as long as it's city or state time
                  Gotcha...thank you...are you sure my time would count in corrections because its not state corrections...it's city
                  RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

well thats good to know. At least I know that the time I'm doing right now isnt a waste. I really think I would take the job is the chance arises. Hopefully already being a sworn peace officer will help my chances

Comment

When do you think we will see the grades for this test?

Comment

Originally posted by dukes0980 View Post
                        When do you think we will see the grades for this test?
                        It says on the Court Officer website that the grades are going to be mailed around July 2010

Comment

what are opinions on police status?? will it ever pass with Paterson in office?? do you think all JD's in the state will have MSP?? who decides that??

Comment

Does anyone here think this test was easier then the university police exam??

Comment

Originally posted by courtcop64 View Post
                              what are opinions on police status?? will it ever pass with Paterson in office?? do you think all JD's in the state will have MSP?? who decides that??
                              Never with this governor. The bill has been reintroduced, but with absolutely no changes in wording to change his mind. We'll have to wait for the next administration. What does have a good shot is the bill granting statewide authority to execute bench warrants, rather than only in NYC, LI, and Westchester. It just passed the assembly and is set for review by the senate. It also got that far last year, but with all the budget stuff it got put on the back burner and eventually died. This year it has a much better chance. The governor will probably sign it since it will cost nothing.

As for statewide MSP, probably not anytime soon. However it will probably eventually become necessary, at least in the larger cities, in order to transport bench warrants and other arrests without having to bother the local pd.

Comment

Hey everyone, new to the boards, just wanted to say hello. theres some good info on here. had all my questions answered before i even had to ask. anyone out on the island? or JD 11? took the test 12/12/09. eager for july to come around.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12112 users online. 437 members and 11675 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X