• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is it to get to top pay?

Comment

• Reigns167
      Reigns167 commented
      Editing a comment
      Long time 2 years probation then 9 years . Then another 4 to first longevity then another 4 for second longevity. 17 years to true top pay LOL

• Chriscap345
      Chriscap345 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow that’s rough lol thank you

• 9 years to top pay. 2years @ line 16. Then 7 years @ line 19. First longevity after the 13th year. Second longevity after 17th year. Max salary before longevity 81605. Add in location, uniform, SLED. TOTAL 87995 before OT. After first longevity 91033. After 2nd 94071. There is also a separate bonus after 20 years. It increases at the 25 year mark, 30 year mark. I wouldn’t worry too much about top salary. Contract ends in a year. By the time you get to top salary it will be higher. Starting salary in nyc metro area is 51113. After location, uniform SLED...57503. I’m not 100 percent sure but I think you need to be unrestricted firearm status to get SLED PAY.
    http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
    NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Bidstar
      Bidstar commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully I get a good score in the upcoming 2020 exam, I’m aiming to score in the 80/90s

• Lerg13
      Lerg13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Aim for the 90-100’s you wanna be able to have a wide select the district you wanna be in

• I hear there is two locations for the academy one upstate and one in Brooklyn NY, is that true? how do they choose where you go to?

Comment

• Holcroft
      Holcroft commented
      Editing a comment
      Normally if you are from upstate you will go to upstate academy, and if you are from city or island you go to Brooklyn. Upstate classes usually have some downstate ppl in them too, Brooklyn downstate only

• USMCmech6216
      USMCmech6216 commented
      Editing a comment
      Back when I took the test you picks if you wanted downstate/NYC (JDs 1,2,9,12,13) or upstate (3-8) when you first applied for the exam.

• Had anybody heard about the start date of the next academy?

Comment

• Virgil_Tibbs
      Virgil_Tibbs commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't believe there is any confirmation that there in fact will be another academy just yet(off the 2014 exam).

• USMCmech6216
      USMCmech6216 commented
      Editing a comment
      I heard May or June timeframe for an upstate academy as the last class off the 2014 list.

• AMP519
      AMP519 commented
      Editing a comment
      Where did you hear that from that upstate will be last class? Or do you mean just for upstate that would be last class off 2014 list?
      Last edited by AMP519; 02-08-2020, 09:14 AM.

• USMCmech6216
      USMCmech6216 commented
      Editing a comment
      AMP519 I meant the last class off the 2014 list. But I’m hearing now that they want atleast 2 upstate classes off this list if they can. Then the 2020 list will be the list they are going off of.

• if it matters to anyone they just finished doing the physicals for the upstate people (again) and the next physical for the downstate hopefuls is in march/ april. this is from their main site. so maybe there is another class for downstate in the making.

dont forget it also takes a year after the test to get your scores so those waiting might still have hope

http://ww2.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/index.shtml

Comment

• AMP519
      AMP519 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. I was told there might be 2 more classes down state this year...but until anything happens i look at it as just rumor. But i try to rationalize why theyd put this effort downstate if there's no more classes from the list.

• Nycourt
      Nycourt commented
      Editing a comment
      I heard they was going to try and squeeze out another 2 classes out of the list (upstate and downstate). The next list won’t be made till sometime next year June/July. So possible 3 if they do 2 downstates

• so my investigator called me to say my background is completed and my phych eval been approved to move on.

do i just play the waiting game now till may/june? ( they said Academy is in june)

Comment

• AMP519
      AMP519 commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats. Where they referring to upstate or down state about proposed june class?

• ownal0t
      ownal0t commented
      Editing a comment
      im upstate

• USMCmech6216
      USMCmech6216 commented
      Editing a comment
      Rumor is next upstate class is spring time frame. So May-ish. Good luck

• Originally posted by ownal0t View Post
    so my investigator called me to say my background is completed and my phych eval been approved to move on.

do i just play the waiting game now till may/june? ( they said Academy is in june)
    Think all you can do is wait. You cold send an email regarding a medical but doubt they would do that until a class is confirmed or until we get closer to the current class ending...join the club lol. But seeing that they are putting you through the process, etc. I'm a bit more optimistic that there will be at least one more downstate class

Comment

• Originally posted by Virgil_Tibbs View Post

Think all you can do is wait. You cold send an email regarding a medical but doubt they would do that until a class is confirmed or until we get closer to the current class ending...join the club lol. But seeing that they are putting you through the process, etc. I'm a bit more optimistic that there will be at least one more downstate class
      im upstate tho lol. but im sure downstate has another class coming

Comment

• USMCmech6216
        USMCmech6216 commented
        Editing a comment
        Upstate class is coming soon.... they are trying to avoid running an upstate and downstate class together. It less confusing that way

• How fast do you guys think it will take to get the list ready from the new exam?. The only thing I could think of that could slow it down is the amount of applicants that there will be, compared to other exams that have used the computerized system already and have been processed quickly. I'm a candidate for the next downstate class that if it happens would happen sometime in Jan I would assume. They're still processing for downstate but it all depends on how fast the new list comes out.

Comment

• Virgil_Tibbs
        Virgil_Tibbs commented
        Editing a comment
        In the same boat as you. I'm medically cleared and passed the background...I doubt anyone really knows but I would assume we have at least a year before a new list is graded and established...I would hope they have another academy before that point but one can only hope.

• Is Court Officer worth the jump from NYS Corrections? I have 17 years left in DOCCS and my base pay is 70000 at 8 years. With soft money it is 76000. With overtime I made 86000. Work sucks. It’s boring and constantly edgey. Thank you.

Comment

• USMCmech6216
        USMCmech6216 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a bunch of COs in my class and they all couldn’t wait for this job. They all said DOCS sucked and they hated it, etc. As for as the “worthiness” everything should transfer over from DOCS if you got this job. The only thing you would “lose” is seniority. All your accruals will kind of transfer. You can only take 70 hours of sick and vacation each, so DOCS pays you out the rest. But you pay should come with you, minus the OT. I had 12 years with another agency prior to this and everything transitioned over smoothly.

• If you jump from NYS DOC to Courts you carry your pension time AND Salary. You’d have to talk to OCA HR. You’d still have a two year probation period and academy but wouldn’t start at line 16. There are a bunch of former NYSDOC who have made the switch and no one that I know of regrets it....

Comment

• My girlfriend is considering taking the court officer exam, but I'm trying to find out if her pensionable retirement credit at court officers would be transferable to another police agency if she would ever transfer in the future. For example, nassau, and suffolk etc... Also, what is the normal work schedule for court officers? Any information would be helpful! I am myself starting NCPD in the next academy class this April so any information for her would be great. Thank you and be safe.

Comment

• soon2retire
          soon2retire commented
          Editing a comment
          The hours are M-F 9-5
          Last edited by soon2retire; 02-22-2020, 07:03 AM.

• Reigns167
          Reigns167 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t think the time would count going from court officer to a police officer. I hope I’m wrong but I’ve never been able to confirm this. I’d like to think that the time would count on the back end .

• Patriot91
          Patriot91 commented
          Editing a comment
          You'd be locked into said tier- her time would not carry on the front end it would carry on the back.

• USMCmech6216
          USMCmech6216 commented
          Editing a comment
          M-F 9 to 5 in some places. Downstate has night court, weekend arraignment, work holidays, swing shift etc. Upstate “most” courts are 8a-4p, 8:15a-4:15p, 8:30a-4:30p or 9a-5p. All depends on your court.

• Hey unblindeacon can you explain restricted firearm status and how that works? If they place you on restricted status what happens to the firearms that you already own and vouchered at the police precinct, sheriffs office or court facility? ( I'm not sure where is acceptable for Court officer recruits ). Does this mean that you cannot have custody of your firearms that you were already authorized to own/carry before you were hired. Last how long can they keep you on restricted firearm status? Thanks in advance

Comment

• Originally posted by Crash Test View Post
          Hey unblindeacon can you explain restricted firearm status and how that works? If they place you on restricted status what happens to the firearms that you already own and vouchered at the police precinct, sheriffs office or court facility? ( I'm not sure where is acceptable for Court officer recruits ). Does this mean that you cannot have custody of your firearms that you were already authorized to own/carry before you were hired. Last how long can they keep you on restricted firearm status? Thanks in advance
          All handguns are handed in on day one of the academy. The handguns are returned after you qualify at your command and receive your unrestricted Id.

Comment

• The above posts are correct. Your firearms vouchered at the academy day 1. I was referring more to SLED pay and restricted firearm status. You can be a “no-gun” if you fail requal, get arrested, get served with order of protection, alcohol/drug problem, etc. You can be in that status for a long time. So for example let’s say you graduate from the academy, get your unrestricted ID, carry your firearms and five years later you fail requal. You will have to fill out some paperwork and turn in all your guns and then will be issued a “no-gun” ID. You are longer eligible for SLED pay (I think). Hope that answers your question.

Comment

• Reigns167
              Reigns167 commented
              Editing a comment
              Does your time count if you take another police job in the NYS police and fire retirement system ? Court officers are in a special plan with NYSRS

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6726 users online. 394 members and 6332 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X