Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have been processing for over a year. Received my letter that I had been cleared by the Background Evaluation Board last May. I have my retake of the PAT Wednesday because a year has passed since I took it the first time. I got a phone call last Friday and was told that after I complete and pass the PAT again since I’m done processing they are going to go ahead and schedule me for my medical on around 11/9. Has anyone else got called for the medical? Is the next academy scheduled for December or January if anyone knows

Comment

• maximus477
      maximus477 commented
      Editing a comment
      current rumors point to January

• I’m really trying to understand the tier 6 pension, your earliest retirement is 55 but you get hit with a penalty, but to retire with full benefits you have to be 62? Can anyone help me out.. for example 55 i would have 25 years hypothetically speaking.. it says 55 percent deduction what does that mean anybody know how to break it down, I work Corrections I would retire at 47 so I’m trying to see how beneficial this change would be to me

Comment

• Ray23
      Ray23 commented
      Editing a comment
      With Tier 6 you have to retire at 62/63 (state retirement age) for full benefit (55%). If you retire early, you get hit with serious penalties. So in theory, if you're 24 you'd have to work 40 years to get full 55% benefit. They've tried to get it "corrected" to be 30 years/55 age but the Governor has vetoed it 4 years in a row now.

• NYbred
      NYbred commented
      Editing a comment
      Trying to understand salary structure. Grade 16 starts at $50,100 is holiday pay, wash up and location pay in addition to that ?

• Brute34690
      Brute34690 commented
      Editing a comment
      you really should be more concerned about getting the job than the pay... but to answer that 50k is the starting base anything else goes on top of that ( uniform allowance, SLED = Security Law Enforcement Differential, location pay, overtime, premium holiday pay)

• How serious is the penalities let’s say you do 25 years by 55 years old? How much of difference you taking home

Comment

• Just noticed some people are getting conditional offers and just wanted to reiterate some things. When you get to the academy stage do what youre told, be on time with everything, have some money in savings, bring everything that they tell you to bring, come physically fit and prepared push ups, sit ups, mountain climbers, 1.5 mile run, dont have an attitude and dont give up. The academy is going to seem tough in the beginning and you will see people drop out left and right the first few weeks. After the first two months everything will be routine and youll all be working together (hopefully). Dont try to get away with **** because you will end up hurting the whole class (ive seen it firsthand). Pay attention during the lectures and take notes. You get through four months of training and youll have the rest of your career to look back and say im glad i pushed through and did it. And dont forget the baby shampoo

Comment

• Crash Test
      Crash Test commented
      Editing a comment
      Baby shampoo? Is that a joke?

• USMCmech6216
      USMCmech6216 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not a joke about the baby shampoo. You won’t need it for a while.

• Congrats to everyone who has received offers and will move along with the process...just curious in what range are your list numbers? I assume I didn't make the cut. Last I've heard was that I passed the psych about a month ago...hoping they have more than one upcoming academy before the list is exhausted...

Comment

• maximus477
      maximus477 commented
      Editing a comment
      I appear to be in the same boat as you. I am still in the investigation process. hoping I still make this academy but if I don't, hoping I make the next one.

• Virgil_Tibbs
      Virgil_Tibbs commented
      Editing a comment
      I was cleared by the evaluation board a couple days ago...perhaps I still have time to make whenever the next class is, just have my fingers crossed hoping I get called for a medical

• I had no idea that tier 6 was so messed up. I was told that anyone coming in that is currently tier 4 gets to stay in tier 4 and previous time transfers in to the pension of 30/55 retirement at 60%. So if you already have 15 years as a Train Operator tier 4 you only have to do 15 as a Court Officer as long as you are 40 years old and you retire with 60% not 50%! I'm really confused why people keep supporting politicians every chance they get that keep shafting us every chance they get.
    Last edited by Crash Test; 11-04-2019, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• Crash Test
      Crash Test commented
      Editing a comment
      So if you made over 140K for 3 years at transit and then went over to courts is your 60% based on those 3 years or your top 3 years as a court officer?

• Brute34690
      Brute34690 commented
      Editing a comment
      Crash Test, you need to call the state retirement system for proper answers. There's so many variables and anyone on here will only be guessing to what may apply for you.

• USMCmech6216
      USMCmech6216 commented
      Editing a comment
      That 140k is your base? It’s only by your base salary. But like mentioned, you should call NYS retirement for a better answer.

• Crash Test
      Crash Test commented
      Editing a comment
      So tier 4 at transit your pension would be based on 140k (base is around 70K) which is with a lot of OT at 50% (25/55) of your FAS! So I will call the state for clarity. The tier 6 would not allow that much OT to be factored into your pension. I believe it is only the first $12,000 of OT and that's all. Private sector hate and pressure on Cuomo and his pals in Albany wanted to stop us from making so much after we retire. There are people under tier 4 collecting over $200,000 a year in pension payouts because of OT.

• Just out of curiosity. The folks who are going for the medical, is it a downstate class?

Comment

• Lerg13
      Lerg13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea all those medicals so far are you downstate

• Anybody that applied for an update position receive there medical yet?

Comment

• Lerg13
      Lerg13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not yet, I have my psych interview Tuesday

• Good luck to everybody here, I took the PAT last week and passed and already have my written psych and background investigation so soon after. Question for anybody who has taken the written psych whether for court officer or another PD position in the past,

how long is the written psych exactly? My shift starts at 8am at my current job, and idk whether to take another whole day off or notify them that I can come in for the second half of the day. Thank you.

Comment

• Jdot2116
      Jdot2116 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would advise you to take the day off. The exam is about 2000 questions long. You would need the rest of the day to recuperate.

• BigSpritz
      BigSpritz commented
      Editing a comment
      I second what Jdot has said, you also do not want to rush through the written psych. Take your time, it’s mentally draining when you are finished with the tests.

• Danster360
      Danster360 commented
      Editing a comment
      Alright good to know, thank you

• Rockaway8678
      Rockaway8678 commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely take the day off for the written psych so you can take your time with the test.
      Start getting your background investigation paperwork together too. I started as soon as I passed the PAT. In particular the social security earnings printout, make sure the social security office you go to actually prints it for you (I’d call ahead and check).

• You can check online to see which Social security offices are limited service locations. You want to stay away from those and go to a FULL SERVICE one. When you get to the window let them know that you need the printout and if they deny you either let them know it's for a Law Enforcement Position and you need to get it now because the academy is starting before the mail will get to you in 4 to 6 or 8 weeks and you will miss it if you don't get the document immediately or ask for the supervisor and tell him or her why you need it. They are not new to this and know that LE jobs require this from all candidates and they will give it to you right there. If not they will mail it to you and with the holiday season around the corner you might not be so jolly this year as a lot of mail gets lost. I have done this multiple times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crash Test View Post
      You can check online to see which Social security offices are limited service locations. You want to stay away from those and go to a FULL SERVICE one. When you get to the window let them know that you need the printout and if they deny you either let them know it's for a Law Enforcement Position and you need to get it now because the academy is starting before the mail will get to you in 4 to 6 or 8 weeks and you will miss it if you don't get the document immediately or ask for the supervisor and tell him or her why you need it. They are not new to this and know that LE jobs require this from all candidates and they will give it to you right there. If not they will mail it to you and with the holiday season around the corner you might not be so jolly this year as a lot of mail gets lost. I have done this multiple times.
      If you are close to troy ny i would go to that one,they didn’t charge me.

Comment

• Hello all. Ive been looking into information on how transfers work for court officers for reasons such as wanting to be closer to home. I found a thread on another site that stated some officers have waited over 10 years for a transfer, and that some are still waiting and have more than the 10 years mentioned above.

-Are there officers waiting that long for a transfer?

-Who decides if and when you can transfer?

-Does seniority count for transfers when going up against a new recruits coming out of the academy that have chosen the district you want?

Thank you all for any insight.

Comment

• You can go on the transfer list after being in your command for one year. It's an interview process, and it can be difficult to get a desired district. Transfers occur when classes graduate. Hope it helps.

Comment

• Like with everything on this job...it all depends. Are you transferring from upstate or 9th JD to NYC? Commands within NYC, or NYC to Long Island? What union are you in? Are you in the SCOA AND working in a COA command? What is your current command? Are you a good officer or a
            bomb? I work with officers who spent 2-3 years upstate and then transferred to NYC. Nassau county for years wouldn’t take transfers and then recently they took a bunch of transfers. I’ve seen many officers transfer from Manhattan and the Bronx to Queens. There is no hard and fast rule except that it takes time and you will have to spend at least a year in your first command.
            Seniority helps but it’s no guarantee and no you won’t necessarily get preference over a new recruit. You will have to interview for a transfer.
            http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
            NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Announcement for new test is out...

Comment

• LukeSW
                LukeSW commented
                Editing a comment
                It took 11 months for th 2014 exam results to come out, which should mean the April - June 2020 exam results would come out around March 2021 (AKA when the 2014 exam is officially expired)

• Holcroft
                Holcroft commented
                Editing a comment
                might be a bit faster this time , test is taken on screen , no paper booklets to process

• LukeSW
                LukeSW commented
                Editing a comment
                From my understanding how LEO civil service exams work (or whatever), they purposely postpone releasing the list scores to continue processing higher list numbers from the previous exam. For instance the 2018 NCPD was on iPads but even so, the list number wasn't given out until a year later.

I can't see NYS releasing the list scores anything shorter than 6 months (which would be October 2020)
                Last edited by LukeSW; 11-16-2019, 12:44 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8107 users online. 427 members and 7680 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X