Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next exam will be in 2020, i heard it’s going to be in the spring

Comment

• Hi, new to forum. I did a search but couldn't find the answer.
      Im going for the physical agility in October.
      For the pushups, situps, how many are passing?
      Also, what time is passing the Illinois run?
      And lastly...what level is passing the Beep test.
      Ive passed law enforcement physicals in past, was a nyc corrections for years.
      Thanks

Comment

• maximus477
        maximus477 commented
        Editing a comment
        You are scored in 4 tests, where you can earn a maximum of 7 points in each, and a total possible of 28. You need 20 I believe to pass. Therefore you can excel at one or two and do poorly on the others, but you must score at least some points in each.

Push-ups: I forgot how many you need but I did 43 and that got me 7.

Sit-ups: I believe you need 37 for 7 points I got 34 and 6 points for my effort.

Illinois Agility: can't remember the time you need to achieve to pass but I can tell you I got 20 seconds on first and 19 on second and received all 7.

beep test: you need to reach level 6 to get all 7. hardest part of the test by far.

2/3 of applicants failed the day I was there. So long as you maintain a basic level of exercise regularly you should be fine.

I was honestly amazed at how out of shape many applicants were. even the chief made a comment.

Good Luck.
        Last edited by maximus477; 08-30-2019, 02:27 PM.

• AMP519
        AMP519 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much, i appreciate it.
        I stay in shape with work and run more now.
        Thanks for the break down.

• maximus477
        maximus477 commented
        Editing a comment
        you are welcome AMP519

• FG1991
        FG1991 commented
        Editing a comment
        http://ww2.nycourts.gov/sites/defaul...nt%20Table.pdf

Good morning,
        That is the legitimate table of points they go by. Once you know the amount of points you need its way easier to facilitate how you practice. Whatever is your weak points work on that. I Received 6 points in each category and I knew which ones i definitely would be receiving that score just by knowing what # i had to get at minimum. Once you know the minimum you can work pass them.

The hardest is the beep test; it's a matter of knowing how to stride during the early levels and when to pick up speed/sprint for the later/hardest levels. BY level 4 you will need to pretty much be running.

I would say find the balance with doing as much #s as you can (cause u don't know what counts and what doesn't) and trying to conserve energy also ...if you already got the right amount of #s do an extra 5 or 8 in case they don't count what they think is an incorrect pushup/situp....

Wipe under your sneakers for agility run to get traction. & PRACTICE running for the beep.

Test went as follows for me in Brooklyn:
        Pushups
        Agility Run (wipe bottom of sneakers, sprint around those cones fast & when coming to finish line SPRINT/explode through don't slow down just cause its coming to an end)
        Sit-Ups
        Beep Test (hardest part by far)
        Last edited by FG1991; 09-10-2019, 08:47 AM.

• hello guys, i just got my call to do the physical test on the 18th upstate. as a Brooklynite ( i changed my region to get a better shot) what should i know about my stay upstate, how did some of you city guys who did this in the past do this?

i booked a hotel from the 17th to the 19th at the comfort inn by the Academy. thanks in advance

Comment

• The exact numbers are on the website. The instructors will not tell you how many points you accumulated, so push yourself to max out every step. The beep test is identical to suicides in high school. You run back and forth to the series of beeps. One piece of advice is when you make each line only one foot needs to be behind the line. Don't make it obvious and step out like a mile, but that extra two feet will help it the higher levels. Also regarding the beep test, you fail if you miss the line on two consecutive beeps, so if you miss one beep, you can still sprint to the line, turn around, and sprint to the other line without being disqualified. If you can't make it before the beep, your out. The agility run is easy, the situps someone holds your feet. Honestly the pushups are the hardest part. You MUST make sure you hit the pad with your chest every time or none of your pushups will count. You can think you have 50 done, but only 10 could count. Hope it helps, good luck all.

Comment

• Virgil_Tibbs
          Virgil_Tibbs commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the input brother. Hey I'm just curious. Did you go to the academy in Brooklyn or upstate? Wanna know if you could share any insight to us candidates on what the Academy is like. Any input is appreciated!

• L33
          L33 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was in Brooklyn, I can't give you too much info on the academy. Just start exercising now not only to prepare for the physical, but to make your time easier at the academy. Pushups, situps, mountain climbers, planks. Running wouldn't be a bad idea either.

• The beep test was hell for me, I had an upper resp infection and I thought I was going to die but I squeezed it out! Good luck to all in this process and thank you for the Officers, old, new and upcoming for any and all info to help the rest of us trying to get onboard.

Comment

• Has anyone heard if they are planning on doing a final hire before the list expires?

Comment

• maximus477
            maximus477 commented
            Editing a comment
            yes looks like a november academy is coming up and perhaps one after that. the New test is next year so we prob have a year from now before it expires.

• Hopefully I'll have a chance

Comment

• Advice for recruits:

PAT: The pat is not that bad, its push ups, sit ups, agility and beep test. Get some good sleep eat a light breakfast if you arent overweight and in somewhat shape you will be fine.

Investigation: Review your questionnaire packet over and over again before you submit it avoid mistakes and just be honest do not lie! Be open, honest and respectful with your investigator they do not determine if you are “good to go” they gather information and submit it to the hiring board.

Written psych: This is what trips people up the most. Remember nobody is perfect and they know that you do not need to be a perfect person for this job. aka its okay to say you dont like xy and z as long as you dont change your mind about it later *hint* just be honest when you answer the questions.

Psych interview: The interview is going to stress you out try to relax. They will have information about you already based on your written psych and will refer back to what youve already said this is where being honest is important. Just relax and continue to be honest with them. Pay attention to trick questions and dont get tripped up.

Academy: Bring what they tell you to bring, listen carefully to instructions, have some money in savings, show up in decent physical shape. The academy is going to move forward with or without you, yea youll all be working as a team but if you decide to quit remember YOU chose to quit. Nobody can make you give up only you. Expect the first month to be hell but if you can get through it youre home free. No matter what they will find something to yell at you about dont worry. You will be assessed on your 1.5 mile run time and push ups and sit ups. Also dont lock your knees youll be standing at attention a lot and sometimes for up to an hour.

Be early, shave your face every day, iron/steam your clothes, show up ready to work. Youll make a lot of friends in the academy and will miss it after graduation. Just dont quit!!

Comment

• Virgil_Tibbs
              Virgil_Tibbs commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. We appreciate you

• Hello, I selected JD 3-8 but I live in NYC so I have a few questions about the academy:
            •Is there dorm styled living or do you need to figure it out on your own? If yes, are you allowed to leave on the weekends?
            •What if you don't have the $1-2k saved up is there another option regarding that?
            •Someone said that business attire is to be worn everyday, is this true?

Also,
            •Does your hair need to be clean cut during the pre-academy stages(PAT, Psych test, Medical...)?

Comment

• L33
              L33 commented
              Editing a comment
              There are no dorms in Brooklyn, and as far as I know they don't pay for your hotel in Brooklyn. It could be different with the next class, but I don't think so. You will need to purchase some things in the academy, but you won't need a full 2k, but your commute/hotel could cost you that. It is business attire, clean shaven, clean haircut throughout the process and academy.

• BigSpritz
              BigSpritz commented
              Editing a comment
              You show up in business attire every morning, and leave in it every day. You’ll get very good at changing out of sticky sweaty PT gear into a full suit with only 10 minutes allotted.

Expect to shave every day, if you do not your fellow recruits will be punished for it and you’ll quickly make new friends.

Keeping your hair clean cut pre-academy wouldn’t hurt, first impressions are everything and you want to look professional and clean cut during all steps in the process.

During the academy hair must be clean cut, if you think it’s getting a little too long. It probably is, get it cut before an instructor drills you for it.

It would be smart to have 1-2k saved up prior to the academy, you’ll need to have funds to purchase equipment and uniforms as you progress through the academy. You will be reimbursed at some point with a uniform allowance, this is given 2x per year in June/December.

If your in the Brooklyn academy, expect to commute everyday mon-Friday. If your in the upstate academy depending on your location hotel is provided mon-Friday, you must leave after the academy on Friday and return Sunday night. If you choose to stay the whole time you will be paying out of pocket for the weekends.

Stay in shape, really focus on push-ups, sit-ups, planks, and 1.5 mile run times. The run is what really hurts the majority, stay on top of it and you’ll be in great shape when the academy starts. It is no joke and will push most to their limits.

When one messes up, we all mess up and for the love of god leave your cell phone in your locker during the academy.

Good luck to all beginning the process.
              Last edited by BigSpritz; 09-06-2019, 09:52 AM.

• Virgil_Tibbs
              Virgil_Tibbs commented
              Editing a comment
              By business attire are we talking dress shirt, slacks, and shoes or a full blown suit everyday at the Academy?

• BigSpritz
              BigSpritz commented
              Editing a comment
              Full on suit

1. What time frame are they looking for, for the mile and half run?

Comment

• BigSpritz
              BigSpritz commented
              Editing a comment
              It goes based off the cooper standard and your age, they don’t tell you specific numbers. You will be given multiple physical assessment tests. Whatever score you earn on each test you’re then expected to improve on, all the way until the end of the academy. They always want to see improvement, the end numbers that are expected from you aren’t disclosed unfortunately. Always push yourself and do as many push-ups/sit-ups as you can as well as improving your 1 1/2 mile run time.

Just for a reference my first run was 15:17 at the academy, final run 11:07 in the 20-29 age bracket.
              Last edited by BigSpritz; 09-06-2019, 03:58 PM.

• Thanks! Thats a big improvement. Nice.
            Im 42. But my full time job is physical everyday so i move pretty good.
            I run 3x a week but never did for speed. More to keep in shape

Comment

• USMCmech6216
              USMCmech6216 commented
              Editing a comment
              We had a couple guys in my academy class in there mid-late 40’s and they did the run in 8:20!!

• Overall I’m thinking the Pat is the hardest ? Do everyone feel that way as well ? I have 10 days to prepare my self and I’m getting very nervous because i feel that i am not as in shape as i would like to be . Can anyone lighten me up on the Pat and how it went for them or is it exactly what i think it will be ? Horrible and hard to pass

Comment

• L33
              L33 commented
              Editing a comment
              The Pat is easy compared to the PT in the academy. Scroll up to my post on 9/1, I outlined the Pat. If you can go outside and run a mile and a half without stopping (basically the beep test) if you can do 35 real pushups, and 35 real situps you will pass easily. If you struggle with those things start running 2x a day until a day before the Pat, and start maxing out situps and pushups in the morning and night. Don't psych yourself out, it's passable, but you need to be in decent shape.

• FG1991
              FG1991 commented
              Editing a comment
              http://ww2.nycourts.gov/sites/defaul...nt%20Table.pdf

Practice. Not sure what your skill level is but you at least now you know how you will be scored.

Here is the table of points; you need to receive at least a total of 20 and you need to score points in each category.

You never know what you can do with adrenaline pumping on your side.
              But start now you never know what you can condition yourself for in 10 days.

• Thank you . Even though i damn sure can’t do 35 push-ups lol more like 5

Comment

• BigSpritz
              BigSpritz commented
              Editing a comment
              If your not in shape for this PAT you’ll have a second chance to pass it if you fail, if I’m not mistaken. Should be 90 days I believe, you’ll be given another date to take it again. Use those 90 days wisely and bust your *** doing what you need to do. The PAT is by far way easier than the PT in the academy, don’t be fooled. So if you have an issue passing the PAT make sure on the second attempt your prepared. After the PAT is passed, don’t stop training, you’ll be better off when the academy does come around you don’t want to be the one singled out during the PT sessions.

If you really want it, find a way to make it happen. It’s up to you, good luck.

• Lisa57
              Lisa57 commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep practicing everyday. I started at 4 pushups 3 months before the test and during the test, I did 24. Don't give up!!

• Had my oral psych today. Almost felt like it went too well. I took NYC DOC's Psych and it was a different experience for sure!(I did pass that one). Of course everyone I asked had no clue how long it would be before I would receive my results back. My investigator told me he doesn't need anything else from me...guess I'm just waiting on the sidelines. Hard to be optimistic though with a list number in the late 10,000's. Best of luck to everyone.

Comment

• maximus477
              maximus477 commented
              Editing a comment
              I had oral psych in late July and I just received a notification a week ago that I passed. so About 6 weeks is how long i waited.

• Anybody receive an email for there final medical yet?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11396 users online. 392 members and 11004 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X