Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanted to ask about the letters you guys are referring to and when you saying they show up at their door. Like what kind of letters are these and what do they include and do you mean they show up to your jobs door?

Comment

• BigSpritz
      BigSpritz commented
      Editing a comment
      Essentially you are filling out a form that is sent to prior employers for them to fill out and send back, it’s a way for past employers to respond on how you performed at your past jobs. If there as any issues with their response you will be notified by your background investigator to give an explanation. Depending on the situation that the prior employer states in their response it may or may not affect you. Personally I had to make 3 different written statements via email to my background investigator. This ultimately did not affect my placement into the academy, so don’t get too stressed if it happens to you. I can’t speak for if they actually will go through the hassle of showing up to everyone’s old jobs if no response was made after the 2nd letter, but who knows.

• Lisa57
      Lisa57 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I imagine she had to say that (showing up at their door) because the letter says the person must respond within 10 days. I thought was a short time frame, so I asked her what happens if they don't respond.

• Thank you for the explanation

Comment

• 10 days doesn't seem so realistic especially considering some employers have to pass that type of document up a chain of command or maybe a Human Resources dept. Or if someone left a job in bad terms then that employer might be spiteful and just push the letter off to the side. My curiosity aims towards how this will be handled for companies that are out of business or closed locations. I for one have been at 2 schools and 2 jobs that are no longer in existence. I'm talking about for over 10 years these particular mom and pop type shops are gone and one pyramid scheme place I worked for too lol. So how those matters will be handled is going to be interesting and problematic if it delays my overall investigation.

Comment

• BigSpritz
        BigSpritz commented
        Editing a comment
        If I remember correctly in those situations my investigator requested W-2 forms from my taxes for the businesses I worked for that are no longer around. It may delay your investigation slightly but keep in mind the quicker you supply the requested information the quicker your investigator can continue his investigation. I supplied all written statements same day they were requested and did not see much delay during my investigation phase. Checking emails for me personally from the first date meeting with my investigator and getting the notification that I passed to the next phase was 1 1/2 months. From the date I took my PAT to the first day of the academy was exactly 6 months, wouldn’t say this is the same for everyone but just to keep that in mind for people going through the process. It’s a lot of hoops to jump through but it is worth it.

• Lisa57
        Lisa57 commented
        Editing a comment
        My high school went out of business, and they told me they will just call the Department of Education to see if there is anything on your record.

• Anyone hear anything for a academy date for upstate? I’m heading November?

Comment

• Holcroft
        Holcroft commented
        Editing a comment
        Heard nothing about upstate. There will be a NYC class around Nov- early winter.

• joeya7
        joeya7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Would be nice if they run a class before the end of the year. I just received my notice for phase 1 agility in September for districts 3-8

• Lerg13
        Lerg13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea I got my physical letter as well for sept 17th rank 12xxx for upstate hopefully they give us a date when we reach there

• Lerg13
        Lerg13 commented
        Editing a comment
        About how many people usually go into a class?

• How soon does New York announce an academy before it actually starts?

Comment

• I have to ask this, and I hope it's not read wrong and misinterpreted but for those who are already Court Officers, would you say the work environment among your peers is generally a positive one? Putting aside the day to day negativity from any craziest that might go on. I'm asking because during my process and the time spent at the BK academy for my PAT, written psych and my meeting with my investigator in lower manhattan and being around the rest of the investigators, it would be visually apparent that a good portion of the staff is miserable, for lack of a better word. I know every job has a flaw here and there but I don't know if that was just "shtick" or an act to intimidate people, which I can understand because I'm sure they deal with tons of people who aren't serious and are taking opportunities away from someone else. But if that's not the case, and they all are legit just not a happy bunch to be around on a daily basis, then I can assume mental health problems can arise being around that type of environment. Thoughts? Thanks

Comment

• BigSpritz
          BigSpritz commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m otj as a court officer now, the command I got sent to is amazing and every day is great with lots of laughs. When you first start you’ll figure out who isn’t a fan of the job due to whatever reason they have but that comes with most jobs, you always have a few that aren’t happy. It’s all about what you make of it, I was fortunate enough to get sent to a command with 5 others who were in my “squad” during the academy. So going in we had a great group, and the others who I did not know too well during the academy quickly turned into great friends. To answer your question though I believe it’s just a front they put on to weed out people who can’t hang, because when you are on the job most people you encounter aren’t happy showing up to court to begin with. People skills is a must with this job though, everything else comes with time.

• Hello, I am not a Court Officer yet (hopefully), however I do know a few Court Officers and not one of them dislike their job. I was a Corrections Officer in another state, the Officers at headquarters always put an attitude on for the new people, it’s a Psych thing.

Comment

• L33
          L33 commented
          Editing a comment
          Every command is different in welcoming new officers.

• Originally posted by DuckTheLine View Post
        I have to ask this, and I hope it's not read wrong and misinterpreted but for those who are already Court Officers, would you say the work environment among your peers is generally a positive one? Putting aside the day to day negativity from any craziest that might go on. I'm asking because during my process and the time spent at the BK academy for my PAT, written psych and my meeting with my investigator in lower manhattan and being around the rest of the investigators, it would be visually apparent that a good portion of the staff is miserable, for lack of a better word. I know every job has a flaw here and there but I don't know if that was just "shtick" or an act to intimidate people, which I can understand because I'm sure they deal with tons of people who aren't serious and are taking opportunities away from someone else. But if that's not the case, and they all are legit just not a happy bunch to be around on a daily basis, then I can assume mental health problems can arise being around that type of environment. Thoughts? Thanks
        I am otj, every courthouse is different so I can only speak about my own building. Overall it's a good atmosphere, but as in every career some people aren't happy to be at work. Your reputation will determine how people act towards you if you get on. I don't think mental health problems develop from being a court Officer.

Comment

• My lady kinda told me the same, about it being a psych thing and what not and not to think too deep into it and just do what I gotta do. But I appreciate everyone's honesty and time. I have my verbal psych this Monday so I'll have my game face on and more positive vibes due to everyone's answers, so I appreciate you all.

Comment

• L33
            L33 commented
            Editing a comment
            Stay honest and consistent with your answers from the written psych.

• If they seem off putting, take it in stride, it’s to see how you react under pressure.

Comment

• Hey guys I have a question... so I was offered a conditional appointment for upstate on Sept 17 (physical ability test) and just the other day I was contacted by the NYPD as well! For (January 2020 hire). Is it possible to proceed with both procedures at the same time or should I postpone one and focus on the other?

Comment

• L33
              L33 commented
              Editing a comment
              You can probably proceed with processing for both, never close an open door. I would take your living situation into consideration, upstate means you'll be working wherever you are placed.

• Iloveviews
              Iloveviews commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. That’s exactly what I plan on doing. I definitely don’t mind moving if I have to. If moving upstate happens to be my choice any advise or insight as to what the transfer process back to NYC would be like? L33
              Last edited by Iloveviews; 08-26-2019, 11:42 AM.

• Holcroft
              Holcroft commented
              Editing a comment
              You will have to wait at least a year before you can put in for a transfer.

• Originally posted by Iloveviews View Post
            Hey guys I have a question... so I was offered a conditional appointment for upstate on Sept 17 (physical ability test) and just the other day I was contacted by the NYPD as well! For (January 2020 hire). Is it possible to proceed with both procedures at the same time or should I postpone one and focus on the other?
            You should postpone the court officer so i have a better shot,jk always go for as much as you can. No job is guaranteed
            Last edited by Travis64; 08-26-2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Thanks lol. I decided I will pursue both.
              Last edited by Iloveviews; 08-26-2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Good luck!

Comment

• Anybody hear of an academy running in November?

Comment

• Reigns167
                    Reigns167 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes either late 2019 or early 2020 there will be an academy in brooklyn

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10068 users online. 500 members and 9568 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X