Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the start date for the academy? And does anyone know if the academy list has been fulfilled or if they are still making calls?

Comment

• Rat95
      Rat95 commented
      Editing a comment
      February 21st. The procession. Unit said expect a call within the first 2 weeks of February so it’s possible they are still calling.

• nynative4509
      nynative4509 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh ok gotcha, thanks for the info. By procession do you mean the 21st would be the swearing in ceremony?

• Rat95
      Rat95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Typo, processing unit** , first day is the 21s and calls go out the first two weeks of February according to the processing unit.

• Last minute drop out possible , friday before calls are not unusual.

Comment

• Jbroome517
      Jbroome517 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was only given 4 days

• nynative4509
      nynative4509 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info guys. Also another question, how does dress code for the academy work, do the trainees show up in business formal dress code with a suit and tie then change for PT later in the day?

• Holcroft
      Holcroft commented
      Editing a comment
      you always show up and leave in a suit and tie

• Holcroft
      Holcroft commented
      Editing a comment
      and dress socks....

• Congrats!!! to those who’ve been called for the upcoming academy in the new Brooklyn location. Heard the place looks great! Been reading some of the questions on here and I can give advice on some of them. The question that refers to facial hair after the academy. My advice is to wait to grow any beards, goatee’s, or mustaches until you are done probation. Remember you’re on probation for two years and you’ll be evaluated during that time to see wether or not your Court Officer material. Don’t go to your first command and think you can do whatever a senior officer can do. They aren’t on probation, you are. The things you have to do is show up to work on time, do the job you are trained to do, and don’t BS anyone. Especially your bosses and senior officers. Seriously if facial hair is important to you, wait until you get off probation.
    When you arrive at the academy always dress in business attire. Every day show up in business attire. Listen to the instructions that are given to you. Eyes and ears open and mouths shut!!! You have to realize and accept that you’ve accepted a job that is a para military agency. The academy will be run as such. If you don’t know what “para military” means, look it up. The reason why I say this is because people do have a hard time with it and quit. My advice for you is DON’T QUIT!!!!
    You put your time and money into getting the position and the state has put time and money in processing you to offer you the position. If you quit, you quit on yourself, and you took a job away from someone who wanted the job. So quitting shouldn’t be an option or a thought in your head.
    So congrats to those who got called. I’ve been on the job going on 5 years now and it’s the best job I’ve ever had. Best of luck to you all in the academy!!!

Comment

• larry_singer
      larry_singer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!!!

• Rat95
      Rat95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Maybe you can answer a question on head hair as well? I’m not certain as to how short. I know men don’t have to be bald. I’d like to
      Keep my hair as long as it is allowed to be in the academy, got any information on that?

• TDD57
      TDD57 commented
      Editing a comment
      Men’s hair can’t be long and it has to be short. Can’t be touching the ears or the collar of your shirt. It has to be clean and upkept. If the instructors feel you need a haircut, they will tell you.

• Congratulations!!!! I was apart of the last class to be upstate. I’ve been in my command for 6 weeks and love it.

I hope you all enjoy the journey!!!!

Comment

• EPH
      EPH commented
      Editing a comment
      Since you recently finished the academy, can I ask, is there a set time we are required to do a 1.5 mile run in either the beginning or end of the academy and if so do you remember what the limit is?

• JOLLY-461
      JOLLY-461 commented
      Editing a comment
      NJdigiovanni for you guys when was your initial physical evaluation? We start Thursday. I'm thinking Friday at the soonest. I'm just looking at planning out my workouts before Thursday as to keep prepping but also give myself good recovery time.

• Yes, there is a set time. It has to be completed by the end. I am unable to say what the qualifying time is. My first run was 14:15 and my fastest toward the end was 11:17.

What is is your current run time?

Comment

• Joey1995
      Joey1995 commented
      Editing a comment
      My best 1.5 mile (treadmill) was 15:28 ive been trying to get it down ive been trying to work on my breathing and not get gassed halfway through

• EPH
      EPH commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m averaging right around 14 so I’m glad to hear I’m on par with where you were at the start. Thank you for the help.

• Guys, get those run times down! You don't want to be at the back of the pack. I would be running 2-3 miles per day minimum. Also, pushups, situps and mountain climbers. Trust me, you are going to want to be ready for what they throw at you. Don't quit!!! We need you guys!!!

Comment

• Rat95
      Rat95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Recovering from a foot injury, first run out this season I hit 12:15 for 1.5 Will gladly start at this time for the academy judging from the times that some graduates have posted. Do you know how many times we will be running a week?

• Good luck to everyone starting the academy this Thursday. Looks like I didn't make this one, I'm sure I would have got the call by now. Does anyone know when the next one they are planning will be? Also unless it's been a year the only thing I would have to redo is the medical, correct?

Comment

• Question for all the tier 6 officers on here. I was told that we have to do 30 years and hit age 63 and we would receive 60% of our final average salary. I was looking through the state retirement website and couldn't find anything that verifies that. Was anybody else told the same thing? And if so do you have any documentation backing it up? Thanks everyone and be safe.

Comment

• Paul88
        Paul88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed is true, it sucks. I am a Correction Officer took the test back in 2014 for court officer but I'am going to stay in my department, Correction officer have 25 and out half paid regardless of age. I have provided a link for NYS Court officer pension. As a tier 6 once you do 30 years and have not hit 63 you can still retired early I believe is 55 but you will get penalized.

https://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/p...ons/vo1856.php

• Congrats to everyone entering the academy.... its a long journey but i promise it is worth it. Just pay attention, keep your mouth shut and stay in shape. This is a great opportunity so dont waste it.

Comment

• Has anyone been dq'd and had any success in the appeal process ? I have an attorney but I dont want to spend the money if appeal chances are slim
        Thank you

Comment

• Holcroft
          Holcroft commented
          Editing a comment
          Theres always a chance, would depend what dq was based on.

• Does anyone know if the duty belts are supposed to be plain or basket weave? Any recc places for uniforms in the bronx?

Comment

• Jdot2116
          Jdot2116 commented
          Editing a comment
          Plain black leather belt

• So in all honesty, how boring is this job if placed upstate?

For academy, are you allowed to go home on weekends? Do you stay at Croton facility or a local hotel?

Are you paid starting right in beginning of the academy or does it take a while?

Thanks for any insight!
        Last edited by JakeDaSnake; 03-05-2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Ji33
          Ji33 commented
          Editing a comment
          Courts upstate vary from small quiet places to very busy. You could be in a court with only a couple other officers running around all day breaking up fights without a lot of backup like in the city.

• They are expecting a upstate academy in early April. Received a call for medical last week.

Comment

• If someone was considering changing location to upstate it would be too late to do so right , since the academy is expect to start in April ?

Comment

• Holcroft
            Holcroft commented
            Editing a comment
            Would depend on what steps you completed and your rank. If all you have to do is medical its possible you could make it in.
            Nm I just looked and class starts on april 4th so I would have to say its too late.
            Last edited by Holcroft; 03-10-2019, 10:50 AM.

• Can anyone advise the turnaround from graduating the academy to reporting to your command?

Comment

• Holcroft
            Holcroft commented
            Editing a comment
            Clean out your locker day after graduation and go home, report to your command next work day.
            Thats how it was upstate , maybe its different in city

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9267 users online. 436 members and 8831 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X