300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double post. deleted.
    Last edited by Modest23; 12-12-2018, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modest23 View Post
      Hey guys, I selected long island (nassau and suffolk) as my district when they started the canvassing. I know people were saying positions can be scarce there, but I have a family and a decent job so I'm not willing to switch my district. Also, I would be unable to do an academy upstate for those same obligations (The BK one would have to be open by then). I have my PAT tomorrow, and I'm wondering am I wasting my time/money going through the process because I'm never going to get called, or do I have a chance of getting into the academy with LI selected? I'm ranked in the 3500's btw. My plan is to just go through and see what happens for now since I would love the job if I could get placed on Long Island. Would like to hear peoples opinions. Thanks fellas!
      No one can tell you whats best for you. With that being said if you was canvassed to come in and start the process assume they’re calling you for the district you selected

Comment

• Modest23
        Modest23 commented
        Editing a comment
        For sure. Thanks for the response. I'm going to go through and hope everything works out for the best. Guess, I am really just curious if people have been getting called for LI, since I always see NYC and upstate in the group, and if anyone knows when the BK academy will open.
        Last edited by Modest23; 08-20-2018, 06:40 PM.

• You’re really rolling the dice with Nassau/Suffolk.
      Nassau only takes transfers so you’re really down to Suffolk. Impossible no so good luck.

Comment

• Is there any difference between NYPD banned substance list and NYS court officers banned substance list? I have been going by NYPD list due to being a prospective candidate, but I don't want to ruin my chances with court officers because of it. Thanks.

Comment

• Brute34690
          Brute34690 commented
          Editing a comment
          If it’s illegal then yeah your not going to get hired, but if talking about stuff you can get at gnc I don’t see any issue there.

• Jfee26
          Jfee26 commented
          Editing a comment
          I meant more so, I have been following the NYPD banned substance list for pre-workout. I have spoken to a few people who said use supplements that are cleared by NCAA standards, so I have. But i'm wondering if the NYSCO has any differences in their list so I can be certain i have nothing to worry about.

• Brute34690
          Brute34690 commented
          Editing a comment
          You should be fine I don’t believe courts have any banned list at least I was never told.

• Just got my call for the academy last night... Rank 21xx Nyc.... for those who were called already... how soon did you receive your “offical” email?

Comment

• R5891
          R5891 commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats! And I received it 24hrs later.

• J2H
          J2H commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats on getting in!

• Random question for those already on the job.. more specifically nyc officers... do court officers get the same privileges as NYPD where they ride the subway/lirr for free?

Comment

• Technically no but many conductors do extend that courtesy.
          Try to take the same train to and from and establish a “relationship” with the conductor.
          Do know that if something happens on train and they need help they will look for your for backup.

Comment

• Originally posted by New Job View Post
            Technically no but many conductors do extend that courtesy.
            Try to take the same train to and from and establish a “relationship” with the conductor.
            Do know that if something happens on train and they need help they will look for your for backup.
            As a court officer, are you required to carry your gun off duty like an NYPD officer?

Comment

• Holcroft
              Holcroft commented
              Editing a comment
              You are not required to carry off duty.

• Originally posted by New Job View Post
            Technically no but many conductors do extend that courtesy.
            How many questions is on the psychological?

Comment

• Holcroft
              Holcroft commented
              Editing a comment
              I would say close to a thousand? Its at least a cpl hours off filling in bubbles.

• Good luck to all those who start the academy tomorrow!

I hope everyone has everything on the required equipment list.

Comment

• Tnt4567
              Tnt4567 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, good luck to everyone else. Just keep your mouth shut, follow directions and everything will be fine.

And yes i hope everyone has everything it was relatively a small list.

• Congrats and best of luck to those starting the academy tomorrow!!! You’re starting the first day of your career in law enforcement with the best job in law enforcement!!! Hopefully you prepared yourself not just physically, but mentally. Eyes and ears open, and mouth shut! Do what you are told and take whatever challenge is thrown your way. Work with your classmates and enjoy the comradery that you are building. Seriously people be honored you were offered the position because there are people out there that wish they had the job. If you quit, you just took away a job that someone else wanted. So quitting shouldn’t be an option for you!!! You’ve worked hard to get offered the position. Now continue to work hard to earn the position by graduating 14-15 weeks from now.
            So best of luck and hopefully I’ll get to meet some of you when you graduate!!!

Comment

• I have a question about previously being prescribed an anti-anxiety for a month period, about five years ago. Would being prescribed an anti-anxiety for a brief period In the past be severely damaging to the chances of achieving this job?

For a little background, I want to the ER thinking I may have been having a heart attack (nauseous, stomach pain & shortness of breath). They couldn’t find because and determined it was likely a panic attack. They gave me an anti-anxiety and my doctor followed up with a month supply. I initially took the medication as directed (dr. knows best) but after a week I realized it was not necessary. Since that episode I have not had any issues or been prescribed anything again.

I’m just trying to get a feel for how this may be interpreted by a background investigator or a decision maker.
              Last edited by Camean; 09-09-2018, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Brute34690
                Brute34690 commented
                Editing a comment
                Well I’m not a back ground investigator but I have worked for several departments and have 11yrs in law enforcement. I would say it doesn’t look good for you simply because this day in age a lot of focus has been put on mental health and they may look at you as your a liability. Most back grounds are there to find things and weed people out. As for the courts they have so many applicants that they will most likely go with people with no negative history before going with someone who may possibly be a liability.

I am not speaking for any department other than my own opinion and things I have seen but I believe you will have difficulty getting in unless you have really positive attributes (documented awards, high profile contacts, buddies in the system, are a mountain of meat tough guy) . So if you don’t have something to off set the negative in your background I feel you have an up hill battle ahead of you. I wish the best luck to you though.

• Hey guys, I have my written psychological exam this week. Was just curious about roughly how long it takes so I can plan my day/commute. I am scheduled to be there no later than 8:30. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Holcroft
                Holcroft commented
                Editing a comment
                When I went didnt leave untill 6 pm but had meeting with background investigators too, so depends on what all you will be doing, if just the written part probably done by 1.

• Went for my PAT and passed end of August. Immediately gave me my BI and Written Psych. Did my written Psych today and received my Oral Psych in 2 weeks. Seems they are processing very quickly which I didn't think was the norm. Has anyone had the same experience? Is that a good sign? Thanks!

Comment

• Holcroft
                Holcroft commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you sure thats for oral psych and not for BI meeting?Oral psych is based on written psych and 2 weeks seems like way too quick,

• Is it necessary to shave off your beard for the Oral Psych?

Comment

• Holcroft
                Holcroft commented
                Editing a comment
                not necessary until its academy time,

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11135 users online. 448 members and 10687 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X