300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JFD516 View Post
    Hey can anyone explain what the deal is with their pension? I heard something like it was 32 years and you have to be 62, is that true?
    Worse-it's 63. You can thank Cuomo personally at the voting booth. http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/me...s_benefits.php
    RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• MS85
      MS85 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank the heavens I am not Tier 6 haha

• I received an email today for a retesting of Phase 1 physical ability test on 4/24.. I took the original physical on 4/20/17 so mine will be expired. I guess that either means they aren’t having a spring academy or I’m not in it. But wanted to give everyone an update. Did anyone else receive an email today for a retake of Phase 1?

Comment

• Holcroft
      Holcroft commented
      Editing a comment
      I take it you have completed your background check? and psych eval?

• SECFOR36
      SECFOR36 commented
      Editing a comment
      Got that same email!

• Mrosemond
      Mrosemond commented
      Editing a comment
      How grueling was the PAT I'm hearing about a lot of retakes

• Yes I completed all of that as well as take my medical exam a week before the academy started.. I passed that and was never called. Apparently I was a few guys shy of making it in the September academy. So now I have to retake phase 1 and if I get called for the next academy (whenever that’ll be) I will then have to retake my med exam since that is only good for 3 months.

Comment

• Any idea when the next exam is? This year?
      I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

Comment

• How long ago did you get the email for your PAT? Also when is your PAT scheduled for? I haven’t received an email yet but i was told mine would be valid through 4/15/18

Comment

• I got the email on Friday and the new test is scheduled for 4/24. I took mine last on 4/20/17

Comment

• Thanks for the update. I guess if anyone gets a medical date please let me know.

Comment

• Hey guys, is it true candidates upto 20,000 recieved emails for the PAT? Curious because im 11,000 and havent recieved anything since the initial canvas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tactical1 View Post
                Hey guys, is it true candidates upto 20,000 recieved emails for the PAT? Curious because im 11,000 and havent recieved anything since the initial canvas.
                Yes depending on what JD you chose previously

Comment

• If you picked city or downstate it's only up to 2847 , for upstate 26000 .So far only had 2 academy classes from this exam.

Comment

• I had to retake my PAT in January since it expired. A few weeks ago I got a letter that I passed the review board. Now just waiting for a medical date. Upstate

Comment

• mooky3408
                      mooky3408 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am in the same boat, retook my PAT in January and cleared everything else. Just awaiting a medical date as well. Upstate

• Just got my email to retake my PAT may 5th. It looks like NYC and downstate are gonna be in May and Upstate is going to be april.

Comment

• I got my retest a few days ago, not sure that I want to retake it. The whole process took such a long time that I am pretty much almost done with college now. Kind of a shame that it takes so long that people either cant wait and find other avenues or lose interest.

Comment

• homers54321
                        homers54321 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It doesn't hurt to retake it. You never know what's going to happen. Whether it's you can't find a job or you don't like your field

• The only advice I can offer you guys is to hang in there and stick it out...

Took me nearly 7 years to get OTJ... this was during the hiring freeze. It was the longest most difficult, challenging process I’ve ever been through. Literally had everything expire on me (multiple times), failed medicals, PAT’s retaken.... just an awful experience.

I was fast approaching the end of my tests lifespan and everything, all my testing had just expired. I had all but given up... I received notification that a class was scheduled to go in and if I was still interested, I would have to re-take everything over... written psych, PAT, medical... etc. it would all have to be done in less than 2 weeks.... I was like, “let’s do this!” At the very least I would have closure and be able to say I gave it everything I had.

I had passed everything all over again going into the pre appointment medical. My vision has always been borderline and wouldn’t you know it, I go into the final med with a slight eye infection.

They tell me at the end of the medical that I’m dq’d because of my vision... I literally tell them, “ No.... no I’m not... no way, nope, uh ah. I’ll come back tomorrow to retake the exam.” “Sorry, but you’re out of the process.” Again I’m like, “No... I’ll come back tomorrow. I didn’t come this far to get dq’d because my eyes are a little blurry today.”

In a nutshell I was told that they couldn’t stop me from coming back but it would just be a waste of my time. That I would have to pay for the visit myself and it would basically be a waste of my time because, as far as they were concerned, I was done.

I got downstairs and called my wife. Told her to call my eye doctor and get me an appointment for that night. Took the train back to L.I. and went straight to the Dr. .. got hooked up with some eye drops after explaining what had happened and what was on the line. Went home and applied warm compresses to my eyes all night, drops, etc... Woke up early and headed back into Manhattan. Retook and passed the eye exam... the nurse was smiling and laughing... she couldn’t believe it.

I begged them to please forward the results to OCA ....ASAP! They assured me that they would but couldn’t promise that the results would be accepted.

I left there and headed home knowing I had given it everything I had in me... I fought as hard as I possibly could. If it didn’t work out, it wasn’t on me.

I prayed. A lot.

A few days later I received a letter congratulating me on being appointed to the academy.... I read that letter with tears streaming down my face.

Been OTJ 2 years and just came off probation... best job I’ve ever had. BTW... I was 47 when I entered the academy.

Never. Quit.
                      Last edited by PACE; 03-31-2018, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PACE View Post
                        The only advice I can offer you guys is to hang in there and stick it out...

Took me nearly 7 years to get OTJ... this was during the hiring freeze. It was the longest most difficult, challenging process I’ve ever been through. Literally had everything expire on me (multiple times), failed medicals, PAT’s retaken.... just an awful experience.

I was fast approaching the end of my tests lifespan and everything, all my testing had just expired. I had all but given up... I received notification that a class was scheduled to go in and if I was still interested, I would have to re-take everything over... written psych, PAT, medical... etc. it would all have to be done in less than 2 weeks.... I was like, “let’s do this!” At the very least I would have closure and be able to say I gave it everything I had.

I had passed everything all over again going into the pre appointment medical. My vision has always been borderline and wouldn’t you know it, I go into the final med with a slight eye infection.

They tell me at the end of the medical that I’m dq’d because of my vision... I literally tell them, “ No.... no I’m not... no way, nope, uh ah. I’ll come back tomorrow to retake the exam.” “Sorry, but you’re out of the process.” Again I’m like, “No... I’ll come back tomorrow. I didn’t come this far to get dq’d because my eyes are a little blurry today.”

In a nutshell I was told that they couldn’t stop me from coming back but it would just be a waste of my time. That I would have to pay for the visit myself and it would basically be a waste of my time because, as far as they were concerned, I was done.

I got downstairs and called my wife. Told her to call my eye doctor and get me an appointment for that night. Took the train back to L.I. and went straight to the Dr. .. got hooked up with some eye drops after explaining what had happened and what was on the line. Went home and applied warm compresses to my eyes all night, drops, etc... Woke up early and headed back into Manhattan. Retook and passed the eye exam... the nurse was smiling and laughing... she couldn’t believe it.

I begged them to please forward the results to OCA ....ASAP! They assured me that they would but couldn’t promise that the results would be accepted.

I left there and headed home knowing I had given it everything I had in me... I fought as hard as I possibly could. If it didn’t work out, it wasn’t on me.

I prayed. A lot.

A few days later I received a letter congratulating me on being appointed to the academy.... I read that letter with tears streaming down my face.

Been OTJ 2 years and just came off probation... best job I’ve ever had. BTW... I was 47 when I entered the academy.

Never. Quit.
                        Excellent news. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10064 users online. 379 members and 9685 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X