300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mike17 View Post
    Got the call for the academy on thursday and just a few questions for guys that went through the academy recently. Been doing intense training since july and was just wondering what daily PT consists of and do you have PT exams? Any info on what the numbers you have to reach are and what happens if you dont pass the PT exams? Thanks and looking forward to meeting everyone that got or is getting called on sept 5th!
    First off, congrats on getting the call to the academy! As for the daily PT at the academy, it consist of circuit traing with push ups, sit ups, and mountain climbers. Also you'll have a mile class runs outside. You'll do all of this as one unit with your classmates. Yes you'll be assessed on your PT (push-ups and sit-ups) and 1 1/2 mile runs. If you fail the final assessment before graduation, you'll fail the academy. They will not tell you any specific numbers you need to pass. If you are in shape for the academy, you'll be able to tolerate the PT and pass the assessments. The PT at the academy is no joke. It won't be easy, so be prepared to work. Best of luck to you and once again congrats to getting the call.

Comment

• Anyone from NYC got the call? Can we be instant carpool buddies

Comment

• AcademyBound
        AcademyBound commented
        Editing a comment
        First, congratulations! I'm in The Bronx.

• Maria2theV
        Maria2theV commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome!! Congratulations to you as well!!

• Maria2theV
        Maria2theV commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome!! Congratulations to you as well!!

• Hello everyone. Congrats to all who got the call. I know it seems like an eternity. And to those who are still waiting don't give up. I took the test one time before this one and finally got called. It's a process but I know it'll be well worth the wait.
      New to the forum. Nervous and excited about the academy. Got the call last week. A few questions if anyone could answer I would be grateful.
      -We are arriving in business attire but do we need to bring several suits? Will there be other days where suits will be required?
      -Besides, the required equipment it's ok to bring our toiletries, etc. needed for the week, right?

-Speaking of equipment, anyone else finding it difficult to find soft shell knee/elbow pads? If not, could you tell me where you got yours from?
      Silly question but do we need a loose leaf binder to hold the paper or do they want us to just bring paper as they will provide a specific binder with information already included and then we will add to it with our notes?

-I heard there's a curfew, what time does that kick in?

-When does health insurance kick in?

-Are we paid weekly, bi-weekly?

-If the hotel is being paid for Sunday-Thursday, what time do we need to check in on Sunday? Also, do they mean it's covered until Thursday night so we check out on Friday morning?

Lastly, anyone coming from The Bronx?
      Last edited by AcademyBound; 08-28-2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AcademyBound View Post
        Hello everyone. Congrats to all who got the call. I know it seems like an eternity. And to those who are still waiting don't give up. I took the test one time before this one and finally got called. It's a process but I know it'll be well worth the wait.
        New to the forum. Nervous and excited about the academy. Got the call last week. A few questions if anyone could answer I would be grateful.
        -We are arriving in business attire but do we need to bring several suits? Will there be other days where suits will be required?
        -Besides, the required equipment it's ok to bring our toiletries, etc. needed for the week, right?

-Speaking of equipment, anyone else finding it difficult to find soft shell knee/elbow pads? If not, could you tell me where you got yours from?
        Silly question but do we need a loose leaf binder to hold the paper or do they want us to just bring paper as they will provide a specific binder with information already included and then we will add to it with our notes?

-I heard there's a curfew, what time does that kick in?

-When does health insurance kick in?

-Are we paid weekly, bi-weekly?

-If the hotel is being paid for Sunday-Thursday, what time do we need to check in on Sunday? Also, do they mean it's covered until Thursday night so we check out on Friday morning?

Lastly, anyone coming from The Bronx?
        -You'll go to the academy in business attire EVERYDAY. Once inside the academy the instructors will tell you what you'll dress in for the day (uniforms, when they are issued to you, or PT gear).
        -Bring with you whatever you need for the week for toiletries.
        -Go to a sporting goods store or online and look into volleyball equipment. They have soft shell knee pads. What many of us did was buy pairs that fit both your knees and elbows. Smaller pair works for the elbows.
        -The loose leaf paper you are required to bring is for the notes you'll take and put into binders the academy will provide for you. The notes will help you study what information is in the binders.
        -The curfew will be what the academy tells you. Pay attention to what it is. If you don't, then have fun with the consequences that will be given to you and your class.
        -The health insurance will kick in as soon as the department of personal gets your information to be processed.
        -Yes you are paid bi-weekly.
        -Pay attention to the instructors on what time you will check in and check out of the hotel. If you want to stay in the hotel for the weekend, it's on your dime.
        - To answer your last question, no I'm not from the Bronx and no I won't be in your class. I'm already on the job with the Courts. Congrats on getting the call and best of luck to you!

Comment

• Thank you TDD57 for your time and for the information provided. It's much appreciated and was very helpful.

Comment

• Congratulations to everyone headed to the academy.... has anyone received a call this week or does anyone know if they have stopped making calls?? Was really hoping to make it into the September academy but i have a feeling i may miss the cut.

Comment

• AcademyBound
              AcademyBound commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't heard anything. It's very possible they will make calls up until Friday. Call them to find out. Best of luck.

• First off, congratulations to those who have been called and starting the academy this upcoming week!

Secondly, I'm curious about the process and where the rest of the field stands and what happens with that pool. Do background and board reviews still continue with applicants being notified over time? Does the process slow down? If a person is completely out are they notified or does communication regarding these items not occur?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhelvie View Post
              First off, congratulations to those who have been called and starting the academy this upcoming week!

Secondly, I'm curious about the process and where the rest of the field stands and what happens with that pool. Do background and board reviews still continue with applicants being notified over time? Does the process slow down? If a person is completely out are they notified or does communication regarding these items not occur?
              The process goes by as fast and as slow as you make it to be. Depends on what is needed from you and how fast you get it or do it. Once you start the process, it goes as far until you have passed all of the phases or you are DQ'd. You will be informed of either one. Hope that was able to answer your questions.

Comment

• Good luck to all who are starting the academy this week. This is your first step of a great career on this job. You'll all be coming in from different places with different backgrounds. As you may be different from one another, your goal on day one should be working together to be as ONE! You'll have to depend on each other and help each other in the academy. This lesson will be taught in the academy for the reason that you are now on a job where dependency is important. Honor, integrity, and honesty are also important aspects you'll learn to have as well. Hopefully ALL of you are there because you WANT to be there. Best of luck to you! This is the best Law Enforcement job out there and will be a job you'll never regret getting onto.

Comment

• AcademyBound
                  AcademyBound commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for your time, support, & words of wisdom.

• anybody know what are the exact requirements to pass the physical part of the academy if they even have a physical testing . like whats the time to pass a mile in a half ?

Comment

• Originally posted by BT5932 View Post
                anybody know what are the exact requirements to pass the physical part of the academy if they even have a physical testing . like whats the time to pass a mile in a half ?
                If you go to the court officer website they show you exactly what is required. There is a push up and sit up test. Also there is a beep test and agility cone drill. They dont tell you exactly how many you need to pass but assuming you are In decent/good shape you shouldnt have any problems passing.

Comment

• Good luck to all starting the academy!

I know that scores of 93 and above have begun processing for NYC but can anyone shed some light into what number this current academy reached and/or if someone with a list number in the mid 5500's (score of 91) has a shot before this current list expires? Thanks!

Comment

• Tactical1
                    Tactical1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Id like to know this too...i scored an 88 with a 11,000 list number. I feel as if there is no way they will get to the 11,000s with talks of the next exam already happening

• Good luck to those in the academy and to those still in the process. This Friday I will be coming off my 2 year probation, time is flying lol

Comment

• I'm hoping there will be an exam in 2018. I've heard there is and I'm planning on taking it. Was just curious to know how the exam was broken down into parts? Want to know what to study!

Oh and also. Say if the exam happened to go well and say I scored a 92. I have to pick my jurisdiction correct? 3-8 is a large portion and I live in it but would it be possible to apply for only jurisdiction 8? I know the scores don't have to be as high upstate so how would that work? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
                    Last edited by jim2929; 09-21-2017, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• AcademyBound
                      AcademyBound commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just get one of those Barron's guides at Barnes & Noble or online & study that book. You'll be fine.

You can't apply for only 8. You will be given a sheet to put your preference in order. However, it does NOT guarantee you will get what you prefer. The Chief said they try their best to accommodate recruits but you can be placed anywhere. Once you get there you can't transfer districts until you've completed a year on the job. Hope that helps.

• I have taken the test in 2014 and scored a 88 rank 10***.
                    I have switch my location preference from JD9 to JD3-8 and was they would call for conditional appointments in Spring of 2018. Was this a mistake to switch? I initially did this to better my changed of getting started because JD9 was not lowering to my score bracket and I was worried I would lose my opportunity. I think JD3-8 recently already called for a conditional this year for my score bracket so did I lose my chance? Would the new exam in 2018 conflict with my chance of getting called?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12211 users online. 420 members and 11791 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X