300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hawkeye006 View Post
    yes absolutely sure I just read it over again before posting, and I guess that makes sense, is the town hiring process different from the state process? Like is it the same pat or is it more common process background check and interview
    Well we don't even know what agency you're processing for to answer that question

Comment

• Hawkeye...Read the posting again. I, may be wrong, but I believe the County handles all the testing for the job.

Comment

• Hey all, anybody else waiting to do the medical? I've been waiting a few months to hear something after clearing the board..

Comment

• RG-D2
          RG-D2 commented
          Editing a comment
          What was the last correspondence you have had?

• It was that I had been cleared by the board. That was back in March. Haven't heard anything since. I have heard if people getting email in their spam. Just hoping that I didn't miss any correspondence because if this. This is why I'm asking if anybody else is waiting to hear for the medical.

Comment

• rush1982
          rush1982 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, how about how long did it take to find out you were cleared by the board after your face to face psychological?

• Congratulations!!! To those who are about to graduate from the upstate academy. You guys have worked your butts off and have earned the right to walk across the stage. Enjoy it and have fun on graduation day. When you get to your commands, follow and listen to the senior officers. Learn the do's and don'ts of the job. Set the path for yourself to be successful in your career.
        As for the people who are waiting for the final medical appointment. You'll get called for it when a new academy class is set to go in. After that is the wait for the call to accept appointment into the academy. Hopefully you have kept in shape. I know it's summer time and all of the fun activities that comes with it, but please do yourself a favor and stay in shape. If you get called to go in the academy and you let yourself get out of shape, you'll regret when the PT starts. As I've said before the academy is no joke.
        Best of luck to all who are about to start at their commands and those who are about to go into another academy class. Hopefully very soon.

Comment

• Has anyone heard anything new about when they plan to start a new academy?

Comment

• Does anyone Happen to Know if NYS Court Officers are on the same Pay Scale as NYS Correction Officers?
            also, how long does it take to get back to the WNY Area..

Weighing my options to see if I should even go for the Physical. Or just stay Corrections
            NYSDOCCS: Score 85

MED/PHYSICAL: October 6th

Written Psych: October 10th

Psych 1 on 1: Nov 2nd

Appointed: ????

Comment

• Hi, does anyone know what the waiting period is to find out if you get cleared by the board after your face to face psychological? I know it's probably different for everyone but just wondering what everyone's elses experience was like. Thank you and good luck to everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ohkeo View Post
                Does anyone Happen to Know if NYS Court Officers are on the same Pay Scale as NYS Correction Officers?
                also, how long does it take to get back to the WNY Area..

Weighing my options to see if I should even go for the Physical. Or just stay Corrections
                New York State Court Officer-Trainees enter the academy at Judicial Grade 16. After successful completion of a two-year traineeship, court officers automatically promote to Judicial Grade 19. The salary range for these two grades from hiring rate to maximum may be $44,504 to $75,389.
                • Twelve (12) Paid Holidays
                • Pre-Tour Prep Leave Time
                • Regular Work Schedule
                • Twenty (20) Paid Vacation Days in the First Year
                • Twenty-Seven (27) Paid Vacation Days by Seventh Year
                • Excellent Health Insurance
                • Retirement Benefits
                • Limited Evening and Weekend Assignments
                • Deferred Compensation Option
                • Location Pay Differential for New York City - Metropolitan Area is $3,697

Comment

• Ohkeo, I have experience in both titles. Corrections a grade 14 and Court officers grade JG16/19 are similar but each pay scale is unique to its bargaining unit. Corrections only have nyscopba where as court officers have I believe 4 or more different unions based on location. Upstate court officers districts 3-8 are CSEA which is not a law enforcement focused union so don't expect them to be like nyscopba. You can find the pay calendar on the judicial CSEA website via google search. Many people from corrections to Courts do not last in the courts. Mostly because the time off is not there that they were used to in corrections. You will make more money as a corrections officer with more opportunity to advance. Treatment of officers and the job itself is nearly the same, but court officers are mainly 9-5 with little overtime. Sometimes you may have to work Saturday and until you have seniority in title you will not have Friday or mondays off on a slip. Bang in's are a hallmark of corrections but frowned upon in courts. Both are great careers with each having it's pluses and drawbacks. Your time in corrections does not count towards seniority but does towards retirement. Depending on your retirement tier you might be a 30yr/age 55 @60% or have to work till your 63 compared to the 25yr corrections has. Though the courts may change the retirement in coming years but probably not until coumo is out of office and that goes for the police status that coumo has vetoed as well. A large plus of the courts is that the only bosses you have are law enforcement ranks and judges, not civilians(supers,deps, appointed commissioners) and the governor. Also courts are HR218 friendly and friendly towards off duty carry as long as you follow the guidelines. The indemnification is broader for courts as it covers you off duty as well where as corrections frowns upon off duty activity. Like I said each have the pluses and minuses. Make an informed decision go to a local court that has nys court officers and ask them any questions may have. Don't be someone who takes a spot away from others in an academy just to decide it's not for you, there are a lot of hopeful people looking to get into this job. I heard there was 100,000 that took the last exam and only 30,000 passed and much fewer will be offered the a spot upon the ranks. Regardless if you stay in corrections or make the move be proud you are a law enforcement officer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo_Robocop View Post
                    Ohkeo, I have experience in both titles. Corrections a grade 14 and Court officers grade JG16/19 are similar but each pay scale is unique to its bargaining unit. Corrections only have nyscopba where as court officers have I believe 4 or more different unions based on location. Upstate court officers districts 3-8 are CSEA which is not a law enforcement focused union so don't expect them to be like nyscopba. You can find the pay calendar on the judicial CSEA website via google search. Many people from corrections to Courts do not last in the courts. Mostly because the time off is not there that they were used to in corrections. You will make more money as a corrections officer with more opportunity to advance. Treatment of officers and the job itself is nearly the same, but court officers are mainly 9-5 with little overtime. Sometimes you may have to work Saturday and until you have seniority in title you will not have Friday or mondays off on a slip. Bang in's are a hallmark of corrections but frowned upon in courts. Both are great careers with each having it's pluses and drawbacks. Your time in corrections does not count towards seniority but does towards retirement. Depending on your retirement tier you might be a 30yr/age 55 @60% or have to work till your 63 compared to the 25yr corrections has. Though the courts may change the retirement in coming years but probably not until coumo is out of office and that goes for the police status that coumo has vetoed as well. A large plus of the courts is that the only bosses you have are law enforcement ranks and judges, not civilians(supers,deps, appointed commissioners) and the governor. Also courts are HR218 friendly and friendly towards off duty carry as long as you follow the guidelines. The indemnification is broader for courts as it covers you off duty as well where as corrections frowns upon off duty activity. Like I said each have the pluses and minuses. Make an informed decision go to a local court that has nys court officers and ask them any questions may have. Don't be someone who takes a spot away from others in an academy just to decide it's not for you, there are a lot of hopeful people looking to get into this job. I heard there was 100,000 that took the last exam and only 30,000 passed and much fewer will be offered the a spot upon the ranks. Regardless if you stay in corrections or make the move be proud you are a law enforcement officer!
                    Can you tell me what reason people decided courts was not for them? I'm also coming from NYC corrections and just cannot fathom going to courts and feeling like it is not for me after busting my *** at work daily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jemma08 View Post

Can you tell me what reason people decided courts was not for them? I'm also coming from NYC corrections and just cannot fathom going to courts and feeling like it is not for me after busting my *** at work daily.
                      Because everyone is different. Why do people stay infantry in the military if they can go to another job or career. Maybe they don't like the sit and stand for 8 hours doing almost nothing job.

Comment

• Working in the courts, our job is what you make it to be. Just like any other job in Law Enforcement. Our pay scale has become comparable and competitive with other agencies with the exception of NYS Troopers. Those guys are on top of the food chain with the pay scale. My experience with people moving from Corrections to the Courts is that the people are happier with the move. Our schedule is the top perk and it gives people a more normal life. Not to say we don't have odd shifts as NYC has night court. Upstate doesn't have night court. Our job has its days were it is balls to the wall busy, but also less than hectic as well. All depends on the Courts calendar for the day determines how busy you're going to be. It's not a "8 hours doing almost nothing job". So whoever is deciding to make the move from Corrections to the Courts the job is what you make it to be. Both jobs have their pros and cons. In the end it's what you feel is best for you.

Comment

• Jemma08
                          Jemma08 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you for clarifying.

• Originally posted by TDD57 View Post
                        Working in the courts, our job is what you make it to be. Just like any other job in Law Enforcement. Our pay scale has become comparable and competitive with other agencies with the exception of NYS Troopers. Those guys are on top of the food chain with the pay scale. My experience with people moving from Corrections to the Courts is that the people are happier with the move. Our schedule is the top perk and it gives people a more normal life. Not to say we don't have odd shifts as NYC has night court. Upstate doesn't have night court. Our job has its days were it is balls to the wall busy, but also less than hectic as well. All depends on the Courts calendar for the day determines how busy you're going to be. It's not a "8 hours doing almost nothing job". So whoever is deciding to make the move from Corrections to the Courts the job is what you make it to be. Both jobs have their pros and cons. In the end it's what you feel is best for you.
                        My apologies with the 8 hours doing almost nothing remark was a bit harsh.

Comment

• Originally posted by The hopeful View Post

My apologies with the 8 hours doing almost nothing remark was a bit harsh.
                          No worries. All is good. Be safe out there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7186 users online. 274 members and 6912 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X