300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The hopeful View Post
    2014 test takers werent given that opportunity. You was only allowed to choose one section and we couldnt choose statewide
    This and for me I would only choose suffolk or nassau or wouldn't bother. Commute to city is nuts... forget it if there is a delay or bad weather. .. 1hr or more each way. The other districts wouldn't work since I don't want to move. From what I can find of other back posts they canvass suffolk/nassau a few times. So fingers crossed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phalenxz View Post
      This and for me I would only choose suffolk or nassau or wouldn't bother. Commute to city is nuts... forget it if there is a delay or bad weather. .. 1hr or more each way. The other districts wouldn't work since I don't want to move. From what I can find of other back posts they canvass suffolk/nassau a few times. So fingers crossed.
      You do know the academy is in lower Manhattan right? They rarely canvass Nassau, you'd have a better shot at Suffolk. In a class of 150 maybe 10 or 15 go to Long Island. Most people work in the city and pay their dues then transfer East
      Last edited by unblindeacon; 08-18-2016, 07:58 PM.
      http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
      NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

LOL 1 hr or more?? That's nothing.

People have done YEARS with commutes double that each way. There have been poor souls living out east on LI getting assigned to the Bronx and doing it until they finally caught a transfer

Comment

I work upstate and my first command was a few hours away from my home. At first you might have to make some sacrifices while on the job. Nature of the beast you have to accept if you truly want it. If you want this, you might want to reopen you preference of work location to the city. Then put in a transfer out to the island. It will take some time, but like the others (OTJ) that posted before you have to pay your dues. Best of luck to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabbage View Post

People have done YEARS with commutes double that each way. There have been poor souls living out east on LI getting assigned to the Bronx and doing it until they finally caught a transfer
            Some people dont want to do that. Some people are willing to make that commute and suffer but who knows for how long? I know I dont to want to do more than an hour and a half commute and I dont have a family or anything of the sort.

Comment

• Whats up fellas/ladies. Took the PAT and vision test on 8/16 rank 42x. I was told to get started on the questionaire because I would most likely be getting an email to go and start my backround investigation and fingerprints etc. around oct.

I am currently a CO for NYSDOCCS with 2 years in but I am tier 3 because of previous service as a civilian. I am now hearing that there isnt retirement for service time, only age. Anyone know anything about that? I want to transfer to courts but not if I have to work to age 63. As of right now I can retire in 23 years at the age of 52. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Pretty sure you keep your tier 3 . And I was there on tuesday as well. But i would try emailing someone in courts who would know ... Maybe this person:
                Keith Miller - Principal Management Analyst
                Email: [email protected]

Comment

• Originally posted by BigMerf87 View Post
                  Whats up fellas/ladies. Took the PAT and vision test on 8/16 rank 42x. I was told to get started on the questionaire because I would most likely be getting an email to go and start my backround investigation and fingerprints etc. around oct.

I am currently a CO for NYSDOCCS with 2 years in but I am tier 3 because of previous service as a civilian. I am now hearing that there isnt retirement for service time, only age. Anyone know anything about that? I want to transfer to courts but not if I have to work to age 63. As of right now I can retire in 23 years at the age of 52. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
                  Check your PM. Don't call Keith miller. Court analysts won't know anything about carrying over a pension.
                  http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                  NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabbage View Post

Not sure why you are laughing.. my opinion is that driving an hour or more to work is insane. That's not a high quality of life, less time for your kids/self. "Poor souls" not to be mean but they choose that job I don't feel bad. For the last time we only got to choose one area for canvassing. I don't feel the need to sacrifice a good 2 to 4 hours a day for a job... . I work to live not live to work.

Comment

Not sure why you are laughing.. my opinion is that driving an hour or more to work is insane. That's not a high quality of life, less time for your kids/self. "Poor souls" not to be mean but they choose that job I don't feel bad. For the last time we only got to choose one area for canvassing. I don't feel the need to sacrifice a good 2 to 4 hours a day for a job... . I work to live not live to work.
                      You might be discovering that this job might not be for you. A long commute is not unheard of and A LOT of people OTJ have done it. It's a sacrifice they made because they truly wanted the job. Something they had to do until they got closer to home. So if you are looking to get back to the island out of the academy, most likely it won't happen. You have to realize there are people OTJ, with senority, that have transfers to the island. People who paid their dues. If that is something you're not willing to do, then maybe you should rethink about going further with the hiring process.

Comment

• Originally posted by TDD57 View Post
                        You might be discovering that this job might not be for you. A long commute is not unheard of and A LOT of people OTJ have done it. It's a sacrifice they made because they truly wanted the job. Something they had to do until they got closer to home. So if you are looking to get back to the island out of the academy, most likely it won't happen. You have to realize there are people OTJ, with senority, that have transfers to the island. People who paid their dues. If that is something you're not willing to do, then maybe you should rethink about going further with the hiring process.

The getting out to the island out of the Academy doesn't make sense. They allow us to only pick one, suffolk and nassau being the slimmest of chances. So I choose the harder one to get my feet wet.. and I'm going to be placed somewhere else?? When I have the chance of choosing a less staffed district then transferin over.. I might be missing something but that makes no sense... Also the "paid their dues" that just means they found away to skirt the system.... They took the job at the city at their own accord (more likely to get the job), knowing eventually they could transfer to another place, because they were not able to score higher on the test. If they choose suffolk and we're placed somewhere else... then the city lied to them... (I highly doubt) I wouldn't stay on the job then. For reference, my friend choose suffolk and got placed into suffolk. I'm not trying to be mean but I'm curious if they really do this?? Anyone know?

Comment

The getting out to the island out of the Academy doesn't make sense. They allow us to only pick one, suffolk and nassau being the slimmest of chances. So I choose the harder one to get my feet wet.. and I'm going to be placed somewhere else?? When I have the chance of choosing a less staffed district then transferin over.. I might be missing something but that makes no sense... Also the "paid their dues" that just means they found away to skirt the system.... They took the job at the city at their own accord (more likely to get the job), knowing eventually they could transfer to another place, because they were not able to score higher on the test. If they choose suffolk and we're placed somewhere else... then the city lied to them... (I highly doubt) I wouldn't stay on the job then. For reference, my friend choose suffolk and got placed into suffolk. I'm not trying to be mean but I'm curious if they really do this?? Anyone know?
                          You are making some assumptions here, and being OTJ with another agency you should know that "should've done better on the test" won't win you any friends.

Anyway, you will have to work to age 55 as we USED to have 30/55 retirement and you already have time in the system. New hires are age 63

Comment

When you start the hiring process you'll receive info of what JD you'll be processing for. When you get the call to be hired you'll be told what JD you'll be working in. Now you might also get a call to see if you'll be interested in working in another JD. Or you (yourself) could reopen your preference of JD you like to work in. Some guys on here, who are OTJ, made suggestions for you to do this as to help you get the job faster. Since I've been OTJ I've heard Long Island is hard to get. Not impossible to be offered to get out of the academy, but still hard to get. Hopefully that clarify's any confusion.
                            Also "paying their dues" is something a lot of people do on this job. It has nothing to do with their score on the test. Nor is it a reflection on the person who you might think "skirt the system". People who truly want this job will do what it takes to get the job. Long commutes and all. In the end the bigger picture gives the best quality of life because of the job and their sacrifices.

Comment

• Hey Phalenxz whats up my brother. I work in bronx criminal court and trust me when i say, somebody with your attitude would not stand 2 min in the command. Do all of us city guys a favor and stay out in long island. Actually hope you get a captain out there who is a former academy instructor, cause he does read this thread and hope he sees the garbage somebody that hasnt even passed all stages is writing. Good luck. Hope you never have to call a 10-85 with that **** poor attitude.

Comment

• Phalenxz, there is a very slim chance that you would get Suffolk and an almost guaranteed no that you will get Nassau right out of the academy. I had buddies of mine who just got their transfers to Nassau and Suffolk after 5 years of being in the Bronx and Queens. Some people I know have been waiting longer than that. Just put in your time, keep your nose clean, and sooner or later, it will happen. You have to be patient.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6001 users online. 301 members and 5700 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X