Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYS Court Officers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by 2010take2 View Post
    I wish you can were shoes, but no. To play it safe I also weighed my clothes at home and found my lightest shorts and shirts. (people have gone down to their underwear if needed). I was told to lose weight and come back. Appx 1 to 2 weeks before second weighin I received a letter that hiring had been frozen. Anyone past the weighin would go on to complete the process. Its an archaic weight system (i wear a loose 34" pants and run 3.5 miles several times a week and i'm still 15 lbs over). No mistakes this time, i will show up at 194 or below.
    Thanks for all of the info you have given...it is very helpful. Last time, did they tell you how long it would be before the second weigh-in (before they froze hiring)? I may be over by a few pounds. Trying hard not to have that be the case, but I am curious how long it could be if I am not able to make the weight.

    Comment


    • Thanks 2010take2. Good luck.

      Comment


      • Finally, got registered. Well, did pretty good on last exam, aced it, ranked in top 50. Got my canvass for NYC and my pre-screening medical is set for 12/6/10. Lost 30 pounds in the last 6 weeks down to fighting trim, running 3 miles a day, weights 3-4 times a week benching over 200lbs, 60 situps in 60 seconds. Eyesight is 20/30 without glasses. BP okay. Hearing okay. Color vision normal. All set. Only thing, I just turned 55.

        Comment


        • Same test as everyone else here- received both canvass letters for NYC, scored a 93.4, I am in the 14**, and as of today, have not yet received my date for pre medical. But from what I am hearing it seems to be the second weeK in Dec. For my sake, I hope it is the third week, cause trying to make this weight.Or even better January.
          The weight restriction is crazy. Not everyone has the same body type, I am 6' 3" and have a very large frame, so me at 240, may be the equivalent to your average joe at 220. For me to weigh 220, I would be down to bare bones.
          I have been dieting, ever since I received the second canvass letter. I originally weighed 260, I am done to 245, maybe I can get down to 235, but 220??
          Its a shame, because you would think they would want not only guys in good shape, but also bigger stronger guys on the job?
          Its discouraging, waiting all this time to be called, and cant finish the process because of a weight restriction. I could understand if they went by body fat percentage, ok, but weight is not an accuarate measurment of someone's body fat, which would be a more accuarate measurment.
          And the way things are going with this economy, you may only have one chance. I am only specualting, and I hope I am wrong, but maybe if you fail, then you lose the weight, and guess what, hiring freeze.
          I am gonna pray I am wrong, and that they do have common snese with these weigh ins, and we all pass, and meet in the next class.
          Happy turkey day to all.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by imijx View Post
            Finally, got registered. Well, did pretty good on last exam, aced it, ranked in top 50. Got my canvass for NYC and my pre-screening medical is set for 12/6/10. Lost 30 pounds in the last 6 weeks down to fighting trim, running 3 miles a day, weights 3-4 times a week benching over 200lbs, 60 situps in 60 seconds. Eyesight is 20/30 without glasses. BP okay. Hearing okay. Color vision normal. All set. Only thing, I just turned 55.
            How did you lose thirty lbs in 6 weeks?? wow

            Comment


            • 5lbs a week. Not too hard if you have a descent amount of extra weight.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Led71 View Post
                Same test as everyone else here- received both canvass letters for NYC, scored a 93.4, I am in the 14**, and as of today, have not yet received my date for pre medical. But from what I am hearing it seems to be the second weeK in Dec. For my sake, I hope it is the third week, cause trying to make this weight.Or even better January.
                The weight restriction is crazy. Not everyone has the same body type, I am 6' 3" and have a very large frame, so me at 240, may be the equivalent to your average joe at 220. For me to weigh 220, I would be down to bare bones.
                I have been dieting, ever since I received the second canvass letter. I originally weighed 260, I am done to 245, maybe I can get down to 235, but 220??
                Its a shame, because you would think they would want not only guys in good shape, but also bigger stronger guys on the job?
                Its discouraging, waiting all this time to be called, and cant finish the process because of a weight restriction. I could understand if they went by body fat percentage, ok, but weight is not an accuarate measurment of someone's body fat, which would be a more accuarate measurment.
                And the way things are going with this economy, you may only have one chance. I am only specualting, and I hope I am wrong, but maybe if you fail, then you lose the weight, and guess what, hiring freeze.
                I am gonna pray I am wrong, and that they do have common snese with these weigh ins, and we all pass, and meet in the next class.
                Happy turkey day to all.
                Led 71, I totally agree with you on this weight requirement issue. It is outdated and should be revised. With weight training and just natural evolution, people are a little bigger than they were 50 yrs ago. I'm 5'11, 217 lbs and in pretty good shape. So I will have to lose 15 lbs.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by imijx View Post
                  Finally, got registered. Well, did pretty good on last exam, aced it, ranked in top 50. Got my canvass for NYC and my pre-screening medical is set for 12/6/10. Lost 30 pounds in the last 6 weeks down to fighting trim, running 3 miles a day, weights 3-4 times a week benching over 200lbs, 60 situps in 60 seconds. Eyesight is 20/30 without glasses. BP okay. Hearing okay. Color vision normal. All set. Only thing, I just turned 55.
                  Imijx, great job getting in shape. I thought I would be the oldest guy in the academy, I'm 49. I'm in pretty good shape, I do sit ups, push ups, and pull ups almost every day. My vision is not so great, so I will most likely get the lasik surgery. I don't run either, maybe I should start doing some of that too. But way to go with being in good shape at 55 !

                  Comment


                  • Thanks Monkeyboy. Actually, it was pretty easy losing the weight, just listened to my oldest son, who is an all natural bodybuilder, and cut out all the carbs and sugars. Then I just ramped up my gym routine. That, plus the constant layoffs, every 90 days, at the largest communications/wireless/fiber corporation where I've worked for the last 25 years. Great incentive when you are desperate!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by imijx View Post
                      Thanks Monkeyboy. Actually, it was pretty easy losing the weight, just listened to my oldest son, who is an all natural bodybuilder, and cut out all the carbs and sugars. Then I just ramped up my gym routine. That, plus the constant layoffs, every 90 days, at the largest communications/wireless/fiber corporation where I've worked for the last 25 years. Great incentive when you are desperate!
                      don't mean to be nosy..but could you please PM me the telcom co. you're working for. I applied for a position with one company and looks like with each contract job security diminishes. I don't want to make a mistake and take an offer that goes no where. thanks in advance!
                      If you are in NYC...I can assume the obvious given the market, but just wanted to be sure.

                      Comment


                      • Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows which e mail address to use if you want to change or add to your location preferences. I sent an e mail to [email protected] requesting to add locations and I haven't heard back from them. I would think they would reply with some kind of confirmation or maybe I'm using the wrong e mail address. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Monkeyboy49 View Post
                          Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows which e mail address to use if you want to change or add to your location preferences. I sent an e mail to [email protected] requesting to add locations and I haven't heard back from them. I would think they would reply with some kind of confirmation or maybe I'm using the wrong e mail address. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
                          Try calling the number listed on the site to confirm they received your email. If no luck, I would try the exams unit # and see what they say.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                            Try calling the number listed on the site to confirm they received your email. If no luck, I would try the exams unit # and see what they say.
                            Thanks CivilServant14 ... I will call them Friday or Monday ... just wanted to add a couple of more locations to give myself a better shot ...

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Monkeyboy49 View Post
                              Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows which e mail address to use if you want to change or add to your location preferences. I sent an e mail to [email protected] requesting to add locations and I haven't heard back from them. I would think they would reply with some kind of confirmation or maybe I'm using the wrong e mail address. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
                              I emailed them (that same email address) to change my preferences a month or so ago and I did receive a confirmation within 24 hours. Maybe they are behind due to the holiday. I called to confirm my pre medical and left a message for my assigned contact, but I have not heard back. I am going to call again on Monday to verify. You might want to call just to make sure.

                              Comment


                              • Is new york city still the only jd that has canvassed?

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 8009 users online. 381 members and 7628 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X