300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Officer100 View Post
    Hey everyone. I know most of us are just waiting to get our turn. 2014 list!! But I have questions for any of you who may already be on the job.

From my understanding, it's a 9-5ish type of job with minimal OT, nights, and weekends.

I'm currently torn because I'm in the wait for NYPD as well. I'm attracted to the action, but I'm a mom and know that the erratic NYPD schedule is, by no means, family friendly. My son's dad is NYPD and I rather he get to see at least one of his parents on a regular basis.

I just want to know that if I give up NYPD, I won't be stuck at a metal detector all day or calling people on a list to see a judge.

I'm making more at my current job than I would in either LEO position so it's not about the money, but I just want to enjoy my work every day.

Can someone give me a little insight to what it's like as NYSCO?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    90% of us work some sort of day tour. 8-4,9-5,10-6 etc. Court officers do work nights and weekends in the arraignment parts. OT is command specific. You might work the magnetometers often...you might work in the courtroom, you might be working outside writing parking tickets, you might be working the Pens running prisoners all day. It all depends on the command. As far as action...I have had some but honestly getting into fights and roll arounds gets old really quick. I've seen a few officers get hurt just trying to cuff a prisoner. Who says you have to give up NYPD? if you go to the courts and don't like it you can always test for NYPD again and leave. I will say that this is still a good job. There is a lot of room for improvement and we really need a fair contract. Overall It's been good to me. I've worked with some really great people, gotten to do a lot of cool things, and have Never laughed so hard. Good luck
    http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
    NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Originally posted by unblindeacon View Post
      90% of us work some sort of day tour. 8-4,9-5,10-6 etc. Court officers do work nights and weekends in the arraignment parts. OT is command specific. You might work the magnetometers often...you might work in the courtroom, you might be working outside writing parking tickets, you might be working the Pens running prisoners all day. It all depends on the command. As far as action...I have had some but honestly getting into fights and roll arounds gets old really quick. I've seen a few officers get hurt just trying to cuff a prisoner. Who says you have to give up NYPD? if you go to the courts and don't like it you can always test for NYPD again and leave. I will say that this is still a good job. There is a lot of room for improvement and we really need a fair contract. Overall It's been good to me. I've worked with some really great people, gotten to do a lot of cool things, and have Never laughed so hard. Good luck
      Thanks for your perspective. Honestly it's because I have a 2 year old and stability is key right now. He's constantly bouncing between godparents and grandparents because I work in retail and his father is NYPD so both our schedules are all over the place.

What kills me is the unknown. I know all about the nypd process and things of that nature because I lived with an nypd officer since before he was even in the academy. I know absolutely nothing about the court officer gig except for what I've seen the times I have been to a courthouse and what I read on this forum.

As far as re testing goes, I took my nypd test in October of 2013 and my medical is scheduled for January of 2016. I don't wanna keep jumping from place to place... especially because I don't think your tenure carries over from state to city. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I wish there was something like a ride along for court officers. Lol

Comment

• deleted... please see below
        Last edited by soon2retire; 12-28-2015, 09:48 PM.
        RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• Going from state to city your time counts on the end.. You'll still have to do the 22 years or whatever it is now with nypd but whatever time you spend in courts would be added

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Everything that unblindeacon said is absolutely spot-on. The big question
            mark at this point is the Tier 6 pension system.
            RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• Originally posted by soon2retire View Post
              Everything that unblindeacon said is absolutely spot-on. The big question
              mark at this point is the Tier 6 pension system.
              You guys have been a great help. If I ever meet any of you, you got a drink on me.

I think I'm just having an existential crisis with some fear of the unknown. I've been waiting since high school to get a law enforcement job. I missed my first shot at the nypd. Now I have NYPD and NYSCO and I don't wanna make the wrong choice.

...but if state to city transfers are a thing... then maybe I'll just go with court officer first and then nypd if I really can't take being a court officer.

You guys are making it sound amazing tho. Most nypd I know complain about most of their day.

Comment

• Which ever department calls you first take, and decide from then, once you get your feet wet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rush1869 View Post
                  Which ever department calls you first take, and decide from then, once you get your feet wet.

How's the job rush?

Comment

Which ever department calls you first take, and decide from then, once you get your feet wet.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be at the same time. Both in 2016. I already scheduled the first medical for NYPD in january. And I'm almost positive I'm in the first group getting called for court officer.... maybe march-ish?

Comment

• I'm in corrections, job is pretty good so far.

Comment

I'm in corrections, job is pretty good so far.

I know you are. I'm going to the academy on the 10th

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer100 View Post
                          I'm pretty sure it's gonna be at the same time. Both in 2016. I already scheduled the first medical for NYPD in january. And I'm almost positive I'm in the first group getting called for court officer.... maybe march-ish?

Well both are great jobs... Different but great, there's gonna be pros and cons with any job... Getting on one should help you get on the other an also prepare both physically and mentally. It's kind of bittersweet that you have to pick, both are really great. It really comes down to your needs... Also Back to your child, I'm not sure but I think the courts academy might be a sleep in academy, that could also be a factor in deciding if it is indeed a sleep in academy.

Comment

• Nice! Congrats bro! All I can say is don't quit, the first week-week and a half really suck, especially the first few days, it's all mental. If u can make it passed the first week you or 2 you'll be fine.

Comment

Nice! Congrats bro! All I can say is don't quit, the first week-week and a half really suck, especially the first few days, it's all mental. If u can make it passed the first week you or 2 you'll be fine.

Thanks. How bad was the PT? I mean really

Comment

• NYS Court Officers

The PT was that bad for the most part, some of the exercises kinda sucked lol like the "Jane Fonda" but it's cool, it all becomes routine.. Just prepare for some Long days. Oh and I recommend bringing some 5 hour energy, they'll be a life saver.... Just not before exercising though, lol I found that out the hard way.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9339 users online. 438 members and 8901 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X