300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CG52712 View Post
    I failed my pre-appointment med yesterday due to the eye exam. Guess my eyes got a little worse these past few months. Anyone here have any experience getting lasik?

I have to get retested in january on my own time to be complete for the feb academy.
    Got Lasik almost 10 years ago. Best decision ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by boredlimodriver View Post
      Got Lasik almost 10 years ago. Best decision ever

How fast did you heal and get to 20/20
      ? My vision isnt that bad right now 20/50....was told it has to be 20/40 without glasses

Comment

How fast did you heal and get to 20/20
        ? My vision isnt that bad right now 20/50....was told it has to be 20/40 without glasses
        I healed within a few days. But you need to be several weeks removed from surgery before chemical agents can be used in the academy. Idk when they are used in the NYSCO academy

I was 20/15 within a week

Comment

I failed my pre-appointment med yesterday due to the eye exam. Guess my eyes got a little worse these past few months. Anyone here have any experience getting lasik?

I have to get retested in january on my own time to be complete for the feb academy.
          I did mine about 6 years ago. best decision ever. For the recovery, full recovery takes a while you should see an amazing difference within a few days. Hope that helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hi I took the dec 2014 exam. I got a 91. I know my eyes are not good enough to pass the eye exam. Should I get lasik now or wait till an investigator calls me. Do they give you enough time in advance to get lasik once they tell you to come in for a medical?
            Last edited by kk30; 12-22-2015, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kk30 View Post
              Hi I took the dec 2014 exam. I got a 91. I know my eyes are not good enough to pass the eye exam. Should I get lasik now or wait till an investigator calls me. Do you give you enough time in advance to get lasik once they tell you come in for a medical?
              Same boat. 2014 exam. #5X . My eyes are trash without contacts.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by boredlimodriver View Post
                I healed within a few days. But you need to be several weeks removed from surgery before chemical agents can be used in the academy. Idk when they are used in the NYSCO academy

I was 20/15 within a week

You get to experience the joys of pepper spray around week 10

Comment

• Hey everyone. I know most of us are just waiting to get our turn. 2014 list!! But I have questions for any of you who may already be on the job.

From my understanding, it's a 9-5ish type of job with minimal OT, nights, and weekends.

I'm currently torn because I'm in the wait for NYPD as well. I'm attracted to the action, but I'm a mom and know that the erratic NYPD schedule is, by no means, family friendly. My son's dad is NYPD and I rather he get to see at least one of his parents on a regular basis.

I just want to know that if I give up NYPD, I won't be stuck at a metal detector all day or calling people on a list to see a judge.

I'm making more at my current job than I would in either LEO position so it's not about the money, but I just want to enjoy my work every day.

Can someone give me a little insight to what it's like as NYSCO?

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer100 View Post
                    Hey everyone. I know most of us are just waiting to get our turn. 2014 list!! But I have questions for any of you who may already be on the job.

From my understanding, it's a 9-5ish type of job with minimal OT, nights, and weekends.

I'm currently torn because I'm in the wait for NYPD as well. I'm attracted to the action, but I'm a mom and know that the erratic NYPD schedule is, by no means, family friendly. My son's dad is NYPD and I rather he get to see at least one of his parents on a regular basis.

I just want to know that if I give up NYPD, I won't be stuck at a metal detector all day or calling people on a list to see a judge.

I'm making more at my current job than I would in either LEO position so it's not about the money, but I just want to enjoy my work every day.

You won't be stuck at metal detector all day all the time. There will be times when that is your post however. We rotate posts every 4 weeks. 1 post is the magnetometer. You will also be rotated through the judges as a post and from what I've seen, each judge runs their court room a different way. You might be in well or in the back of the court room.

Also depending on where you are, the posts vary. I work upstate and we do not have outside posts but some places do. It also depends on which court you are assigned to. I am assigned to family court so it's fairly busy for the most part. Some days are dead though. I have been in county court, city court and surrogates court. All are run very differently and have different people from all walks of life. You deal with nice people, mean people, rich, poor, people out to cause problems and you run into people who really appreciate what you do. It varies every single day.

Every place is different. Every day is different. It is by no means a "security" job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer100 View Post
                      Hey everyone. I know most of us are just waiting to get our turn. 2014 list!! But I have questions for any of you who may already be on the job.

Every court house is different. Where I am at people have been on the mags for years.
                      If you are looking for "action" then this is not the job for you. If you are looking for a job with great hours and benefits then yeah this is the job for you.

Comment

• Anyone know what scores will be getting called to start and when they will start calling?

Comment

• Originally posted by mike17 View Post
                          Anyone know what scores will be getting called to start and when they will start calling?
                          Well the highest scores will get called first, no one knows exactly what scores or when. Last academy for the 2009 list is tentatively scheduled for late February, so I would imagine the 2014 list doesn't hear anything until AT LEAST March.

Comment

• Originally posted by GWOTVet1985 View Post
                            You won't be stuck at metal detector all day all the time. There will be times when that is your post however. We rotate posts every 4 weeks. 1 post is the magnetometer. You will also be rotated through the judges as a post and from what I've seen, each judge runs their court room a different way. You might be in well or in the back of the court room.

Also depending on where you are, the posts vary. I work upstate and we do not have outside posts but some places do. It also depends on which court you are assigned to. I am assigned to family court so it's fairly busy for the most part. Some days are dead though. I have been in county court, city court and surrogates court. All are run very differently and have different people from all walks of life. You deal with nice people, mean people, rich, poor, people out to cause problems and you run into people who really appreciate what you do. It varies every single day.

Every place is different. Every day is different. It is by no means a "security" job.
                            Thanks a million. This helps a lot

Comment

• Man, been thinking about this job alot the past few weeks, its really tough to just "wait n see", atleast for me. I scored an 88 with a 11,400 list number...still have no idea weather this list number is good enough to be hired and frankly if I have to "wait and see" for 4 years it will drive me mad lol!

Comment

• Just take as many exams as you can

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10900 users online. 393 members and 10507 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X